coffee-fi
Dec 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #61 of 425
I'm planning on trying every flavor of canned coffee at Trader Joes.

I'm really liking their Bali Blue Moon medium roast which has a bold chocolatey flavor/aroma. I also tried their French Roast which was also pretty good. Dark, but not bitter.

The only one I'm not too big of a fan of is the Colombian Supremo. I didn't think it had very much body or boldness in flavor, in fact, I found it to be kind of boring.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #62 of 425
I've tried a lot of coffees, but having a college student's budget, I usually get some Kenyan beans at Whole Foods and write a cheaper code on the bag to make them half price.

I either French press or use my aeropress for espresso. I've tried Whole Foods espresso blends, Black Cat, local stuff from my favorite roasters in Kansas City and they were all good. Then I tried Barismo which is close to my campus. Holy ****. Smoothest, most complex and fruity espresso I had ever had, and I don't like "fruity" coffees. Unfortunately it's quite expensive. I paid something like $16 for a 12 oz bag.

I'm usually skeptical about the actual differences with coffees. They usually really come out in espresso and stay hidden in the press. I did a blind taste test with fresh Whole Foods espresso roasts, Broadway's roast (from KC), Black Cat, and Barismo, and the Barismo was the clear winner. The difference is akin to Woodford Reserve and Jack Daniels.

It's really the only coffee in a long time I've felt compelled to recommend.

barismo

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #63 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by scud80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a bit more work, but if you *really* like coffee you should roast your own. after a bit of playing around you can get the beans consistently roasted exactly how you want them and in the end you'll actually save a lot of cash vs. buying pre-roasted beans. very little waste as well as you can just roast beans at the rate you use them. unroasted beans stay good for a long time (often up to 2 years).

I agree. I roast fair trade/organic green beans to avoid toxicity and the whole institutionalized slavery thing, when I drink coffee, which is not as often these days (drinking yerba mate tea instead). I still have a soft spot for Keynan AAA Peaberry, but it's hard to find with the above conditions in place. Sumatran is very good. From my experience, green beans never go bad if they're properly cured and kept dry and out of direct sunlight, in a well-vented location.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #64 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a lot of coffees, but having a college student's budget, I usually get some Kenyan beans at Whole Foods and write a cheaper code on the bag to make them half price.

barismo

Isnt that stealing? Buy cheaper coffee until youre out of college and can afford whatever you want.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #65 of 425
I'm a BIG coffee fan, and luckily know Steve Leighton very well. He is one, if not THE best coffee roasters in Europe, up there with the best in the US too.

He has an ace email course on coffee >> Coffee 101 by Has Bean Coffee Ltd Home Coffee Course which is excellent and informative. He spends a lot of time in South America, Africa getting coffee from the families who grow it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #66 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt that stealing? Buy cheaper coffee until youre out of college and can afford whatever you want.

Yeah, What? How much of an ******* can you be to steal coffee?

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #67 of 425
I'm still fairly new to the coffee scene that isnt dunkin donuts, starbucks, etc.

recently ive been buying coffee from fairway(its a supermarket mostly in NYC or New Jersey) and their Kenya AA has been pretty good so far. I been using a press on it and it tastes great. I think once I find something good I stick with it and dont have much variety. Its also pretty cheap compared to other places here at 9 bucks a pound. One of these days I'm gonna have to try their different kinds of coffee.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #68 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is just lame, and illegal! Guess we have a thief aboard...
angry_face.gif

Enjoy your coffee. Hope it has a bitter taste...

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #69 of 425
...bitter taste

Haha, you QUACK me up!

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #70 of 425
lol..thats the first time ive ever heard of someone stealing coffee beans

u could always just buy less expensive ones until you get a source of income coming in

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #72 of 425
hahaha
smily_headphones1.gif
i like them better than starbucks but they put way too much sugar in my coffee..for some reason when i go there i always get it light and sweet but at home i make it black

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #73 of 425
actually, dunking donuts coffee seems to be one of the better fast food place coffes, i like it,

anyways, disapointed with the aeropress, im waiting for philips to return my senseo dripper.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #74 of 425
Waiting for the Freshroast SR500 to show up, I've got some Indian Monsoon Malabar just itching to be roasted!

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #75 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol..thats the first time ive ever heard of someone stealing coffee beans

And advertising He did it...lol,
A confession!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back