coffee gadgets...
Jan 17, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #661 of 668
Very nice machine!

How long will these premium looking expresso machines normally last?

I've already had 2 failures on entry-level expresso machines.:slight_frown:

Rancillio for example is a great machine, can be used by your grand children if maintained properly. My machine was already 10 years old when I bought it, that was 6 years ago. Works as good as new. BUT, these are manual machines. The automatics last you less than a printer.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #662 of 668
Some more pictures of latte art made with Rancilio Silvia at home:

7D3SrAOeZotdr9y4zz4wBrrZo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ky5csyrE0N1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kwcgvsh4wU1qzyacvo1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_kwc3jdar8g1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kwc3lnxPTS1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_krrmbxOfJQ1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

7D3SrAOeZqd2423mxCMfiAXTo1_500.jpg

Lovely photos, can you also post some pics on the expresso maker?

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #663 of 668
Rancillio for example is a great machine, can be used by your grand children if maintained properly. My machine was already 10 years old when I bought it, that was 6 years ago. Works as good as new. BUT, these are manual machines. The automatics last you less than a printer.

That's cool, thank you very much for the info. Rancillio seems to be a great machine!

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #665 of 668
Forgot to mention both of my entry-level expresso machines quit working after 1 or 2 years. :slight_frown:

Entry-level is a very relative term, hehe :wink:
Decent espresso machine never quit working, you just replace parts after years of use, but properly mainteined, they just can not break. Plastic things do break.
Entry level machines are 500$ new, or much more... metal made. Gaggia classic pro it's a decent entry level machine, cheapest, don't know current price. I had one used for 110€ though, was great. Also had a 90€ used grinder first.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #666 of 668
Mar 31, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #667 of 668
Well, my other hobby it's coffee and couldn't resist to take a pic. Unlike audio, I don't spend much money in it, the thing is that even though I do appreciate a good cup of Joe, my routine is:

Wake up (everyday 6:30 am, no days off cause work)

Choose which iem and source I'm gonna use for the morning

Get up and chat to my dogs, try to convince em to understand that I'll be out all day

Walk to my coffee machine

Make a espresso, froth some milk

Walk to my window, sit down and enjoy the only 20 minutes of my day where I can thinker anything or truly enjoy music. (By the way, guess where I started this post)

So my morning routine has to be fast and efficient, j had a Breville infuser but for the first 2 years I had it, it was used and abused in my restaurant. When it came down to buying a new one I had to put everything in a balance I really wanted to get a rancillio Silva or a gaggia classic pro, even saw some mods and etc. Got the Breville bambino plus, I was actually disappointed at the beginning, even ordered the return from Amazon. But there's 2 things about it that are truly exceptional:

I can start brewing right away, literally, 3 seconds and the machine is ready. 2 passes with the single shot and the element is ready

The milk steamer it's ready to go as soon as I pulled my shot. And the pressure it's quite good. The auto frothing option hasn't worked at all with me but I'm guessing that it has to do with Mexico city altitude

I have an old aeropress and a trusty v60 that can make amazing specialty coffees but those are collecting dust since I have no time lately.

Maybe in the future I'll get something better. For now, it's a good setup.

The Breville grinder it's a workhorse. It's not the best but it's quite reliable, there's not much variations in yields per grind, I pull 18grs / 19grs for 36/ 38 extraction. I used to weight the pull but I gave away my scale a couple of months ago. Though I'm used to my cups, so I know where I have to reach hehehe

Attachments

• 1648741864304216074370571229281.jpg
    1648741864304216074370571229281.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #668 of 668
budget coffee grinder review #3
(#1 and #2 are in the other coffee thread)

Enzoo EZ-20A countertop coffee grinder, conical burr, 110v AC

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

Currently $50~ $60 on amazon and ebay. Amazon reviews indicate multiple design & QC problems but the detachable grinder-head arrangement intrigued me, so I bought one to play with.

this one is the reddish-brown version, the color is close to terracotta. (in the photo: the hopper lid next to a small flower pot)
IMG_0684.JPG

Conclusion:
Not recommended, do not bother, not worth the time. All else aside, this grinder produces way too much fines.

the good:
** relatively quiet when running

the bad:
** got a bad unit, the front control panel is non-functional. The LED's will blink and +/- button will turn on different LED's and the portafilter holder will detect the presence of portafilter, but...... I could not get the motor to run. So I didn't get to use it before taking it apart.
** the red color is from some kind of powder coating. They didn't clean the parts well after the coating process, loose red powder is present in un-coated area, including the underside of hopper lid and ground collector lid. It will get into the coffee if not cleaned off thoroughly.
(If you have to get one of these, I'd suggest getting a black verion. Assuming black plastic material doesn't need additional surface coating.)

IMG_0627.JPG

** those two little screws holding the hopper gate piece are too short/small, no holding power whatsoever. Plastic material in the hole is stripped, screws just sit in the hole and can fall out at any time (when that happens: hopper falls off the grinder, screw jams the burr and motor overheats).
IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

** coffee ground outlet funnel gets clogged by fines (amazon reviews). The funnel needs mod, or just not using the funnel piece (to do that the grind head needs to be set a certain way)
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

** powdery fines build up around the auger piece, requires frequent cleaning. This happens even when set to the coarsest setting. (no solutions)
IMG_0681.JPG

** lots of static build up in the ground collector.
** way too much fines (see below)

Fine/Coarse setting is done by rotating a metal ring, very convenient. It will do from medium-fine (table sugar size) to medium-coarse (coarser than commercial pre-grounded coffee). I don't think it can go fine enough for espresso purpose, I tried some and the juice came out a little fast.
I took the grinder head apart and adjust the "fine" to "burr barely-chirping", but the result was not much different from the factory setting.

---- update: after some use and running at low voltage (~50v), the grind from the finest setting works ok in my steam espresso maker, but the juice is a bit bitter.
I sifted some grounds (at the finest setting) and got 14g of ultra fines and 71g of usable espresso/moka-pot size.
The ultra fines are floury ( I used it for turkish style coffee and worked well. )

There is still a lot of powdery fines build up around the auger piece even at the coarsest setting, so the ground uniformity is not very good.
Maybe ok to grind for the office coffee maker but that is about it.

--- update after about 2 week of use:
works ok in the office, grind at #7 for a basic Mr-coffee drip coffee maker. maybe slightly bitter but we are not picky, the beans used are cheap (mostly eight-o'clock, seattle's-best etc). The result is good enough for the intended purpose.
But this machine is really only ok for that one setting (#7~#8, drip coffee size). It produces way too much powdery fines at lower settings, espresso/moka results are bitter; even at the coarsest setting #10, which produces large (and inconsistent) chunks, there is still 20% fines (fine enough to use in a moka-pot).
Overall about 1/3 of the grounds are "way too fine" for a given setting.
The burr set in this machine is just no good.

The Mueller Ultra-grind looks to be of a similar design ( the base is a little different), maybe it has a better burr set.

power consumption:
60w at normal 115v AC, free spinning;

This grinder will run on either AC or DC power. (motor is a DC motor, there is a bridge rectifier on the circuit board)
Lower supply voltage => slower grind, much less electrostatic build up, much lower sound level.
power consumption when grinding dark roasted beans: 20w at 45v AC; 16w at 24w AC.

grind speed ( 18 grams, at the finest grind setting, Peets French roast)
--normal 115v AC: 35 seconds
--48v DC: 1m40s
--24v DC: 4m30s ; very quiet operation, just a low rumbling sound.
grounds from lower RPM grinding seems to be a bit more consistent.

Must-Do mods:
** replace the hopper gate screws to longer screws.
** remove the center section of outlet funnel (pictured above)

further mods:
** By-pass the front panel control, add an in-line switch in the power cord to manually turn it on/off (or just plug/unplug the power cord).
This requires removing the bottom plate, take out the PCB and add one jumper wire to by-pass the relay. Logic-related wires can be left unplugged from the board.
IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

** electrically grounding the burr, and use a metal coffee ground collector, to reduce/prevent electrostatic build up. It is a little tricky to ground the burr, the metal fine/coarse adjustment ring is not connected to the burr.

The locking of the outlet funnel moves a plastic ramp in the grinder head. The ram must be up to trip the "grinder head presence" interlock. To run the grinder without the funnel: rotate the outter ring (underside of grind head) counter-clock-wise to raise the ramp.
IMG_0674 c.jpg

IMG_0675.JPG

after rotation:
IMG_0676 c.jpg

IMG_0677.JPG

But "not using the funnel" won't bring much benefit, fine powder still cakes around the auger head.

grind-head-detection interlock switch
IMG_0661.JPG

motor and gear assembly
IMG_0662.JPG

motor, marked "DC120v 150w".
Notice the 2020.10.22 which looks to be a date code. But the date code on the base-plate label shows 2010. Maybe this is a refurbished/rebuilt unit (and the front panel still doesn't work)
IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

steel conical burr, the inner burr is about 31mm OD
IMG_0683.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back