coffee gadgets...
Apr 30, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #631 of 668
  The US of A. I would be surprised if you could find a grinder available online in only one country. I'm not trying to buy artisan coffee grinders made by Japanese craftsmen here.

Well, there are certain brands that will be more expensive in one country than another, with import charges etc. For instance, an American-made grinder would probably work out cheaper than a Morphy Richards (British) or a Delonghi (Italian).

Seeing as I'm in the UK, I'll leave it to the USA Head-Fi members to make recommendations for what's available at the best price in your market.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #632 of 668
  Well, there are certain brands that will be more expensive in one country than another, with import charges etc. For instance, an American-made grinder would probably work out cheaper than a Morphy Richards (British) or a Delonghi (Italian).

Seeing as I'm in the UK, I'll leave it to the USA Head-Fi members to make recommendations for what's available at the best price in your market.

What do you use PalJoey?

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #633 of 668
  What do you use PalJoey?

I used to use a blade grinder, which was cheap and reliable, but left significant large bits of bean unground.

Then, about 6 months ago, I was browsing Amazon.co.uk and noticed that a De'Longhi KG79 burr grinder was temporarily on a 40% discount. A much more even grind, so much more flavour extracted per bean.

Now the blade grinder is only brought out of the cupboard for blitzing coriander, chilli, coconut cream and lemon juice when I need Bhel Puri green sauce.

There's a website called CamelCamelCamel which you can use to track price variations of selected products, so if you are patient, you could get yourself an electric burr grinder on a discount if you keep tracking the discounts.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #634 of 668
^Good advice.

Also, there is a mod for the Hario manual grinders that helps even out the coarse grinds.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #635 of 668
Well, my electric burr grinder died on me. So I dug out my spare (blade) grinder - also dead as a doornail.

Luckily I still had an even older blade grinder, a very cheap Starbucks-branded one, which hadn't been used in a few years, but still worked. So there is one thing you can buy from Starbucks that's actually any good at all!

I now have a manual burr grinder on order; also a discounted item. Less to go wrong, and a little exercise before a brew makes it feel more like you've earned it!

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #636 of 668
I'm just starting to experiment with different kinds of coffee to use in my French press.I have a cheap Kyocera branded manual burr grinder that works OK for a course grind. I'm eying one of the Orphan Espresso Lido models, but have to save up for it (spent too much on headphones last month).

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #637 of 668
  Well, my electric burr grinder died on me. So I dug out my spare (blade) grinder - also dead as a doornail.

Luckily I still had an even older blade grinder, a very cheap Starbucks-branded one, which hadn't been used in a few years, but still worked. So there is one thing you can buy from Starbucks that's actually any good at all!

I now have a manual burr grinder on order; also a discounted item. Less to go wrong, and a little exercise before a brew makes it feel more like you've earned it!

The manual grinder has arrived, and is doing a decent job so far. Still experimenting with the grind settings to see how fine it will go.

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #638 of 668
I used to drink 6-8 cups of ordinary (bad)coffee per day. Now i decided to cut it down, and concentrate on quality instead of amount.
Three cups per day now, weekday mornings and weekends i enjoy with these:

IMG_2145.jpeg

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #640 of 668
This is my setup. The single dose grinder is more expensive than the espresso machine.

espresso machine and grinder.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #642 of 668
kafatek.com KafaTek Monolith Conical Grinder. Quite a bit for expensive than the Niche. They are all hand made and are limited production. Also you can go to forums.kafatek.com

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #644 of 668
kafatek.com KafaTek Monolith Conical Grinder. Quite a bit for expensive than the Niche. They are all hand made and are limited production. Also you can go to forums.kafatek.com
Looking at their site now. Wow. Quite a monster.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #645 of 668
When they go up for sale they are sold out within 5 seconds. Dennis puts them up for sale about about two or three times a year. He builds about 50 to 100 units. You leave your deposit. About four to five month later you pay the balance, and the product is shipped to you. Each unit is tested and comes with a full detailed inspection sheet showing all details including coffee extraction, alignment of burrs, etc, etc. Used ones come up for sale occasionally when someone was able to snag a new one. Used ones are rarely sold for less than the retail price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back