coffee gadgets...
Sep 13, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing high tech here...I pour boiling water through a small, hand-held fine mesh strainer. Seems to work okay. Maybe a minute or two to make a cup. Quick clean up. Maybe I'm missing out on something
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, it's just like headphones - if it's good for you then that's all that counts.
cool.gif

A_Sr.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #34 of 668
I'm also a very satisfied Aeropress user.

I use it with a Solis burr grinder and with a grind that's a bit finer than for drip coffee but not as fine as espresso and I get great results following the Aeropress instructions ... especially with nice some Guatemala Antigua from my local roaster.

What I like most about the Aeropress is that it's such a simple device but allows you to produce a great cup of coffee nonetheless.
Although I would also like to have a nice espresso machine it just shows that you don't need to spend thousands to drink good coffee ...

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 668
I'm planning to get a Maestro Plus (refurb) once I return my recently bought Capresso Infinity. (It leaves too many grounds in the burr chamber) Still haven't decided on which method to use, french press or Aero. For those of you who've tried both, which do you like better?

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #36 of 668
Not exactly a gear question:

I'm slowly working my way up from the cheaper (Tescos) pre-ground coffee for my french press to find a reasonably priced good cup of coffee at home. Where do UK coffee-fiers get their beans from?

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #37 of 668
Can't speak from experience but I've heard a few good reports for Hasbean.

For the Aussies: I am currently infatuated with CoffeeHit's offerings.

As soon work gives me some time to scratch myself, I'm going to pick up some seals for the Europiccola, soon I'll be cooking with...slightly cooler water than current.

My old man recently purchased a Presso for his work. The craze is catching on...

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 668
I love my Bodum Chambord press coffee maker.
The press can, dark roasted coffee, and some hot water. That's all I need for a taste of heaven.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #39 of 668
chemex & melitta manual

Too hard to clean a french press--grinds end up all over the floor.

One odd thing about the chemex coffee... it's so "clean" due to that lab-grade filter paper that it took over 100 pots just rinsing it with hot water to get as (barely) noticeably dingy as 2 pots in my drip using regular filters. It really does filter out all the oils. Definitely not for everyone's taste, or mine always, so I use the melitta as a backup. Only wish it had a metal or glass filter basket, not plastic.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #40 of 668
Amazing gear, guys. I boil coffee in a narrow saucepan, and gravity filter. I have a [French] french press, but I only use it when I am in a hurry, as it is a lot of trouble to clean. I think I will buy an aeropress - a good excuse to cruise out to Lawrence anyway. The website listed no outlets here in Cowtown.

Laz

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #41 of 668
i've recently been looking at hand burr grinders. the ones from Zassenhaus are especially good-looking...methinks another hobby might be at hand
wink.gif

i have a manual burr grinder i keep in my office with my aeropress, but it's not as nice as these Zassenhaus ones. there's a nice collection of antique manual burr grinders that show up on ebay quite often...

zass.151MA.jpg

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing high tech here...I pour boiling water through a small, hand-held fine mesh strainer. Seems to work okay. Maybe a minute or two to make a cup. Quick clean up. Maybe I'm missing out on something
smily_headphones1.gif

gshan, the only comment i would make about this method is that the grounds are not fully-extracted, so you lose a lot of the oils and other compounds that make for a really good cup of coffee. even without a french press, if you pour your hot water into the grounds, stir it, and let it steep for 4 minutes prior to straining it, i think your cup will be that much better! my 2 cents
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #43 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've recently been looking at hand burr grinders. the ones from Zassenhaus are especially good-looking...methinks another hobby might be at hand
wink.gif

i have a manual burr grinder i keep in my office with my aeropress, but it's not as nice as these Zassenhaus ones. there's a nice collection of antique manual burr grinders that show up on ebay quite often...

zass.151MA.jpg

You can get zass from sweetmarias, but they only get a few shipments every now and then. (I was emailing them a few weeks ago before I decided to get an automatic grinder) Sadly, the newer grinders aren't comparable in quality to the originals...

BTW, how's the aeropress? I've been reading up on it, I'm still not sure if I want it or a french press. Supposedly you need a polyester filter to keep most of the coffee oils intact. (and I don't know where to get any)

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #44 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, how's the aeropress? I've been reading up on it, I'm still not sure if I want it or a french press. Supposedly you need a polyester filter to keep most of the coffee oils intact. (and I don't know where to get any)

Check out the reviews at Coffee Geek, it's pretty much the head-fi of the coffee world.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #45 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the reviews at Coffee Geek, it's pretty much the head-fi of the coffee world.

Thanks, but I've already been there. (been reading LOTS of threads in the past months)
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back