Cognitive Bias- The Home Game!
May 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is a fun exercise for us... Choose one of these ten types of cognitive bias and think up a way that it relates to home audio. Just do one, don't burn through all ten. Leave some fun for everyone else to choose one too. Click through the links to the detailed definitions. Extra credit if you can think of examples where you yourself were blinded by bias. Bias is fun!

#1 Overconfidence Bias
Overconfidence results from someone’s false sense of their skill, talent, or self-belief. It can be a dangerous bias and is very prolific in behavioral finance and capital markets. The most common manifestations of overconfidence include the illusion of control, timing optimism, and the desirability effect. (The desirability effect is the belief that something will happen because you want it to.)

#2 Self Serving Bias
Self-serving cognitive bias is the propensity to attribute positive outcomes to skill and negative outcomes to luck. In other words, we attribute the cause of something to whatever is in our own best interest. Many of us can recall times that we’ve done something and decided that if everything is going to plan, it’s due to skill, and if things go the other way, then it’s just bad luck.

#3 Herd Mentality
Herd mentality is when investors blindly copy and follow what other famous investors are doing. When they do this, they are being influenced by emotion, rather than by independent analysis. There are four main types: self-deception, heuristic simplification, emotion, and social bias.

#4 Loss Aversion
Loss aversion is a tendency for investors to fear losses and avoid them more than they focus on trying to make profits. Many investors would rather not lose $2,00 than earn $3,000. The more losses one experiences, the more loss averse they likely become.

#5 Framing Cognitive Bias
Framing is when someone makes a decision because of the way information is presented to them, rather than based just on the facts. In other words, if someone sees the same facts presented in a different way, they are likely to come to a different conclusion about the information. Investors may pick investments differently, depending on how the opportunity is presented to them.

#6 Narrative Fallacy
The narrative fallacy occurs because we naturally like stories and find them easier to make sense of and relate to. It means we can be prone to choose less desirable outcomes due to the fact they have a better story behind them. This cognitive bias is similar to the framing bias.

#7 Anchoring Bias
Anchoring is the idea that we use pre-existing data as a reference point for all subsequent data, which can skew our decision-making processes. If you see a car that costs $85,000 and then another car that costs $30,000, you could be influenced to think the second car is very cheap. Whereas, if you saw a $5,000 car first and the $30,000 one second, you might think it’s very expensive.

#8 Confirmation Bias
Confirmation bias is the idea that people seek out information and data that confirms their pre-existing ideas. They tend to ignore contrary information. This can be a very dangerous cognitive bias in business and investing.

#9 Hindsight Bias
Hindsight bias is the theory that when people predict a correct outcome, they wrongly believe that they “knew it all along”.

#10 Representativeness Heuristic
Representativeness heuristic is a cognitive bias that happens when people falsely believe that if two objects are similar, then they are also correlated with each other. That is not always the case.

Source: https://corporatefinanceinstitute.c...g-investing/list-top-10-types-cognitive-bias/

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 7
bought my speakers because I admire the Harman guys.
bought my ADC because Arny Krueger suggested it.
bought my EQ because Bob Katz suggested it.
bought an ODAC/O2 because I admired the efforts from Nwavguy to vulgarize electrical knowledge applied to audio.
got a HD650 because we had one at some point in time at home, and also the father of a buddy had one and I highly respected that person on many levels including audio stuff.

so if I had to pick a bias, I couldn't because I'm perfect and I can appeal to authority at anytime to prove that I'm right. :imp:

May 12, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Choose one of these ten types of cognitive bias and think up a way that it relates to home audio. Just do one, don't burn through all ten. Leave some fun for everyone else to choose one too.

Do I have to "think up a way" myself or can I just randomly pick pretty much any Review on head-fi and copy and paste it? Presumably that wouldn't be fair though, as I'd be "burning through all ten"! :)

G

May 13, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 7
#3 - Herd Mentality applies to people buying on the advice of reviewers. The irony is that most reviewers are not investing their money, they're getting the reviewed items for free, what they are investing is their time to do the review. A lot of headfi'ers buy on the advice of reviewers because they like how the review is written or presented or trust / like the reviewer.

You also see it when it comes to pairing set ups. When someone says a certain iem works well with a certain DAP, everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

The 'hired Actors' part of the article made me smile, it's akin to my thoughts of several reviewers.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 7
I like it when reviewers try to get their reader to pay attention to their opinions by throwing out references to all the music they listened to on the equipment... "So and so's drums sounded much sharper and more detailed." "The full musicality of so and so's album comes through with sparkling liquidity." That sort of stuff... It usually has the opposite effect with me, because they seem to always refer to hipster music that is released on some sort of esoteric audiophile format like blu-ray audio or DVD-A.

The bandwagon effect is extremely common in internet forums. I hear people repeating "common knowledge" as fact all the time. When you ask them how they know that to be true, they get confused and can't believe anyone would question it... even if a simple test would verify that it's true. The biggest one of those is the lossy/lossless night and day difference, but I hear repeated descriptions of "sound signatures" too.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 7
I like it when reviewers try to get their reader to pay attention to their opinions by throwing out references to all the music they listened to on the equipment... "So and so's drums sounded much sharper and more detailed." "The full musicality of so and so's album comes through with sparkling liquidity." That sort of stuff... It usually has the opposite effect with me, because they seem to always refer to hipster music that is released on some sort of esoteric audiophile format like blu-ray audio or DVD-A.

The bandwagon effect is extremely common in internet forums. I hear people repeating "common knowledge" as fact all the time. When you ask them how they know that to be true, they get confused and can't believe anyone would question it... even if a simple test would verify that it's true. The biggest one of those is the lossy/lossless night and day difference, but I hear repeated descriptions of "sound signatures" too.

I see your point, but a reviewer who doesn't tell what music was used is lazy. How can I try to verify what was written if I can't listen to the same tracks? I've been trying to identify whether a sound in the Foo Fighter's cymbals is intentional, or is a failing of my gear, or just poor recordings. I have yet to decide. If a review of a headphone mentioned that the Foo's cymbals sounded great, I'd be much more interested in hearing that headphone than if they just spewed the same old audiophile verbiage without the artist and track information. I also appreciate a list of the tracks used somewhere in a review/post. It helps to have a good frame of reference.

Back on topic...sorry.

#8 - Confirmation Bias

I really really really wanted (and still do to a degree) to believe that multibit dacs are better than delta sigma. The belief that a better solution to a problem must exist helps to create a positive outlook for the future. We all want that I think. To me, confirmation bias in audio can be an issue in pre and post purchase. I want something to be *better* than what I currently have, so I search for reviews/articles that will firm up what I WANT to be true. I would read reviews and posts praising multibit topology. After purchasing a multibit DAC, I would find myself doing the same thing to justify my purchase. Any review/post that seemed to paint multibit DACs as being inferior or equal to "normal" DACS would be met with skepticism. When a hope or dream is involved, it's very hard to remain logical and objective. I really really want my beautiful snowflake DAC to produce more natural sounding treble, so I read things that tell me that it does/will, while dismissing claims to the contrary.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 7
[1] How can I try to verify what was written if I can't listen to the same tracks?
[2] I really really really wanted (and still do to a degree) to believe that multibit dacs are better than delta sigma. The belief that a better solution to a problem must exist helps to create a positive outlook for the future.

1. And how can you verify what was written if you do listen to the same tracks? If you do "verify" what was written by listening to the same tracks, how do you know that you've actually verified it or if all you've verified is that your perception can be influenced by the reviewer's suggestions (of say a more detailed reproduction)?

2. That can sometimes be true but can also be the exact opposite. For example, if a solution to a problem is already perfect (or at least perfect beyond the limits of audibility), then the belief that "a better solution must exist" creates absolutely nothing, with just one exception; the opportunity to be ripped-off by snake oil salesmen, which for me is the exact opposite of a "positive outlook for the future"!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back