Combined portable amp and dac: Anything better than E17?
Oct 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rG-tom

Head-Fier
Hey,

I am looking for a portable combined headphone amp and usb dac, is there anything that betters the E17 without going crazy money? Can get the E17 for about £85 brand new now.

Was considering a Xonar STX but it would then restrict me to one source, where as i can use the E17 as a dac even with my galaxy s3 by all accounts, making it far more appealing!

I've heard the E09k is not worth getting to go with the E17? None of my headphones are crazy hard to drive (DT770-80, UE TF10, JVC HA-S500).

Any input is appreciated :)

Thanks,

Tom.

PS how big an upgrade will this be from the amp below, being used with a Creative X-Fi Xtreme? I dont have the spec other than OPA2227

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm also interested in this, currently torn between the E17, iBasso D2+ and D4, and Leckerton UHA-4 and -6 MkII. I'm just not sure any of these are as portable as I'd want them to be for pocket-listening...

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Where as i can use the E17 as a DAC even with my galaxy s3 by all accounts, making it far more appealing!

PS how big an upgrade will this be from the amp below, being used with a Creative X-Fi Xtreme? I don't have the spec other than OPA2227

Does the Galaxy S3 come with a USB or optical or coaxial digital output?
If your Creative X-Fi Xtreme (music? or gamer?) comes with an optical output, you should be able to connect with the E17's optical input.
Guess you will get CMSS-3D surround sound from the E17's headphone jack,
Audio quality should improve using the E17's optical connection.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Does the Galaxy S3 come with a USB or optical or coaxial digital output?
If your Creative X-Fi Xtreme (music? or gamer?) comes with an optical output, you should be able to connect with the E17's optical input.
Guess you will get CMSS-3D surround sound from the E17's headphone jack,
Audio quality should improve using the E17's optical connection.

The galaxy s3 can deliver audio over usb, though it looks like until a software update it only works with the E7 not the E17, supposedly fixed in jellybean though!

I was planning to use USB from my PC, is there a benefit to using the optical? Im guessing it means i can let the soundcard do the processing of game effects etc that way?

Thanks,

Tom.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
The galaxy s3 can deliver audio over usb, though it looks like until a software update it only works with the E7 not the E17, supposedly fixed in jellybean though!
I was planning to use USB from my PC, is there a benefit to using the optical? I'm guessing it means i can let the sound card do the processing of game effects etc that way?

USB out of your PC is simple PCM (uncompressed) 2-channel (stereo) digital audio signal. S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) can also carry the same basic PCM 2-channel digital audio signal.
Where as some sound cards can pre-process 5.1 or 7.1 headphone surround sound and send the digital audio signal thru the sound card's S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) to an external DAC/amp, for use by headphones.
S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) can also carry up to 7-channels of compressed audio, but the E17 can not read or process more then a 2-channel PCM digital audio signal.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 7
I am using an S3 and UHA-6S.MKII and it is amazing!! I have not bypassed the DAC yet but that is not a problem, and I will be doing that ASAP. I just sold the Fiio e17 for the Leckerton and it seems to be a pretty big upgrade(to my ears). Just my two cents..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back