Combo 2 headphones : APM + HIFiMAN
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fredparis11

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

This is my first message. I'm coming to this forum to get the opinion of knowledgeable amateurs First of all, sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker, I'm French and I live in Paris.

To give you a little context, the equipment I currently have is almost nothing... I only have two audio sources: my iPhone and a Macbook Air. With various subscriptions to streaming services (Amazon Music HD, Apple Music, Spotify). I used to listen to music through my stolen APM (which was stolen from me this summer in Spain) and I also had a FOCAL XS 2.1 system connected to my computer, but it is nearing the end of its life (more than 11 years old, it's starting to crackle everywhere…). I really want to be able to listen to quality sound at home and when I'm on public transportation.
I'm lucky enough to be a freelancer and therefore work from home, so I spend a lot of time in my (small) apartment and don't commute much. Sorry for the long presentation, but I wanted to give you some context.

Initially, I wanted to start by buying a quality BT ANC headphone. I'm currently trying out 3 models at home: APM, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95, B&W PX8. Three good headphone models that could meet my needs, but I'm hesitating a lot between the APM for its features (NC, Transparency, ease of use with iPhone and MacBook) and the H95 (what great sound!). The PX8 doesn't convince me. I almost wanted to buy a FOCAL Bathys for a very good headphone for both home and outdoor use.
But finally, I thought: why not buy two headphones?
  • an APM to listen to my music when I'm on the train, metro, or casually at home, and also to make my phone calls,
  • an open-back headphone like the HIfiMAN Edition XS + a DAC AMP like the iFi Hip-dac2 or iFI Zen DAC V2 (I don't know anything about DACs, I don't know how to choose in this price range, around 200 or 300 euros) for a more qualitative and immersive listening experience at home, when I work at my desk or in bed at night.
I'm wondering if this choice is a good idea. I tested a HIFIMAN DEVA headphone for a week and was blown away! But obviously it's impossible to use outside and even at home, it's only for when you're alone.

In the future, I want to replace my home cinema (Yamaha YAS 207) which is connected to my TV with a coherent HIFI system for both music and TV sound. I hope a HIFI system can be used in both configurations. I was thinking of getting a system: streamer, DAC/amp, passive speakers.
I have no audio source at home except my computer and iPhone. No CD player, no turntable. Hence the idea of buying a streamer to access my streaming accounts (I don't have any MP3s).

Well, the post was a bit long, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible. There are probably others missing!

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back