Comfort AND Audio Quality...? Yes? No...?
Apr 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

one19

New Head-Fier
Hey y'all.

I currently own and enjoy a pair of Shure 440s and a pair of Klipsch Image S-4s. I like both in terms of sound signature, etc. The problem for me is that the Shure's become exceedingly uncomfortable after while, sometimes in as little as half an hour. Can anyone recommend a pair of cans that sound great and are wearable for hours at a time? I listen to progressive rock, classical, jazz, and easy stuff like Norah Jones, Dylan, etc. My source audio is high(er) res files, but I'm planning to re-rip my stuff to a lossless format. I'd like to spend around $150.00, but I could be persuaded to spend a little more if necessary.

I'm open-minded and have no brand preferences, so lay it on me. And thanks for your time!

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 17
Both the higher end beyerdynamic and sennheiser headphones have good fit with velour pads that won't get really sweaty.

The audio technica dynamic air series are either hit or miss on comfort, but a lot of people label them as comfort king-- the 3d wing system that replaces the typical headband goes a long way in reducing pressure on the head.  I love the comfort of the AD700, even though it can be loose.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 17
They're pretty good for a 100 dollar pair of cans, not something to be extremely wow'd over though.  Solid and formal bass presence, but not super punchy or boomy, and good highs.  Mids seemed detailed but not the most separated or analytical.  Their comfort and fit is very good (admittedly a tiny bit of pressure on very top of headband) but their main disadvantage is that they're closed ands seal exceptionally well using pleather pads.  That means they get rather warm and sweaty over time (about half an hour for me)

The sweatiness is actually one of the bigger reasons I made the switch to beyerdynamic.  The sennheisers can be just as comfy from what I tried out in stores, although I didn't really give them 2 hour long listening sessions.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Beyer and Denon are the way to go if you want absolute comfort. I'm not too sure on the lower end Denons, but my D7000 (and anything in the line) is just ridiculously comfortable. Can't comment on the D2000 sound, but you'd get the comfort and lowest price of the range.

Beyers are known around here for being really comfortable as well. The velours are often the go to pad for modders that want more comfort. You may be able to snag a DT 770 or DT 880 for $200.

Granted, these are both over your budget, but they are the absolute best for comfort.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001 are very comfy, sound great, and are below your price range.

M50 after stretching out the headband is 9/10 in comfort, though it can get hot. If you get closed headphones, expect this from all of them.

The Sennheiser 5xx series are very comfortable. You might be able to score the HD598 for about $160 if you shop around. They are very, very good. Rich mids, and crystal clear highs. They are open and don't get hot. The 558 is cheaper, and I've heard they can be quite close to the 598 in sound.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 17
M50 after stretching out the headband is 9/10 in comfort, though it can get hot. If you get closed headphones, expect this from all of them.

When it comes to the M50s, this is absolutely correct. If you bend them just a little they are very comfortable, if not then they are a bit tight. The M50s are excellent all rounders and are good for the money, but they aren't quite as amazing as some think and they aren't giant killers by any means. You'd be happy with them, I'm sure. Same with Beyerdynamics or some other great cans. The Fischer Audio FA003 and the newly review FA011 look really promising too.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 17
Doing some research... what's the consensus on Sennheiser HD595s...? Comfy? Quality?

I liked them the small amount I heard them. I think and open headphone could definitely work for you with you genre preferences. Especially the easy listening stuff.

It has been a long time, so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Although I would suggest something open for you.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 17
I dunno I personally wouldn't put anything that has a tendency to cause for sweaty ears at a 9/10.  I'd personally give the M50 a 6/10 and the AD700 an 8/10.

Well then, all closed headphones would give you sweaty ears then, as most use leather/pleather. I don't think its fair to call closed headphones uncomfortable because of that. Its just the nature of the enclosed design, which traps heat and causesa sweating.

and FYI, I'd give the AD700 a 5/10 in comfort. You can look in the AD700 uncomfortable thread which is relatively new. I posted why I hated their comfort. In short; they're absurdly loose that you have to do a balancing act to keep them on, the drivers can cause static shock, the velours are itchy, the bandless design sucks something big (IMHO), among other things.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 17
What would u guys say about a pair of Grado 60's with fancy replacement ear cushions...? I've been reading that this combination is both comfortable and sound-enhancing... the cushions I've located are on Amazon...they're big, yellow, and get rave reviews as a mod for Grados

Users who are viewing this thread

Back