Comfortable alternatives to ATH-M50's?
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
The ATH-M50's are pretty much the best sounding headphones I've had. But, they are so uncomfortable for me. I even tried putting cotton under the pads, but it still bothers me after an hour.

Can anyone recommend me another set that you can wear for a long time and sounds similar to the ATH-M50s? I heard the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO's are very comfortable but have high sibilance...

Please help! Try to keep it under $200 please! Thank you! :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
The ATH-M50's are pretty much the best sounding headphones I've had. But, they are so uncomfortable for me. I even tried putting cotton under the pads, but it still bothers me after an hour.

Can anyone recommend me another set that you can wear for a long time and sounds similar to the ATH-M50s? I heard the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO's are very comfortable but have high sibilance...

DT770 PRO. High sibilance is a stretch. They're bright. But I wouldn't even call it more bright than the M50.
The Denon D2000. Find one used for your price range.
Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads. Inexpensive, but bests the M50 in every way, and is way more comfortable with the velour pads.

Very best,

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:

Try the denon D1100.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
DT770 PRO. High sibilance is a stretch. They're bright. But I wouldn't even call it more bright than the M50.
Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads. Inexpensive, but bests the M50 in every way, and is way more comfortable with the velour pads.

Very best,

The M50 is not bright at all! The DT770 Pro is definitely brighter than the M50. But "bright" is not really the right term. More like, "harsh highs."
I would say Shure SRH750 DJ, wihch is better than the M50 in every way, but I think it's even more uncomfortable than the M50. Your mileage may vary, though, so you might want to try it, it may fit your head's comfort requirements.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

The M50 is not bright at all! The DT770 Pro is definitely brighter than the M50. But "bright" is not really the right term. More like, "harsh highs."
I would say Shure SRH750 DJ, wihch is better than the M50 in every way, but I think it's even more uncomfortable than the M50. Your mileage may vary, though, so you might want to try it, it may fit your head's comfort requirements.

Harsh - Grating, abrasive. Too much upper midrange. Peaks in the frequency response between 2 and 6 kHz. Or, excessive phase shift in a digital recorder's low pass filter.

Ok. go with harsh then. It's not good either way. And the beyer is not harsh. It's bright.

Very best,

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Harsh - Grating, abrasive. Too much upper midrange. Peaks in the frequency response between 2 and 6 kHz. Or, excessive phase shift in a digital recorder's low pass filter.

Ok. go with harsh then. It's not good either way. And the beyer is not harsh. It's bright.

Very best,

The M50 isn't bright, but you nailed it. Somehow, the treble's funky; not funky-good like the HD25 but more funky-bad like... you get the point. But it isn't really that fatiguing though.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 12
So, should I go with the DT 770 pro-80's if I want something similar to the M50's but more comfortable?

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
So, should I go with the DT 770 pro-80's if I want something similar to the M50's but more comfortable?

Yes, but they're totally different. IMO the M50 is less bright and has more forward mids (compared to the DT-770 Pro 80).
The DT-770 Pro 80 is much more bass heavy than the M50 to me and is much harder to drive despite being 80 ohm.
My Nuforce Icon Mobile and a Sansa device can't drive it to very loud volume levels.

DT-770 Pro's comfort is very good since the cups are deeper than the DT-880 and DT-990.

BTW the imaging and soundstage of the DT-770 Pro has the M50 beat. M50 just felt far, far more balanced sounding. This was the white boxed version.
The DT-770 Pro is less bass heavy though if you don't connect it to a super powerful amp.

I bet the DT-770 Premium might be closer to the M50, but I don't know for sure. You'd have to get it used to come under $200 though. Pro version is $167 and is fairly bass heavy.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Very best,

$27 headphones (Panasonic HTF600) beat the $150 Audio Technica ATH-M50 in every way?  holy crap, are you serious?  i might pick up a pair if that's true and they're really $27 (just checked amazon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back