Comfortable Headphones for Indie/Dubstep
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

JR4599638

Head-Fier
Hi, everyone. I came here looking for a new pair of headphones, mostly for casual home listening. I currently own ATH-WS55's, which respond well to the music I listen to (Indie Pop/Dubstep/Indie Rock, my favorite artists being Muse, Arkasia, Vexare, and Alt-J). The only concern I have about them is that they have a tight clamping force on my head, and the cups are too small for my ears. I can't listen for 20 minutes without a headache that lasts for hours. I was looking into the SRH840's, UE6000's, ATH-M50's, or AD900X's, and hoping I could get a recommendation of these that suit my interests. I'm willing to spend anything that costs $80-$200. Here are the requirements for the headphones:

Audio

Frequency Response:
-Bass has to be present, but cannot drown out the other frequencies like Beats. I'm afraid the AD900X's don't have enough bass or clarity in bass.
-Mids have to be present, clear, and warm. I love mids in all types of music.
-Treble has to be clear, but not harsh (my ears are sensitive to sibilant cymbal crashes). I don't care about treble as much.
Soundstage: There has to be some soundstage, but it's not one of my major concerns.
Isolation/Sound Leakage: There must be enough isolation so riding in a car doesn't drown out the bass, anything more is fine. It must have little sound leakage (another reason I'm concerned about the AD900X's).
Sensitivity: They must be able to be driven by a laptop or iPhone, because I'm uninterested in an external amplifier.
Resistance: I don't care.

Comfort

Anything more comfortable than my WS55's! This is one of the reasons I like the SRH840's and AD900X's.

Build/Durability

It can't be 100% plastic, and prone to breaking. My WS55's are very durable for me.

Price

$80 to $200, as stated above. I'm not looking into an external amplifier.

Conclusion: I would like comfortable headphones, which respond well to Indie and Dubstep alike. They must be over-ear. Other than this I'm not too picky about the specs.

I tried my best to choose between the headphones listed above, but couldn't decide if I'd want to sacrifice sound for comfort or vice versa.

Thanks! I appreciate all the recommendations and other suggestions!

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 33
Some of the best hp's I've ever used for dub would be the he-4 and he-400. While they are reasonably comfortable they do have some weight to them, but nothing that would be a dealbreaker. Unfortunately, that are outside your budget. 

The Maddog 3.2 can be had for around $240 ish and sound great for dub. (I know, still too much)

Let me ponder on this some and I'll post back...

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 33
There are several used pair available for less than that here. The MD is a great hp, very comfy and nice mids. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 33
Hi, everyone. I came here looking for a new pair of headphones, mostly for casual home listening. I currently own ATH-WS55's, which respond well to the music I listen to (Indie Pop/Dubstep/Indie Rock, my favorite artists being Muse, Arkasia, Vexare, and Alt-J). The only concern I have about them is that they have a tight clamping force on my head, and the cups are too small for my ears. I can't listen for 20 minutes without a headache that lasts for hours. I was looking into the SRH840's, UE6000's, ATH-M50's, or AD900X's, and hoping I could get a recommendation of these that suit my interests. I'm willing to spend anything that costs $80-$200. Here are the requirements for the headphones:

Audio

Frequency Response:

-Bass has to be present, but cannot drown out the other frequencies like Beats. I'm afraid the AD900X's don't have enough bass or clarity in bass.

-Treble has to be clear, but not harsh (my ears are sensitive to sibilant cymbal crashes). I don't care about treble as much.

Soundstage: There has to be some soundstage, but it's not one of my major concerns.

Isolation/Sound Leakage: There must be enough isolation so riding in a car doesn't drown out the bass, anything more is fine. It must have little sound leakage (another reason I'm concerned about the AD900X's).

Sensitivity: They must be able to be driven by a laptop or iPhone, because I'm uninterested in an external amplifier.

Comfort

Anything more comfortable than my WS55's! This is one of the reasons I like the SRH840's and AD900X's.

Build/Durability

It can't be 100% plastic, and prone to breaking. My WS55's are very durable for me.

Price

Conclusion: I would like comfortable headphones, which respond well to Indie and Dubstep alike. They must be over-ear. Other than this I'm not too picky about the specs.

I tried my best to choose between the headphones listed above, but couldn't decide if I'd want to sacrifice sound for comfort or vice versa.

DT770/80, Vmoda M100 or HE400

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 33

Audio

Frequency Response:

Comfort

Build/Durability

Price

DT770/80, Vmoda M100 or HE400

DT770 - also GREAT suggestion, IMO.
I was gonna suggest the M100 too.

He could get the VMODA LP for 150 now I think
(but I only have M-100s and M-80s so I don't know the LP)

Some of the best hp's I've ever used for dub would be the he-4 and he-400. While they are reasonably comfortable they do have some weight to them, but nothing that would be a dealbreaker. Unfortunately, that are outside your budget. 

The Maddog 3.2 can be had for around $240 ish and sound great for dub. (I know, still too much)

Let me ponder on this some and I'll post back...

If that's the case w/ the Mad Dog 3.2 I second that BIGtime!
GREAT advice

I own the latest Mad Dog and Alpha Dog - KILLER cans, and
probably more dynamic and lush (not murkiness) than other
headphones you mentioned in your initial post

- though we all hear differently...

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 33
My dad surprised me with the SRH840's on Christmas without my full consent, without my knowing. So far, after a little burning-in, I personally think they are comfortable and sound great, with very clear mids and highs, but a little lacking in the sub bass. To bring the bass to light with more emphasis, I was looking into external amps and DAC's under $150. Any suggestions? Do I need an external amp? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back