Comments requested on setup of Fisher X202B > Woo WEE > Lambda Pro
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rizlaw

100+ Head-Fier
I am debating upgrades to my STAX SRM-1/Mk-2 Pro amp /STAX Lambda Pro HP setup. The 2 basic scenarios I am considering are:

1. Fisher X-202B integrated amp > Wee Woo enegizer > Lambda Pros

I have had my Fisher refurbished (I'm the original owner) and retubed (original power tubes were shot, so I had to install a quad of JJs 7591s as they are the only 7591s currenty available. I replaced the original Fisher 12AX7 tubes (which still tested good) with matched pairs of Gold Aero Platinum 12AX7s from W. Germany I had on hand). The sound is quite good through through the headphone output to my Audeze LCD-2.1 cans.

Even though I own and like my fully optioned Woo WA-2, I'm not so sure about Woo Audio's WEE, from the little I have found on the forums about the WEE, it seems to have some issues, too. So, I'm not sure if I will get any worthwhile sound improvements for the expenditure of $500.00 over my SRM-1 Mk.2 setup.

2. Stax 727 Mk.II > Lambda Pros with a possible future upgrade to 007 or 009 phones.

Your comments and recommendations are appreciated.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 4
I once had an srm1 mk2, and used it with a pair of lambda pros and lambda sigs. I later purchased an srd7 pro to try out with my fisher x100-c tube integrated. If you already have the srm-1 mk2 and happy with it, i would just leave well enough alone; it's a good amp. But I did prefer the srd7 pro/fisher combo with both the lambda pros and sigs. The fisher gave it more grunt in the low end with sweeter sounding highs. The midrange also had more body and sounded more organic. But the srm1 still won when it came to micro details produced a more livelier presentation.

I later sold the srm1 mk2 and used the srd7/fisher combo until I came across a T1S which gave me everything the srm1 mk2 did plus some of what the fisher did as well. But I would have still been very happy with the srm1 though. If you want to go the adapter route, I would skip the woo and keep my eye out for a modded srd7 pro, or just pick up a srd7 pro and get someone to mod it for you. Or just use a stock srd7 pro. Either route would be much cheaper than the woo.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Moodryn,

Thanks for your observations. To my ears, apart from a slightly fatiguing high end and bottom end with good definition, but less punch than I'd like, I'm fairly satisfied with what I hear out of my SRM1/Mk2. For a 30 year old amp it still sounds very good. As for the Woo WEE, I will not go that route. I will, however, give option 2 more thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back