COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #76 of 97
At the moment - no.  Every time I sample something with a thought to making a change - when I get down to the critical listening stage - I realise how good the T1 is comparatively, and at the moment nothing else comes close in the cost to performance ratio.  I really liked the HD800 - but at USD 300-400 difference (plus probably needing an upgrade to source), simply wasn't worth it.  Plus the T1 was more engaging on my gear.

Really liked the K812, but the cost is just way over the top when looking at overall performance.  I'll wait until the K812 comes down to a realistic price point.  Then I "may" change my mind.  In the meantime, still loving the T1 goodness.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #77 of 97
At the moment - no.  Every time I sample something with a thought to making a change - when I get down to the critical listening stage - I realise how good the T1 is comparatively, and at the moment nothing else comes close in the cost to performance ratio.  I really liked the HD800 - but at USD 300-400 difference (plus probably needing an upgrade to source), simply wasn't worth it.  Plus the T1 was more engaging on my gear.

Really liked the K812, but the cost is just way over the top when looking at overall performance.  I'll wait until the K812 comes down to a realistic price point.  Then I "may" change my mind.  In the meantime, still loving the T1 goodness.

You never know what Santa may bring for you maybe? :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #78 of 97

what is a realistic price to you since u hv heard it. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #79 of 97
You never know what Santa may bring for you maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice thought - but Santa "allowed" me to be in on the Kickstarter Adel campaign - so although I won't be getting my gift until May, I consider I've already been pretty well spoilt.

what is a realistic price to you since u hv heard it. 

Tough question.  Let's talk second hand - since the T1 can be all over the place at RRP.  If you consider a T1 can be around the USD 700-750 mark, and most HD800s seem to be in the 1000-1100 mark, then for me personally I'd put the K812 around 800-900 tops.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #80 of 97
The HD800 have been sold for less than a grand brand new recently (I got one for myself). The T1, from time to time, is offered at buysonic for 799. I've not seen a good deal for the K812 yet.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #81 of 97
I feel like I'm in the exact same boat as the OP here.  As an owner of a pair of T1 for 3 years (and picked them over the HD800) I just scored myself a brand new pair of K812 a couple of days ago for USD1000 - at that price I really didn't have much hesitation in picking it up, especially considering that HD800 can't be had here in Hong Kong for less than 1450.  I'm sure the price will drop further in the future, but I pay a bit more for the enjoy I can have now.

Right now I'm at the "completely smitten by the K812 and thinking about selling my T1" stage, but I'll be sure to go back in a week's time and reassess my collection.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #82 of 97
  I feel like I'm in the exact same boat as the OP here.  As an owner of a pair of T1 for 3 years (and picked them over the HD800) I just scored myself a brand new pair of K812 a couple of days ago for USD1000 - at that price I really didn't have much hesitation in picking it up, especially considering that HD800 can't be had here in Hong Kong for less than 1450.  I'm sure the price will drop further in the future, but I pay a bit more for the enjoy I can have now.

Right now I'm at the "completely smitten by the K812 and thinking about selling my T1" stage, but I'll be sure to go back in a week's time and reassess my collection.

You'll run back to T1 after you get tired of K812's wonky treble.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #83 of 97
After 10000 hours..the 812 will be smooth as silk.:p
Male vocals...jazz...soundtracks...ambient music,
Just fabulous.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #84 of 97
After 10000 hours..the 812 will be smooth as silk.
tongue.gif

Male vocals...jazz...soundtracks...ambient music,
Just fabulous.

Good tip. So after 416 days of continued usage, the 812 should show its real character... 
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #85 of 97

Addictive aren't they :)

Give it a couple of weeks - then level match and compare. The two are probably too similar to keep both. Then it becomes a choice between the clean and vivid signature of the T1 vs the holographic and balanced (but slightly less refined) signature of the AKG.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #86 of 97
There seem to be a lot of talk about how terrible or mediocre the K812 cables are... When you think about it the K812 is a low clamping force single entry headphone. A heavy ("quality") cable would constantly pull one side of the headphone down if not pulling it off aliment with the head. Also would make for a very uncomfortable experience. Also these are somewhat more sensitive headphones, do not need some crazy thick conductor, and honestly no headphone really do. I can however understand someone's criticisms on the actual rubber material used.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #87 of 97

Well currently on Amazon USA:
HD800~1,499$
K812~1,199$
T1~920$

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #88 of 97
I think it's more to do with the quality of the cable compared to the cost of the headphone. A lightweight sheathed cable using quality materials wouldn't cause issues with wearability - but would go a long way to making the overall package more aesthetically pleasing.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #89 of 97
There seem to be a lot of talk about how terrible or mediocre the K812 cables are... When you think about it the K812 is a low clamping force single entry headphone. A heavy ("quality") cable would constantly pull one side of the headphone down if not pulling it off aliment with the head. Also would make for a very uncomfortable experience. Also these are somewhat more sensitive headphones, do not need some crazy thick conductor, and honestly no headphone really do. I can however understand someone's criticisms on the actual rubber material used.
yup. My thoughts exactly.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #90 of 97
Well currently on Amazon USA:
HD800~1,499$
K812~1,199$
T1~920$

Thanks - but at this stage still too expensive for me. It'll get down to sub 1K eventually, and then second hand around $700-800 hopefully. At that stage (for me) it'll be worth looking at. In the meantime I have my T1 which I'm appreciating even more as time goes by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back