Comparison Review: Arya vs. LCD-3
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #16 of 30
I had both (I sold the Ether 2), and I actually ended up preferring the stock pads. The new pads made everything too warm and laid-back. The Ether 2 does have a sound-signature that's hard to replicate though. It's dark, yet all encompassing. I've never heard and don't think I will hear more accurate bass. In the end that sudden peak in the treble and having to always adjust it made me decide to sell it.
Ah gotcha. What are you left with then?

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 30
Great comparison! I was hoping you'd also compare the Arya with the HEX v2 you had before?

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #21 of 30
Great comparison! I was hoping you'd also compare the Arya with the HEX v2 you had before?
They are pretty similar in most ways - the biggest differences are resolution (Arya clearly better), treble (HEX more relaxed/rolled off), and the depth of the soundstage (Arya more 3D/HEX just as big but flatter).

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 30
They are pretty similar in most ways - the biggest differences are resolution (Arya clearly better), treble (HEX more relaxed/rolled off), and the depth of the soundstage (Arya more 3D/HEX just as big but flatter).

Thank you!

Would you say the Arya could be problematic for someone who's very sensitive in the 4-5k sibilance range?

And is the HEX relative lack of resolution / treble problematic in general purpose composition / mixing?

In other words, which would be the better all rounded, treble smooth headphone?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #23 of 30
Thank you!

Would you say the Arya could be problematic for someone who's very sensitive in the 4-5k sibilance range?

And is the HEX relative lack of resolution / treble problematic in general purpose composition / mixing?

Arya could be problematic if you're very sensitive - I am sensitive and find it just at my limit, and on some songs a little over. Of course, I don't know if you're more sensitive than me, or not. But you can always EQ it, which I sometimes do. HEX resolution isn't a problem unless you get used to super high res cans. If you're not, you won't notice. Neither one is ideal for mixing, as both are made for enjoyment not objectivity.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #24 of 30
Arya could be problematic if you're very sensitive - I am sensitive and find it just at my limit, and on some songs a little over. Of course, I don't know if you're more sensitive than me, or not. But you can always EQ it, which I sometimes do. HEX resolution isn't a problem unless you get used to super high res cans. If you're not, you won't notice. Neither one is ideal for mixing, as both are made for enjoyment not objectivity.
Thanks again. That answer is very helpful.

You did end up selling the HEX and buying the Arya so I assume you prefer it?

I am really overly sensitive in the 4-5K range which happens to be the part where Hifiman mostly tends to peak. I don't have the same issue with the Focals which also some describe as bright but the Staxes again give me trouble for example.

The lower end HFM, such as the HE4XX and 400S and the 400i mostly sound okay, but the HE6 and HEK v1 was problematic (even though it was very good elsewhere)

I've gone up the echelons of headphones and down again, and going up again now, just a lot more carefully :)

Coming off the 4XX and with more discerning ears than the first time, I suspect the fall in resolution doesn't trouble me much. A capable headphone doesn't need to be overly technically proficient but does need to have a well balanced tonality for me to like it, such as the Clear, if it staged wider, or the Utopia, if it were cheaper :) Both of these I found both technically and tonally rather excellent, for reference.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #25 of 30

I am really overly sensitive in the 4-5K range which happens to be the part where Hifiman mostly tends to peak. I don't have the same issue with the Focals which also some describe as bright but the Staxes again give me trouble for example.

The lower end HFM, such as the HE4XX and 400S and the 400i mostly sound okay, but the HE6 and HEK v1 was problematic (even though it was very good elsewhere)

I've gone up the echelons of headphones and down again, and going up again now, just a lot more carefully :)

Coming off the 4XX and with more discerning ears than the first time, I suspect the fall in resolution doesn't trouble me much. A capable headphone doesn't need to be overly technically proficient but does need to have a well balanced tonality for me to like it, such as the Clear, if it staged wider, or the Utopia, if it were cheaper :) Both of these I found both technically and tonally rather excellent, for reference.
Sounds to me like you should stick with the Clears, since you don't find the treble to hot. Hifiman stage is big because it's tall not wide. Not as wide as HD800, if that's what you're after.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #26 of 30
Sounds to me like you should stick with the Clears, since you don't find the treble to hot. Hifiman stage is big because it's tall not wide. Not as wide as HD800, if that's what you're after.
The Clear unfortunately doesn't stage sufficiently to me so that won't do and given the Utopia is currently out of budget, it essentially leaves the HEX and Arya.

I am leaning more towards the former but since most claim that Arya is generally smooth too, I am still hesitant.

Will need to think over again these two. But thanks for your help.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 30
Thank you!

Not after they burn in,,, they need min. 250 hours...

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 30

I’d probably stay away from the Arya as it is quite a bright headphone...certainly the brightest of the 4XX/Sundara/Ananda/400i/400s.
In any case make sure you can return it if you decide to take the plunge:)

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #29 of 30
I chose not to, but appreciate the warning. I currently have the Verum One and an incoming HD560S :)

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #30 of 30
Not enough fans of the LCD-3, so, i thought i'd apply.

Its a fine gear.
The thing about airy sounding headphones, such as the HEv1 v2, SE, Susvara, , is that unless you are familiar with how good a full sounding, rich sounding, lush sounding, sound can sound at its best, you'l think that "airy with detail and soundstage" is to be preferred.

In recent years, the "warm and detailed" sound has again come into vogue.
The Reality is, the Audeze LCD-3 is that sound at its best long ago, and its only been improved by FAZOR.

If you've been considering a LCD-3, but you dont want to pay $2000, then buy the LCD-2F.
Very similar sound, with the 3 being more Linear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back