Computer vs Phone digital out! Wow
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SupperTime

500+ Head-Fier
So I've been using my Note 10 as a usb out to discover music via streaming services.
So I use USB c to usb B to my rme adi-2 dac.
I used to think it sounded good.
Until I used the usb out on my cheap laptop to the rme adi-2 dac. Wow major jump in sound quality, overall its cleaner better, ect!
Why?
Additionally... What else can I do... The DSP the computer can offer are endless.. What is an easy program for a beginner like me to experiment with as far as dsp, simulations ect?
I'm blow away by the computers USB out... Even Spotify is way better quality!

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Probably just a DAC output level increase. The portable device is pretty limited on phones for examples while your PC has a dedicated power supply.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Probably just a DAC output level increase. The portable device is pretty limited on phones for examples while your PC has a dedicated power supply.
Thanks. So what is the best sound quality from a source I can achieve. Is there a better source than a pc to use? How do I maximize what my rme adi-2 dac can do

Mar 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks. So what is the best sound quality from a source I can achieve. Is there a better source than a pc to use? How do I maximize what my rme adi-2 dac can do
For streaming audio services, I doubt there is anything better to use, then a computer.
I'm guessing the laptop's USB port outputs a louder audio signal, then the Samsung Note 10's USB port.
So to save on the Note 10's battery life, I'm guessing the power used for note 10's USB port is limited to save on battery life.
But i'm just making my best guess.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I don’t think this got anything to do with power (RME is a self powered DAC) or USB as both Android and Win 10 do support UAC2 (USB Audio Class 2).
However, do check if the sources are level matched as volume control is simply part of the UAC standard.
Likewise, all kind of enhancements (DSP) can be involved.
The REM probably allows for checking bit depth and sample rate, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back