Continental Dual Mono Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 28, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 162
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 162
So far I have tried Sonotone 5719, Mullard 6112, RCA 5718, Sylvania 6AD4 "a" flashed getter, Sylvania 6021, Raytheon 6111, Stock Sylvania 6111.  I haven't spent enough time to have an informed opinion on most of them.  The Mullard is very good, but so far my personal preference is the Sonotone.  Of course they all sound very good and the differences aren't huge.  The Sonotone seems to have a very even response top to bottom and outstanding resolution of the fine details.  I would describe them as sounding smooth, but never with the feeling there was more detail to be had.  Altogether, for me, the Sonotone just sounds more right.  

The others I thought were notable are the 6AD4 and the Raytheon 6111.

All of this listening thru the CDM DAC fed by iPad with both CD quality and hi res files. Headphone was Fostex TH900. Lyra arrived today and I'll leave the Sonotones in for getting used to it. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 162
mmm......just started tube-rolling today: so far, it is an even contest between the Sonotone and the Mullards (bass seems to be a bit better with the Mullards than either stock or the Sonotone). I agree that  the differences are not night-and-day but more of differences in "flavor." The stock, mullards (prefer this with HE 1000) and the sonotones (prefer this with Layla) are  close in terms of SQ but if I had to choose as an all-rounder (at least with the HE 1000 via AK240 + CDM in fully balanced mode) and ranking: 1. Mullards 2. Sonotones 3. Stock, per my personal preferences. BUT: Assuming ceteres paribus, I will more likely use the single triode Sonotone for the promised longer battery life relative to the hotter dual ẁtriodes.............and call it a day.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 162
Have done a bit of rolling on the CDM with more to come. 

Really liked the stock 6011's. Good all around tube and is a great intro to the CDM. 

Tried the 5719's to see how they impacted heat, battery and SQ. Have to say that while the heat and battery are helped to some degree, the drop in SQ IMO isn't worth it. They just don't bring the same sense of life and emotion as the 6011's. Maybe the Sonotone 5719's are different in this respect, but the standard 5719's I got from Ken are not my favorite. 

Also just got a pair of the Mullard 6112's and will be rolling them in tonight. Eager to hear that old Mullard goodness! 

Cheers 

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 162
Looking forward to impressions. I've been eyeing the Mullards.

So first reaction to the Mullards is "hell yeah, that's the stuff..." 
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 162
Aug 26, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #27 of 162
  Okay, okay. Keep your pants on. 

Give me a day or so to do some more critical listening. 

Cheers 

*zip* Fine.

There's no rush. I was planning to make my decision sometime around RMAF, in case Ken had a CDM fitted with Mullards on-hand at the show. Slim chance, but it could happen.

Enjoy the listening

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #28 of 162

*zip* Fine.

There's no rush. I was planning to make my decision sometime around RMAF, in case Ken had a CDM fitted with Mullards on-hand at the show. Slim chance, but it could happen.

Enjoy the listening

You know what would be really cool? A unit for shows that connects to the CDM that has 3-4 different sets of tubes in it and allows you to switch across them on the fly to see what the differences are without having . Kind of like what UE did with their IEM "machine" at recent shows. I'm sure that Ken and/or Vinnie could cook something up like that. 

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back