Continue with my dacmagic plus? New dedicated headphone amp? New dac amp? (Newbie)
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

McCapi

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

First of all, this is my first post on the forum right after the welcome message. Again, a pleasure to be here and my question is the following:

Years ago I purchased a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus which I think does very well for the price it cost and the years it has.

Now I want to make the leap to higher quality headphones and I don't know if I need to change my dac for a more up-to-date (and maybe better) one or if I just need a dedicated amplifier for them.

The main characteristics of the dac are as follows:
DAC: Dual Wolfson WM8740 24bit DACs
Digital Filter: Analog Devices ADSP21261 DSP Up-sampling to 24-bit/384kHz
Analogue Filter: 2-Pole Dual Differential Differential Bessel Double Virtual Earth Balanced

The only information I have been able to find about the headphone amplifier it carries is a review from years ago on a website that reads as follows:

"Its headphone amplifier performance is typical, limited by its 50 Ω output source impedance, but at least it's 12 dB louder (4 V RMS max.)"

I'm a newbie and I don't understand too much yet about technical data, could I move, to give an example, 150 ohms headphones?

In short: What do you think? A new Dac amp? Add a dedicated amp? If in addition to your opinion you can give me some suggestions with a maximum budget of 500 bucks I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much and sorry for being so long!

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 7
i would keep the DACMagic as a source and get an amp, maybe on the secondhand market, then you get more for your money

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 7
Definitely this is what I'm going to do. Any suggestions for the amp? I'm taking a look to the magni+. The reviews and the price look amazing!
Than you piakoB and WILLJS. Any suggestions are appreciated 👍

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 7
the Magni+ would be a good option.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 7
JDS Labs Atom are often mentioned alongside the Schiit Magni+ and you should consider that. Prices in Spain may or may not be comparable.

You could also check out the VE Megatron DAC/Amp. No separate volume control -- you control volume from your music player -- but very portable (USB powered), considerable amp power and a very low price: $50 in the USA.

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you guys! I had the oportunity to get the a pair of focal clear and without extra power they sound amazing. Probably with an extra amp the will go to another level but wow, I'm impressed with the sound even without the extra amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back