Cool Looking Schiit
Jun 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 494

Roscoeiii

1000+ Head-Fier
Press releases went out for a new contennder in the headphone amplifier world: Schiit Audio. (http://schiit.com/)

They are starting off with a high current $250 Class A SS amp (the Asgard) which is fully discrete, and a $350 SET tube amp (Valhalla). 

I've ordered an Asgard to pair with my HE-5LE headphones, and in their FAQ section Schiit says that the Asgard loves Sennheisers, and that it can drive cans with an impedance as low as 8 ohms. The Valhalla they say (again, in the FAQ section) is a great match with AKG headphones. 

15 day trial period (no restocking fee), 5 year transferable warranty. 

I'll report back on my findings. 

Lastly, here's their press release:

Schiit Introduces Asgard and Valhalla Headphone Amplifiers

Newhall, CA USA. Schiit Audio introduced its first products today, the Asgard and Valhalla headphone amplifiers. Designed for use with audiophile headphones, Asgard and Valhalla set new standards for performance and aesthetics at their price points.

Asgard is a fully discrete, Class A, single-ended FET headphone amplifier with no overall feedback and a noninverting circuit topology. Its high-current design makes it uniquely suitable for low-impedance headphones. It is priced at $249, direct from the manufacturer.

Valhalla is a fully discrete, Class A, single-ended triode headphone amplifier with no overall feedback and noninverting circuit topology. It provides classic tube sound and can drive headphones with impedances as low as 32 ohms. It is priced at $349 direct from the manufacturer.

“We think we’ve reset the price-performance bar with these products,” said Jason Stoddard of Schiit. “We are designing and manufacturing in the USA, providing innovative circuit topologies which deliver amazing performance, and selling at super-competitive prices.”

Both Asgard and Valhalla are covered by a limited 5 year warranty, with the exception of the Valhalla tubes, which are covered by a 90-day warranty. Replacement tubes are available from the manufacturer for $20 for a pair of matched input tubes and $30 for a pair of matched output tubes.

Asgard and Valhalla are made in the USA, primarily of USA-sourced components. Innovative engineering has allowed Schiit Audio to keep the overall prices of their products similar to those from Chinese companies manufacturing in China.

About Schiit Audio

Schiit Audio is a US-based manufacturer of headphone amplifiers. Founded by Jason Stoddard, formerly of Sumo, and Mike Moffat, formerly of Theta, Schiit is dedicated to providing great-sounding, high-quality products made in the USA for highly competitive prices.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 494
That's quite ambitious, 5 years warranty (which costs money too) and made in the USA discrete for $250, but if Audio GD could do the Sparrow for $200... maybe amp markups are finally coming down. One concern for me will be the type of volume control. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 494
that's some sexy schiit right there! 
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 494
Quote:
From FAQ section, looks like volume control is Alps Blue Velvet pots. 

Lots of info is on the FAQ pages rather than the product pages. 

Thanks. I looked through the manual and it wasn't there either. I found this juicy little gem (is it a swipe at someone? hahaha I don't care)

Quote:
We’re not in the business of building discrete op-amps

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 494
That's because they're new and enthusiastic, ready to take on the world, it sounds like. Hope they last! 

I mean, some of the sarcasm grated, it's a very declaratory and "we don't take crap from anyone" tone they have on their website. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 494
Hey all, the SchiitHead's here!

I'm the co-founder of this venture, and I'll try to answer whatever questions you might have. To address some of them:

1. Yep, it's an Alps RK27 series Blue Velvet pot--we're big believers in the best attenuation we can afford. Yep, there are better pots out there, but they're well outside our build budget. And yeah, stepped attenuators (once did a preamp with R-2R relay-switched stepped attenuation, but that's another story.)

2. And yeah, we're in this for the long haul. I've only started two companies in my career, and the first one has been around for 16 years--it's still around, too. 

3. As far as slamming anyone, nope. I have huge respect for anyone who wants to make a go with their own company, and is dedicated to serving their customers. We don't build discrete op-amps, or fully complementary, multi-gain-stage designs, or BJT amps. That's our choice, not a challenge, not a slam, just a fact. If you listen to a complex, high-gain, full loop feedback design and like it better than ours, cool! That's what's for you, and you should buy it. 

Most of all, we're here to make some cool Schiit and have a little fun. If that floats your boat, great! We're happy to be along for the ride.

Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 494
Quote:
3. As far as slamming anyone, nope. I have huge respect for anyone who wants to make a go with their own company, and is dedicated to serving their customers. We don't build discrete op-amps, or fully complementary, multi-gain-stage designs, or BJT amps. That's our choice, not a challenge, not a slam, just a fact. If you listen to a complex, high-gain, full loop feedback design and like it better than ours, cool! That's what's for you, and you should buy it. 

No, I wasn't offended at all, I still found it quite amusing even if I do like certain discrete opamp amplifiers.  hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back