Corda Prehead and HA-2
Apr 8, 2004 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
For quite some time I had thought about upgrading the HA-2 to the Prehead. well, i did it.

The most noticeable difference between the Prehead and HA-2 for headphone listening is the Preheads extra high crossfeed setting and an additional gain switch. The high crossfeed setting was not my favorite setting for any recording I have yet heard, but none the less, good to have. At the high setting, the sound stage totally collapses, details remain extremely high, if not gaining macro detail but the sound had also gone from a balanced neutral to an unnatural warm sound. The gain switch, which I doubt I'll ever need is used to increase the headphone out sensitivity. For normal listening, the volume control is around 9 o clock, which is plenty loud already.

On to the sound!
After listening to various styles, both amp exhibits excellent control, especially for classical. They were virtually indistinguishable on many recordings. Still, the Prehead was able to do certain things better. The bass were tighter and gained more punch, it was also able to produce a clearer sound without its own characteristics. On violin works, both amp were able to deliver the highs smoothly and flawlessly, virtually indistinguishable. Other than an overall improvement, and a punchier bass. The Prehead and HA-2 are very similar sounding beasts.

Finally, the Prehead is noticeably larger compare with the HA-2. The construction, face plate, switches, laser engraving and pot are all of the same high quality. The led on the Prehead was much brighter than the HA-2.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Great review, wish if you can comment a bit more details on relative volume (gain) and noise floor. Now I'm getting tempted to upgrade my HA-1 to HA-2 or Prehead
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 9
I am very satsified with my Prehead. Others have also said that the difference in sound between the HA-2 and Prehead is small. Hope you are not disappointed with our upgrade. The major benefits with Prehead are that you can use it as an preamp, connect three sources to it and have more gain for headphones that are hard to drive. I haven't needed the high gain position yet, but who knows when...
The high crossfeed position can be useful on recordings with extreme separation, usually recordings from the 1960s made when the stereo system was new, as saxophone in left channel and piano in right.
Prehead can improve further with a good powercord.

Upgrading from HA-1 should give a big improvement (if your other equipment is good). The noise floor of Prehead is very low, I have hardly noticed any noise even with easy to drive phones like Grado.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Prehead can improve further with a good powercord.

I think because of our quality power, good powercords dont make a difference in Oz.

Edit: I think we will need to have a Prehead vs ME24 match off sometime :> My money is on the ME24 but who knows.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the tips Anders.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by go_vtec
Great review, wish if you can comment a bit more details on relative volume (gain) and noise floor. Now I'm getting tempted to upgrade my HA-1 to HA-2 or Prehead
biggrin.gif

The HA-2 and prehead have similar noise floor in this regard.
The noise floor and hissing is non-existing on quiet passages with good records(unless it's on the record!). The Prehead is particularly revealing on what goes in, comes out. The difference between a Cardas Neutral and a Osborn silverlink cable is very noticeable with a amp such as the HA-2/Prehead.

If you are referring to the HA-1 not HA-1 mk2(i have not heard), the HA-2/Prehead are huge improvements on a totally different level. While the HA-1 sounds good, the HA-2/Prehead does everything better, it sounds "audiophile", if you know what i mean. It's refined, controlled and disappears from the music. You begin to hear the music, or the source in my case(gah!).

The prehead obviously has higher gain with the "gain switch" but on the normal setting both have heaps of power in reserve. I have never even turned the volume pass half-way in fear of busting a driver. It has heaps of volume. heaps.

Anders,
that's the reason why I purchased the prehead, to use as a preamp. Had I not need the preamp function I would be very happy with the HA-2. As for power cords, it'd be interesting to hear. Until I upgrade my source I doubt it'd be beneficial. I am not totally happy with my source yet, unlike the amp
tongue.gif

Ctn,
we should definitely do that!! You can write the review, cos i suck at it. LOL

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster

Ctn,
we should definitely do that!! You can write the review, cos i suck at it. LOL

Yay
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 9
So what the Prehead has that the HA-2 has not (soundwise) is slightly punchier bass and maybe very slightly better resolution?

Sounds to me like the HA-2 is the amp to get (anything else on the market not considered) unless you need the preamp fuctions or the very high crossfeed setting??

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 9
toaster, I agree that the best is to start with a good source and then try some cables. And experimenting with expensive cables before you have good components can be a disappointment. You may not get much improvement and use the money inefficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back