Could really use some help narrowing down the choices for my headphone needs
Jun 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

digdashdug

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've utilized avsforums over the years for both consumer level and pro audio equipment purchases.  Once I started looking into headphones on there, I was pointed in the direction of this site.  If anyone can help me with the search for the best cans to fit my needs, it would be much appreciated.  Here's what I'm up against:

I'm a long time electronica dj/producer/remixer, w/ an audio engineering degree.  For many years I've lived in a single family home, and had my DAW studio in the basement.  It features Alesis Monitor-1's and a sub (not the best in the world, i know... but I'm real familiar with the tendencies of my setup and have been able to get some solid mixdowns out of it).  I'm preparing to move into an apartment complex and am desperate for a pair of headphones that will allow me to get my tracks mixed down and ready to be mastered by someone else.  I understand that I may be asking for alot, is this even a realistic expectation?

I am really into the baseline-heavy side of electronica music (drum n bass, dubstep, breakbeats).  I know this may make my jump to headphones an even larger challenge.  I will still have my near field monitors setup, but am unsure at how high of a volume I'll be able to turn them up to in the daytime (obviously not at all in the evenings/nights).  Maybe I'll only be able to get my mixes real close, and then I'll have to take them to another studio to get those sub levels dialed in properly... I don't know.  Just to clarify, these will only be used at home for studio monitoring, not for djing.

Anyways, I am prepared to spend somewhere up to $800 on this setup (obviously, I'd feel better staying below $500 all in).  I understand after a little reading that many of the top headphones will require an amp for the desired results.  I have no real idea where to start on my search, so I'm hoping that some of you from this forum can help me narrow down the list of choices that would work best for me.  At that point I'll spend lot of time reading reviews (and hopefully find some of the models to try on), Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on my specific situation.

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 4
One more thing I forgot to mention...

I'm running Pro Tools on a DIGI 002 RACK.  Headphone amp/output specs are listed as follows:

"Headphone Outputs: +15 dBu, 150 ohm load"

thx.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Easy

Sony MDR-V6's or MDR-7506

if you have a good amp or receiver they are feeding from. You can trance out all you want.

Why?
Comfy for long periods
Needs to be driven, no problem for you
Inexpensive but will deliver
Good sound quality overall and with great bass. Might be muddy if you don't work with the EQ a lot
Screw on 1/4inch jack. No losing the adapter

Video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX58VzFkbYQ&feature=related

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 4
First off, thx for the reply and link.  I have used the 7506's once or twice while djing (a friend has a pair).

Do you really think those would be a better choice for dance music studio "production" than the  Sennheiser HD 650's?  I have read alot of great reviews claiming that those do a much better job with the low end accuracy and definition, than the previous (lower numbered) Sennheiser models. 

I am really after a flat response across the entire frequency spectrum, with extreme clarity on the lowest frequencies possible through headphones.  I'm willing to pay more than the cost of the 7506's, if that will get me closer to my goal.  I have owned Sony MDR V900's for several years, but now that I'll be relying much more heavily on my headphone monitioring... I just thought it was time to step it up.  I have never owned a pair of headphones that wasn't Sony, so I guess that's why I'm looking for some help on this one.  thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back