Could use help - selling my LCD2s to get??
Nov 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SBranson

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought the LCD-2 rev.1 in the exchange and I guess they're not for me.

Maybe my high frequency hearing is damaged from work and being in my 40's but the LCD2s are just a little to warm for me.
I find the soundstage a little to intimate, too much of what I'm hearing feels right between my ears and when the music gets busy, I find that separation fails and things get a little blurred by all those low frequencies.  I just have too few "wow" moments for me for the price.  I'd love to try the Rev.2 but that's just too much right now.

Now,,,  when I put on something with few instruments like Max Richter or Eva Cassidy then these are very nice!
I have never heard instruments so lifelike from headphones.

I had headphones quite a while ago when I worked my way through the Grado lineup ending with the RS-1s.  Those blew me away.  It was my first taste of "HiFi".  Listening to the second track of P.Glass's Koyaanisqatsi when the flute comes in I could see the player's position clearly.  Less so with the LCD2s but the tone of the flute is good.
Recently I got back into this through the Denon D2000's.  I really enjoyed those but now having heard the LCDs, they sound a bit like I have cotton in my ears.  (only in comparison)

Then I got out of headphones for a standard system which ended up being phenomenal.  On Eva Cassidy, I could hear where people in the audience we sitting and could hear that, from the mic being on stage, it felt like I was watching the show from the stage rather than the tables..  weird..  I only mention this to show where I'm coming from.
This was my system:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1136790341

So.. I don't need the hyper detail or gigantic soundstage because coming from a full system, I'll never get the same effect but I am looking for something a little zippier, and a little more spacious.

I am thinking HE-500's?  Any other ideas?    I don't want to go back to Grados and can't afford to go up to something like the HD800's.   I need to do a lateral trade $$ wise or even drop down a notch and look at getting a Cypher Labs DAC.

I am currently using an O2 amp and the latest Ipod classic through a furutech LOD.

There are a set of HE-400's available in Canada so that's appealing... 

HD-700 reviews don't really look great for me but there are so many reviews about so many phones..... arrgh.

Music is pretty varied but mostly Classical.  I like to throw on some female vocals, NIN, some electronica from time to time...
but, like I said, mostly non-orchestral Classical..  Solo piano, trios, string quartets, Max Richter,  etc.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.  

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
I just bought the LCD-2 rev.1 in the exchange and I guess they're not for me.

Maybe my high frequency hearing is damaged from work and being in my 40's but the LCD2s are just a little to warm for me.
I find the soundstage a little to intimate, too much of what I'm hearing feels right between my ears and when the music gets busy, I find that separation fails and things get a little blurred by all those low frequencies.  I just have too few "wow" moments for me for the price.  I'd love to try the Rev.2 but that's just too much right now.

Now,,,  when I put on something with few instruments like Max Richter or Eva Cassidy then these are very nice!
I have never heard instruments so lifelike from headphones.

I had headphones quite a while ago when I worked my way through the Grado lineup ending with the RS-1s.  Those blew me away.  It was my first taste of "HiFi".  Listening to the second track of P.Glass's Koyaanisqatsi when the flute comes in I could see the player's position clearly.  Less so with the LCD2s but the tone of the flute is good.
Recently I got back into this through the Denon D2000's.  I really enjoyed those but now having heard the LCDs, they sound a bit like I have cotton in my ears.  (only in comparison)

Then I got out of headphones for a standard system which ended up being phenomenal.  On Eva Cassidy, I could hear where people in the audience we sitting and could hear that, from the mic being on stage, it felt like I was watching the show from the stage rather than the tables..  weird..  I only mention this to show where I'm coming from.
This was my system:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1136790341

So.. I don't need the hyper detail or gigantic soundstage because coming from a full system, I'll never get the same effect but I am looking for something a little zippier, and a little more spacious.

I am thinking HE-500's?  Any other ideas?    I don't want to go back to Grados and can't afford to go up to something like the HD800's.   I need to do a lateral trade $$ wise or even drop down a notch and look at getting a Cypher Labs DAC.

I am currently using an O2 amp and the latest Ipod classic through a furutech LOD.

There are a set of HE-400's available in Canada so that's appealing... 

HD-700 reviews don't really look great for me but there are so many reviews about so many phones..... arrgh.

Music is pretty varied but mostly Classical.  I like to throw on some female vocals, NIN, some electronica from time to time...
but, like I said, mostly non-orchestral Classical..  Solo piano, trios, string quartets, Max Richter,  etc.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.  

A zippier LCD-2? Sounds like the HE-6. The HE-500 has a little more treble as well, but it's quite neutral and not that large a difference. HE-400 is also a nice cheap alternative. I have the two right now, and they compliment each other nicely. If you want more soundstage, at this price, sounds like the HD800 as well. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks but both the HD800 and LE-6 are well above my price range.  As I had the LCD2 r.1, I am looking at the $750 or less arena.  

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks.  Hmm... I was very close to buying the ESP-950's before I made the deal for the LCD2s..  Maybe I should revisit that idea.
I've often been drawn to Stax having tried them in a shop in Vancouver.  I couldn't get over that sense of space they have.  It was like a dimensional shift to put those on and have a hall inside them.  Like a TARDIS.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Thanks.  Hmm... I was very close to buying the ESP-950's before I made the deal for the LCD2s..  Maybe I should revisit that idea.
I've often been drawn to Stax having tried them in a shop in Vancouver.  I couldn't get over that sense of space they have.  It was like a dimensional shift to put those on and have a hall inside them.  Like a TARDIS.

I don't remember there to be a Stax shop in Vancouver. Where was it? They probably won't be open tomorrow, but I'd like to go down there sometime. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Commercial Electronics.  Downstairs in the basement next to all the used gear was the Stax.  They had about 4 sets..  The Omega's blew me away.
Hmm.. They used to be on Burrard just across the bridge but that was about 6-7 years ago. It looks like they've moved to West 7th so maybe they don't have them anymore.  

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Commercial Electronics.  Downstairs in the basement next to all the used gear was the Stax.  They had about 4 sets..  The Omega's blew me away.
Hmm.. They used to be on Burrard just across the bridge but it looks like they've moved so maybe they don't have them anymore.  This was about 6-7 years ago.

Oh, Commercial, they got rid of a lot of their headphone gear after the move 2-3 years ago...a damn shame.

Sorry, OT, I know. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

Based on what you're describing, look into:

Denon D7000 (used $600ish)
Hifiman HE-5LE
Beyer DT880
Beyer T1 (used ~750~850)
Sennheiser HD600
Ultrasone PRO 2900

Very best,

Thanks!

I did own the HD600s back when I had the Grado RS1s.

I am very interested in the HE-5LE but wonder about the power needed.  Not sure if my little O2 will power them.

From my reading, I doubt the D7000 would suit my tastes though I did enjoy the D2000s.

I'll look up the others more closely.   I appreciate the recommendations.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 14
an HD800 sounds like the best bet

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks but the HD800 costs too much.  I like the look of the Beyer T1..  Gonna read some more reviews about that one.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 14
I would suggest the T1 between the HD700, 800, LCD2r2, and D7000.

The D7000 is the most similar to the LCD-2. It is bassy and separation isn't so great.

The t1 soundstage isn't as expansive as the hd800 but the separation and clarity are very close while being a tad bit warmer. It's more suitable for all generes I would say.

The HD700 is a much worse version of the HD800, taking all the negatives and not much of the positives in my opinion.

I haven't heard the hifiman headphones, but the HE-6 is supposed to have a similar SS to the t1 so i think the hifimans might also be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back