• Replace ER4XR and K371 with Moondrop Variations

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Replace ER4XR and K371 with Dunu SA6

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Lately for whatever reason I've become interested in IEMs. Probably because I'm happy with my full-sized setup and this is my favorite hobby so I need to keep myself entertained lol! Hopefully, I don't just have upgrade-itis here...

Anyway, for headphones I own Focal Clear (primary open back), EMU Ebony (primary closed back), AKG K371 (office headphone), ER4XR (primary IEM), Apple AirPods Pro (exercise/convenience IEM). I feel that the ER4XR, sound wise, while really good, would not be my first choice for musical enjoyment. Super accurate, and detailed, but a little too lean not very engaging. Neither would the K371. Excellent tuning, but not the best resolution. I end up using the K371 in the office over the ER4XR because I prefer their tuning. I really like the ER4XR and K371, but mainly because they fill important use cases for me. That's why I'm wondering if I should upgrade in the first place? When I bought them, these other IEM

I've been hearing so many good things about the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Dunu SA6 that it's hard to ignore the hype. What I wonder is if either of these would be so good, that I could ditch both the ER4XR and K371, because they sound better. I hear the Dusk sounds kinda like headphones in presentation, which would be great because I typically hardly use IEMs unless I need to because I much prefer headphone presentation. The SA6 draws me because of its accessories and build. I know there's also the Moondrop Variations but not many opinions on them yet. My sonic preference is good balance, with good detail and impact, good separation, with a slightly warm/musical tilt. I don't need exceptionally wide soundstage as long as the imaging is good (I don't even mind ER4 soundstage) and I don't like v-shape. I also prefer non-shouty mids, with upper mids slightly relaxed, and also not a fan of sibilance (it's ok if there's little bit though). Focal Clear sound in an IEM would be excellent!

I guess my main concerns, aside from spending more money (lol!) is what I'd be losing. For example, will the sound even be much of an upgrade, while also losing the Ety isolation and comfort? I'm a little worried about the fit and isolation of the Blessing 2. I like being able to use my Ety's while walking around because they are discreet and isolate so well, but I guess I could use the AirPods Pro for that purpose if necessary. These other IEMs are less discreet and won't isolate as well. Finally, new IEMs are being released in this space at a very fast rate. I'm fearful that the one I choose will be outdone by something new in a few months time.

Would be nice if anyone could read the whole post but here is the TL;DR: Should I keep doing what I've been doing with the ER4XR and K371, or try one of these newer IEMs in hopes that they'd be good enough to replace both the ER4XR and K371?

Lastly, it would be really helpful for anyone who has heard at least either of these along with the ER4XR and K371, comparisons are really helpful for me, just as long as they are unbiased. Thanks in advance for helping out!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 6
I have the Focal Clears, Blessing 2 (OG), Sony IER-M9, EX1000, UM 3DT
Blessing is good for the money, Dusk should be a little better (but not warm, rather neutral). Size and fit is not a big issue, it might just take time to find the right tips. My "convenience IEM" because they fit well and are fine.

The much better value IMO are the UM 3DT, which are very dynamic with high clarity and separation, bigger stage, better imaging. Getting a good fit was hard though (lots of tip rolling for me), I needed to apply some damping and change the cable. And they are leaning bright (but not harsh or sibilant) with lean lower midrange. So maybe not for you.

The IER-M9 is closest in quality to the Focal Clears.
I'd say the M9 has better detail and imaging, are extremely coherent, not was warm as the Clears, but getting closer.
Downsides are that the stage, while super accurate, is rather small. Feels like I have to shrink myself to dive into it.
Another weakness of the M9 is that it's not very dynamic. It extends very well and has good bass, but it does not have the drive and slam of a DD. Another strength that I easily forget about is the excellent timbre for a BA. Attack and decay are very natural for a BA, yet still faster than a DD which provides a lot of detail.

I was looking at the SA6 as well but received feedback from owners that they do exhibit BA timbre, which I am very sensitive to. Therefore I took them of my list.

So to sum up - I think the M9 (or the M7) would be worth a closer look if you can get them at a good price.
(Addicted to Audio in Australia sometimes sells them for AUD 1000 / 600 for the M9/M7)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Blessing is good for the money, Dusk should be a little better (but not warm, rather neutral). Size and fit is not a big issue, it might just take time to find the right tips. My "convenience IEM" because they fit well and are fine.

The much better value IMO are the UM 3DT, which are very dynamic with high clarity and separation, bigger stage, better imaging. Getting a good fit was hard though (lots of tip rolling for me), I needed to apply some damping and change the cable. And they are leaning bright (but not harsh or sibilant) with lean lower midrange. So maybe not for you.

I'd say the M9 has better detail and imaging, are extremely coherent, not was warm as the Clears, but getting closer.
Downsides are that the stage, while super accurate, is rather small. Feels like I have to shrink myself to dive into it.
Another weakness of the M9 is that it's not very dynamic. It extends very well and has good bass, but it does not have the drive and slam of a DD. Another strength that I easily forget about is the excellent timbre for a BA. Attack and decay are very natural for a BA, yet still faster than a DD which provides a lot of detail.

I was looking at the SA6 as well but received feedback from owners that they do exhibit BA timbre, which I am very sensitive to. Therefore I took them of my list.

So to sum up - I think the M9 (or the M7) would be worth a closer look if you can get them at a good price.
(Addicted to Audio in Australia sometimes sells them for AUD 1000 / 600 for the M9/M7)
Thanks for your comment! I'll take a look at the IER-M9 and M7, probably M7 as that's closer to my budget but I'll keep an eye out for the M9 if it goes down to a good price.

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 6

Dunu Studio Sa6, match very well with warm DACs like Chord Mojo1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back