Cowon J3 vs Cowon D3...very confused
Apr 5, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
my main priority is sound quality + battery life.

and i want a very smooth interface...not laggy.

which one is better?

what advantage does Android offer on D3?...i already have an android phone..so not tempted by Games n Apps.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 9
Well i think the obvious difference is that D3 has wifi while J3 doesn't. As far as interface goes, J3 (which I have) doesn't have a liquid smooth touch response as do apple products, but it's not laggy either. You could probably find some youtube videos that captures J3's touch response. And i don't think there's any other player that can last up to about 60 hours.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
my main priority is sound quality + battery life.

and i want a very smooth interface...not laggy.

which one is better?

what advantage does Android offer on D3?...i already have an android phone..so not tempted by Games n Apps.

I didn't find the J3 to be laggy at all. The sound quality on both are basically on par, with the J3 at this current point having better playback because it plays gapless. Plus the battery life is far superior on the J3, 60+hours vs. 21.

The advantage the d3 has is basically wifi and android, which could in the future lead to apps and all that. But if you already have an android phone, there is no point getting the D3.

Get the J3!

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Well i think the obvious difference is that D3 has wifi while J3 doesn't. As far as interface goes, J3 (which I have) doesn't have a liquid smooth touch response as do apple products, but it's not laggy either. You could probably find some youtube videos that captures J3's touch response. And i don't think there's any other player that can last up to about 60 hours.

wifi is a not a necessity..as i use 3G mainly on my blackberry.

so J3 has much superior battery life .....nice.

also..how about application development?....is it stagnant or do they release updates ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 9
As for firmwares, they've released multiple since the first introduction of J3. Some people download some flash games and etc, but J3 does not support the newest version of flash, so the application variety is limited by those usable with the previous version of flash.

I guess one's definition of "laggy" may differ person to person, but from having 2 itouches and the J3, the touch on the J3 is NOT as smooth or refined as the itouches, although, as I mentioned previously, is not much of a problem, since it doesn't really need the touch interface as good as apple products. Especially since there is no internet browsing, you only use the touch screen when you're changing music, changing the eq settings, watching videos, looking at pictures(probably the only time you use multitouch capability of J3). J3 has external buttons for pause, rewind, fast forward, volume control and lock/power button, so using the touch screen is not necessary for simple things. 

Sorry I got distracted comparing the J3 and itouch. But if you don't need the option of extending the memory with microsd card, you should also consider the S9. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Engadget did a fine and thorough job, but left out that most of their complaints go away with a little patience and research. Patience for firmware updates which have been coming along at about 2 per month.  There is also a STRONG indication that April or May will bring an update to android 2.3.  The UI also speeds up after a couple of minutes while it updates databases on boot-up. Then closing down any apps that decided to load themselves into memory (active or not) and the UI responds as well as any other android device I have tried. I don't think the endgadget reviewers listed to the D3 very long or they should have reported audio cutouts. Those have gone away though in the latest firmware, at least as far as I can tell.

4D

My D3 review.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Engadget did a fine and thorough job, but left out that most of their complaints go away with a little patience and research. Patience for firmware updates which have been coming along at about 2 per month.  There is also a STRONG indication that April or May will bring an update to android 2.3.  The UI also speeds up after a couple of minutes while it updates databases on boot-up. Then closing down any apps that decided to load themselves into memory (active or not) and the UI responds as well as any other android device I have tried. I don't think the endgadget reviewers listed to the D3 very long or they should have reported audio cutouts. Those have gone away though in the latest firmware, at least as far as I can tell.

4D

My D3 review.

You might be right. But looking at the cost, and the needs of OP, S9 or J3 would still be a better choice. Nocturnal310 already has access to internet with the blackberry. No need to deal with the slower UI when you don't need what's causing the slowness.(android)

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 9
also heard Android drains the battery life much more.

i dont need that issue..

i need a music player with maximum battery life.

anyway i ll go down to the store and audition both D3 and J3...and check sound quality and appeal factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back