Cowon Plenue 1 user presets
Sep 24, 2015 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kerouac

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently I send somebody a pm with Cowon P1 user presets that I use for my 1Plus2 / Z5 and Solar / V6 Stage.
This was what I (roughly) wrote at that time :

First of all I don't consider this to be purist settings (as purists probably wouldn't use EQ at all), but I just enjoy them myself while listening this way and I prefer them over the P1's own presets.
Because I boosted every frequency it sounds louder of course, but even while listening approximately on the same volume level, it also sounds more dynamic and richer to my ears then the standard presets...

I use this one for my Z5 and 1P2

4-4-3-2-3
When you press on the frequencies you can always choose from 3 different ones and I adjusted some of them
Below the frequencies I put them all on wide (not an idea behind it, just sounded better to my ears
biggrin.gif
)

4-5-6-6-5

MPE also ON!

No adjustments here...

This one is for my Solar (also used it with V6 Stage as it has an almost similar sound signature), but maybe you have an iem yourself that also matches with it in a good way.

5-5-4-3-2
Also adjusted frequencies and everything on ''wide''

2-3-4-5-5
For the Solar/V6S I use the same settings as seen in the last 2 pictures of the Z5/1P2 settings...

So, as I wrote at the start...these setting are far from ''pure'' (for a ''pure'' sound I can always connect the P1 optical with the ''normal'' setting on, to my Chord Hugo) and maybe some of you out there start laughing at me because of using these settings
biggrin.gif
but I consider them as great sounding and (also important) just plain fun myself.

Hopefully I can make somebody happy with these settings or put that person on track for an even better one.
If you have found a setting that works well with a(nother) specific iem/hp for you...please share over here
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks and cheers!

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Recently I send somebody a pm with Cowon P1 user presets that I use for my 1Plus2 / Z5 and Solar / V6 Stage.

This was what I (roughly) wrote at that time :

First of all I don't consider this to be purist settings (as purists probably wouldn't use EQ at all), but I just enjoy them myself while listening this way and I prefer them over the P1's own presets.

Because I boosted every frequency it sounds louder of course, but even while listening approximately on the same volume level, it sounds also more dynamic and richer to my ears then the standard presets...

I use this one for my Z5 and 1p2

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455452/

4-4-3-2-3
When you press on the frequencies you can always choose from 3 different ones and I adjusted some of them
Below the frequencies I put them all on wide (not an idea behind it, just sounded better to my ears
biggrin.gif

)

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455455/
4-5-6-6-5

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455461/
MPE also ON!

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455462/
No adjustments here...

This one is for my Solar (also used it with V6 Stage as it has an almost similar sound signature), but maybe you have an iem yourself that also matches with it in a good way.

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455463/

5-5-4-3-2
Also adjusted frequencies and everything on ''wide''

[COLOR=000080]
[/COLOR] http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1455464/

2-3-4-5-5
For the Solar/V6S I use the same settings as seen in the last 2 pictures of the Z5/1p2 settings...

So, as I wrote at the start...these setting are far from ''pure'' (for a ''pure'' sound I can always connect the P1 optical with the ''normal'' setting on to my Chord Hugo) and maybe some of you out there start laughing at me because of using these settings :D but I consider them as great sounding and (also important) just plain fun myself

Hopefully I can make somebody happy with these settings or put that person on track for an even better one.

If you have found a setting that works well with a(nother) specific iem/hp for you...please share over here :)

Thanks and cheers!
Cowons make a great EQ and it works great and it keeps the music clear and actually it improves the sound. But on AK Daps its EQ distorts the music and for that reason I wont EQ it on the AK.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 9
Cowons make a great EQ and it works great and it keeps the music clear and actually it improves the sound. But on AK Daps its EQ distorts the music and for that reason I wont EQ it on the AK.

Well, I know you have (and like) the Z5...so you could try my Z5 settings out for yourself (16 user presets available in the latest FW).
I'm curious if you like the sound that way
rolleyes.gif

When you have/prefer a different setting, please share
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 9
  What is the difference between MP 'on' and 'off'?

Also, have you tried setting all de freq to narrow instead of wide to test the differences?

It took me about 15 minutes max ''playing around'' initially to come to (each of) these settings.

With MP ON, to my ears it seems like there are more colours added (volume also raises a bit) to the ''soundpicture''
In the P1 manual it says: ''MP Enhance restores and enhances the harmonics lost through compression''
So, you would expect it only works with MP3s but I can also hear the differences with FLAC files

Yes, I tried narrow, normal and wide myself and I prefered wide...
Just press on them while listening and hear the differences yourself
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 9
anyone have anymore?

I find it strange that the Plenue P1 is the portable dac that time (and man) forgot!

also - anyone tried the new 200GB micro SD in their Plenue? it is too expensive still here in the UK to try and see it does't support it.... and cowon never reply

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 9
I'd be ever so grateful if anyone has a setting or two for the LCD-X when used with the Plenue without a separate amp...

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
  anyone have anymore?

I find it strange that the Plenue P1 is the portable dac that time (and man) forgot!

also - anyone tried the new 200GB micro SD in their Plenue? it is too expensive still here in the UK to try and see it does't support it.... and cowon never reply

I know what you mean - its like Cowon don't push into the hands of enough reviewers. I'd like to see further refinement of the UI - but Cowon don't seem to be doing anything more there either!

Yes, the Sandisk 200GB micro sd works just fine (I'm on firmware 2.14). Mine's chocka with DSD classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back