Crackling over USB during WiFi data transfer
Feb 28, 2024 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wilk0076

New Head-Fier
I just got a new laptop yesterday.

I have a FiiO Q5 USB DAC, which has served me well for many years. I have it attached to my laptop by USB.

Listening to audio through it on this new laptop is pristine... until I start transferring data over WiFi. Even running a speed test at Google or Fast.com will cause crackling during the test.

This was not an issue on my previous laptop.

Thoughts or suggestions??

I have tried different USB cables and different USB ports on the laptop, but the problem still occurs.

If I plug my headphones directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the laptop and perform the same action, I do not hear the crackling -- so it must have to do with the USB interface and some kind of interference or .... I don't know.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 13
On some laptops, usb ports can be tied to other drivers--like video, wifi, bluetooth. You can try different drivers. If Intel, there's a scan utility, or you can try rolling back the driver. You can also try disabling power management on the usb ports--under device manager, usb controller, generic usb hub, power management.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't able to roll back the driver and disabling power management didn't seem to do the trick.

I live this laptop, but it's a real disappointment to know that this wifi/usb interference is a thing.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 13
I ran into something similar on my Asus Strix... took a long time to figure it out. Does it do that on all usb ports?

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 13
question are you using 5ghz wifi or 2.4ghz, cause apparently theres kind of a known thing for USB 3.0 ports to have some kind of interference with 2.4ghz wifi although. It's largely been solved I still occasionally can see it happen if the circumstances are right.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 13
It is connected on 6ghz. And it does do it on all USB ports.

I haven't tried connecting the laptop to ethernet and disabling wifi, yet (since the thing doesn't have an ethernet port). Have to get an adapter or dock to try that.

Even so, I'd hate to have to wire into the network just to resolve this sound issue. Especially since my last laptop worked fine!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 13
It sounds like you're maxxing out the usb bandwidth and trying to play music at the same time causes weird things to happen like that.

Don't do both at the same time.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 13
I just don’t think that’s the case, given that my 5 year old laptop didn’t have this issue and my brand new 2024 one does.

Iam not maxxing out USB bandwidth listening to Spotify and browsing the web, yet this data transfer over WiFi is causing the issue,

Going to try a wired connection tomorrow using a usb-ethernet adapter…

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 13
Run DPC latency test. Further action to determine driver which cause problem is more complex, but simply running a test will show that there is a problem with drivers. Most frequently NVidia graphics driver is a culprit. Alternatively from possible converters you can try:

- USB to WiFi dongle with disabled internal WiFi
- USB to Ethernet adapter
- RJ-45 to WiFi with Wifi extender

Any of them cost below $15, there are more expensive, but won't make any difference. With first two options USB root hub is still involved and inexpensive modern chipsets use only one superspeed hub. The best chance gives WiFi extender on a short UTP cable (usually supplied with device). Get a one with integrated power plug.

From other options try a cheap USB 2.0 hub (but not 3.x). If helps, get a hub with external power supply, it may even improve sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Just tried it with a USB-Ethernet adapter and sound was crystal clear - no issues.

This is a high quality laptop, you'd think that the built-in WiFi and USB wouldn't interfere like this... I don't want to string Ethernet across my office, that's why I have a really nice WiFi setup!

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Just tried it with a USB-Ethernet adapter and sound was crystal clear - no issues.
The last option you can try whether you can use it with internal WiFi, USB 2.0 hub. It costs few bucks only.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, I really don't want a lot of dongles and cables coming out of the laptop - it defeats the mobility.

Right now I've got the DAC connected via bluetooth, which isn't my ideal solution, but it works for most stuff. I just hate the idea of compression and latency that comes with not using the USB connection.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I did end up trying a USB 2.0 dock and the crackling during WiFi data transfer still persisted.

So, I found a different solution. When using my USB DAC, I also plug in a small Netgear A6150 USB WiFi adapter and disable the motherboard's WiFi.
The audio is crystal clear with this setup and the Netgear is tiny.

The data transfer is slower, but still well within what I need to do while I'm listening to music.

400x400-A6150.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back