crave for muddy sound! help!!!
Jan 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

squirrelboy1210

Head-Fier
okay two years back i got the beats tours, then i read a couple of reviews by audio professionals and did some research and found out they really suck... for the price, anyway (plus, i had to get them fixed 6 times.. 6 TIMES!!!!!). so then i got myself an ATH-M50 and a UE500 and was quite pleased with my purchase. however i've suddenly developed a craving for muddy sound/ headphones that play around way too much with the sound signature and am again inclined to getting the Bose Oe2 or Beats whatever! i really like the boost in the lower frequencies/ vocals they have... i  know they sound nothing like the original recording of music and i also know i'll regret my spending of money in such headphones so PLEASE somebody talk me out of this! what kind of sound should i be craving/ proper ways to evaluate headphones, etc. just turn me in the right direction audio-wise

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm also new to the scene, but I've been finding out that you like what you like.  Even if 50 people tell you that you should like something else, chances are if you don't like that particular sound, you're not going to suddenly love it.

Just go with what sounds great to you; that's the whole point of the hobby, anyway.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm also new to the scene, but I've been finding out that you like what you like.  Even if 50 people tell you that you should like something else, chances are if you don't like that particular sound, you're not going to suddenly love it.

Just go with what sounds great to you; that's the whole point of the hobby, anyway.

I like this. I'm brand new as well. You're the only one listening so get what you like.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 19
I completely agree, don't base your opinion on headphones from what other people say, listen and if you like them then great. It's as simple as that.

There was a thread earlier about some guy with Beats, he said he loved the way they sound and found them really stylish but was interested in getting some senns. One poster said, "return the beats ASAP".

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 19
Lol, just EQ. You can do this with pretty much any headphones, from Boses to Stax Omegas. No need to buy a new pair, Crank doze MUDDY KNOBZ up!

When you finally get tired of it (and you will), simply turn the EQ off.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 19
Here are my "groove" cans in no particular order (when I don't care about nit-picking every detail in my head).  They all have boosted bass with a forward midrange/vocal presentation, with the AE2 being the most bass-heavy.  But none of these really tip the scale to ALL-bass, they are still pretty balanced across the spectrum IMHO

Koss KSC75
Koss Portapro
Bose AE2
Grado HF-1 with flat pads

I don't own one anymore but the DT770-80 should be on your list of contenders.  You might need to add an amp though depending on the strength of what you're plugging into now.  A poorly amped DT770 sounds like fart (LOL)... IMHO.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 19
Pretty much this. If you are craving for muddy sound, you're obviously not the purist type. EQ is the best way to change sound signature for non-purists.

Quote:
Lol, just EQ. You can do this with pretty much any headphones, from Boses to Stax Omegas. No need to buy a new pair, Crank doze MUDDY KNOBZ up!

When you finally get tired of it (and you will), simply turn the EQ off.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 19
Xb-500 is bass heavy and muddy

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
okay two years back i got the beats tours, then i read a couple of reviews by audio professionals and did some research and found out they really suck... for the price, anyway (plus, i had to get them fixed 6 times.. 6 TIMES!!!!!). so then i got myself an ATH-M50 and a UE500 and was quite pleased with my purchase. however i've suddenly developed a craving for muddy sound/ headphones that play around way too much with the sound signature and am again inclined to getting the Bose Oe2 or Beats whatever! i really like the boost in the lower frequencies/ vocals they have... i  know they sound nothing like the original recording of music and i also know i'll regret my spending of money in such headphones so PLEASE somebody talk me out of this! what kind of sound should i be craving/ proper ways to evaluate headphones, etc. just turn me in the right direction audio-wise

If you want a mudpie check out the Sennheiser HD419's. I just picked up a couple pairs for my wife and I and the bass is thick as gravy all the way up to the lower mids, to say that the upper mids and highs are veiled is to stretch the meaning of that word. Suffice to say that the sound is colored heavily, it's not always unpleasing, and they will likely give you what you're looking for. Mine were $32 shipped.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 19
hold on then... considering that the beats and bose are all about sound signature (it even says on the bose website "bose active acoustic EQ fine-tunes your music" or something) and hardly have imaging, spacing, detail, etc., is it possible to take the frequency graphs, copy it, and make my M50 sound just like them?

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
hold on then... considering that the beats and bose are all about sound signature (it even says on the bose website "bose active acoustic EQ fine-tunes your music" or something) and hardly have imaging, spacing, detail, etc., is it possible to take the frequency graphs, copy it, and make my M50 sound just like them?

That won't work - headphone construction as well as the way the cups are dampened will affect which frequencies are prominent - You'll have to come up with an original eq

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 19
I love my XB500 for muddy, gritty, bass thumping music. Being able to feel the headphones literally move around on my head.

The beautiful part about it though is that it equalizes so very well. You can bring the vocals and treble literally all the way forward with a little EQ if you want.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I love my XB500 for muddy, gritty, bass thumping music. Being able to feel the headphones literally move around on my head.

The beautiful part about it though is that it equalizes so very well. You can bring the vocals and treble literally all the way forward with a little EQ if you want.

The muddy bass just won't disappear, even with EQ, I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back