Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Nov 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #136 of 258
Hi guys,

The right side of my CAL recently stopped working and I was wondering about opening it up and checking for the trouble. The problem is, I have no idea about how to do it.

I've figured out that it is wiring problem as it crackles and starts playing (intermittently) if I adjust it at the rubber tip outlet part of the can. So possibly a loose wiring or something. I tried to remove the ear pad, but so far I've been utterly unsuccessful. 

Could any of you please let me know how to open up the can? Is it supposed to be removed by just pulling the leather cushion or am I supposed to rotate the plate and pull it up or something? I tried both and it is just too damn tight and nothing happened. Since I didn't want to ruin the cushions or worse, damage the drive, I didn't proceed further.

If someone could help with a detailed how to tutorial, I'd be very thankful. Also, what are the best replacement ear pads for Cal? I apologize if I am posting at the wrong thread. If so, please do redirect me to the right section. Thanks. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #137 of 258
The CAL are pretty easy to disassemble. The ear pads are wrapped around the housing, so if you use your finger and pull it slightly down( towards the cable), you would be able to remove it. Then you will see two screws. Remove those and you should be able to access the connections for the driver. Let me know if you need to recable them.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #138 of 258
Thanks for the reply. I've already tried it and I've been unsuccessful. I don't know whether it is because I am new to all this or because the pads have become pretty tight over the years. I have half a mind to just rip the cushions off, fix it and then find a replacement cushion. Again, since I'm a newb, I don't have any idea which cushions fit the specifications of CAL. :)

I'd be thankful if you can either let me know how to disassemble it or point me out to some suitable cushions.

Happy New Year to you and to everyone here. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #139 of 258
Put one finger under the earpads, pull it down a little bit and pull up. You should be able to get the cup out that way. The earpads are not part of the earcup, it's tucked under it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #141 of 258
Just modded mine, with dynamat and fiberloft, brings out the mids and also tightens up the bass with a little loss of soundstange width everything becomes more transparent without the resonances being present in the chamber, even after using a hifiman he-500 or a phillips x2 I don't feel these phones are inferior, and definitely superior if all are run unamped, I prefer these phones to the HD558 and my DT990 pro (too much treble and the mids are too recessed not to mention sub bass extension isn't as good imo). These phones are an absolute steal for 70~ USD. 

Im looking for pad replacement wonder if other kinds of pads would change the sound, also wondering if senn momentum pads would fit. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #142 of 258
Some pads that have worked well for me are the NVX XRE100A (Angled) and XRE100S (Straight) Protein Leather earpads. They're available from Sonic Electronix, although I'm not certain the XRE100A is offered seperately from the XPT100 Headphone (Brainwavz HM5 clone) anymore...

Anyhow, the XRE100A & XRE100S pads have a lip on the baffle side that comes in quite far from the edge, and fits the Creative Aurvana Live! almost perfectly, as well as being very thin as well.

Sonically, there is much better soundstaging, as one might expect from getting the driver farther away from the ear; and angled away. The memory-foam is nice and dense, and the Protein-Leather material is quite good.

I've done a few mods on mine as well, and regard these headphones highly.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #144 of 258
Would the CAL be good for movies, plugged into my A/V receiver? Good bass, clear vocals, ample ear space and depth?

Has anyone put velour pads on the CAL? Or does that mess up the sound?

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #145 of 258
  Would the CAL be good for movies, plugged into my A/V receiver? Good bass, clear vocals, ample ear space and depth?

Has anyone put velour pads on the CAL? Or does that mess up the sound?

Thanks.

I would say that they would be good for movies sound wise. They have a nice rumbling bass, clear forward vocals thanks to that little bit of a bump at 1k region, and decent soundstage for a closed headphone (as it's actually more of a semi-open design due to bit of that space at the edge of the cups).

Ear space wise though some may find that it's not enough room for some ears. I have smallish ears so I find them deep and wide enough but those with bigger ears may find that they touch the inner fabric and the edges of the pads. They have very light clamping force though at least, so I personally find them comfortable enough for long listening sessions.

Im looking for pad replacement wonder if other kinds of pads would change the sound, also wondering if senn momentum pads would fit. 

Denon D1001 pads or Fostex Kotori 201 pads would fit perfectly as they are basically the same headphones as the CAL!'s (D1001 pads are actually very slightly different in width/depth, though Fostex ones looks the same as the CAL!), but Denons are discontinued and the Kotori are only sold in Japan, so they would be pretty hard to come by... perhaps contact both Denon and Fostex to see it'd be possible to order them in?

I would think that the original Momentum pads would likely be too small, but the new 2.0 ones look like they may be big enough. I'm sure they would change the sound signature pretty drastically, though...

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #147 of 258
Has anyone compared the CAL to the Grado SR80e? Sound, comfort, etc?

I'm looking for a can for movies. I prefer an open can, but the CAL reportedly has a good soundstage, so I thought it might work well. My concern with the CAL is the clamping pressure over my glasses. Is the clamping pressure low enough not to be a problem? 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back