crossfeed/binaural-iser question
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

isnotdynamic

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
I've been interested in crossfeed and binaural for years. I made my first binaural recording way back in the early '80's using a set of Sennheiser 414's on my head connected to the mic input of a cassette recorder. The results were uncanny to say the least. Later I became interested in the idea of crossfeed but never liked how it was implemented. Limitations of technology I guess.

After much head scratching I think I've devised a way to do it that should work better than current options, however, I don't know if there is suitable software to enable it as needed. In the graphics world they have what are called 'shader trees' that look to all intents like flowcharts, these enable branching, adjusting, merging and all that good stuff. It's an incredibly powerful process that I don't know exists in the same way for audio processing, so I'm asking advice on programs that might work for the attached sequence so that I can experiment and test these ideas.

What's happening in the diagram is the audio from a media player gets split. One signal goes straight through unchanged as the primary stereo signal, the secondary (crossfeed) is fed into a series of plugins to swap left and right, add a time delay (like binaural), equalization to simulate frequency falloff from as sound hits the opposite ear to the sound origin , maybe a slight reverb to simulate room reflections, and finally reduce the volume to an appropriate level before combining the two signals into one.

Once these processes are combined it should (I think) reasonably simulate real crossfeed and binaural effects because the process is additive, meaning the crossfeed signal is layered onto the original as both time delayed and at a lower level so it keeps the original stereo signal as clean as possible. Apart from the channel swap, the plugins should have adjusters so that all the effects are fully variable, enabling precise tuning.
s!AvAWmEB13Qhsi85Okktzxx5U6Q9MTg

crossfeed.jpg

This is still just an idea in my head that I think covers the primary features necessary for the task. Hopefully some of you will give it a try and see if it works in case I can't find the software to try it myself. I'd love to know if it works.
Sorry for the long post and thanks if you got this far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back