Current DAP options
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greatbadir

Head-Fier
Hi all. I’ve been a member for a while, but rarely post as most stuff I would ask has usually already been answered - I generally use the forum as a reference tool only. But now I find that I have a question that I can’t find a complete answer for…

I currently have a 160gb Cowon X7, and I’ve maxed it out. I have approximately 250gigs of music (and increasing all the time) and listen to ALL of it on rotation. I generally like to shuffle the whole lot, peppered with some specific songs/albums as and when they take my fancy. Because of that, at some point this year I would like to get a DAP that will replace the X7, and preferably one that can hold my entire music collection in one place. Whilst I know there are already separate discussions on the forum which would answer this question, I’d like the options available to me in one place, because I think there may be one or two that I don’t know about and/or have overlooked.

At the moment, price, size, sound quality/signature, and RockBox availability are NOT a concern, and I am not after any personal recommendations - I literally just need a factual list of what is currently available/soon-to-be-available (and confirmed as soon to be available – not drawing board stuff) that falls into these simple categories:

A one-box DAP (i.e. no separate amp required);
Large storage capacity, 240gigs bare minimum – this can either be HDD based, an easily modded existing player, or a player with the ability to swap out memory card(s) for one(some) with higher capacity as they become more affordable (however, I don’t want USB OTG – the memory needs to be IN the player itself);
Support for OGG, MP3, FLAC, WAV and AAC

At the moment I know the following fall into this (or near as dammit):
Modded iPod classic
A couple of modded Archos media players (loads still available on eBay)
iBasso DX50
FiiO X5

Any others, or is that pretty much it?

It would seem to me that the DX50 and X5 are probably my best bets (according to what I've read about them), but I wanted to make doubly sure I wasn't missing anything else.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 13
If you head over to  http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread  you'll see that Dminor is reporting success with a 256 gig cf card modded 5th gen ipod.  That or a 240 gig hdd ipod from ebay will probably be your best bet right now.  128 gig micro sd cards have been announced at ces but not actually available right now.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks davidcotton.

I'm not that desperate to replace this minute - it's purely driven by the frustration at having to take stuff off (and umming and ahhing about what to take off) before I can put something else on.  Otherwise, the X7 is still working wonderfully, so I can afford to wait until the higher capacity cards are available.  Which, basically, is my way of saying that an iPod (even a modded one) is, for me personally, the very last resort (yep, I'd even take an Archos over an iPod).  Also, am I right in thinking that even a full iMod still benefits greatly from, if not needs, an amp? 

In terms of other players in the pipeline (i.e. those that are at beta testing stage), is there anything similar to the DX50?  According to the specs on that, it can take anything up to 2tb (which I presume is what their firmware limit is?).  I know we're a ways off that with memory cards, and they're going to be mega expensive in the short term, but in the long term that, to me, basically translates as ever expandable memory, in other words it's only limited by the maximum size of the memory cards available at a given time.  Unlike the situation with a lot of players where the limit is purely down to the firmware (the X7, for example).

Also, has there been official confirmation that the FiiO X5's firmware will allow as much as the DX50?  Reading through the thread, it seems to be a tad uncertain on that front, and from things I've read on some other blogs and forums, they say that the X5 will take two 64gig cards, but they don't specify if that's just because that is what is currently available, or if that is the firmware's limit.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 13
I also have a Cowon X7 and like it a lot despite its bulk but have maxed it out as well and am seeking another alternative..suggestions welcome...i did try the AK120 Titan and it didnt work for me

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 13
my I suggest 10 clip+ and micro SDs? ^_^
99% of existing daps are in the 8 to 32giga ballpark then some have sd card extension. and stangely enough there are less fat storage daps now than a few years back. no obvious victory dap for you mate sorry.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 13
The new Sony ZX-1 is getting some rave reviews on the Head-fi forums regarding UI and sound quality (I do not have personal experience with this device). 

However, it misses one of your criteria in only having 160 GB storage with no SD card expansions.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 13
I have several thousand CD's and I did start buying and collecting them back in the early 80s....in addition I have a high end stero system which plays my cd's....i would much rather have the physical cd and the option of downloading it myself

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Considering price wise is not a problem for you, the only available options meeting your storage criteria would be:
1) AK240 - 256gb internal with 1 microsd slot (320gb and potentially 384gb when 128gb microsd is out)
2) AK120 Titan - 128gb internal with 2 microsd slots (256gb with potential of 384gb)
3) AK120 - 64gb internal with 2 microsd slots (192gb with potential of 320gb)
4) AK100 - 32gb internal with 2 microsd slots (160gb with potential of 288gb)
5) X5 - No internal with 2 microsd slots (128gb with potential of 256gb)

Unfortunately for OP, almost all options at the moment are only AK products.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 13
Actually there's one I haven't seen mentioned yet: DX 50 has USB OTG capability.

You could hook up any type of portable external hard disk and carry with your DX 50 for virtually limitless storage. Back when I had mine I carried around an extra 128 Gig Jump drive. that coupled with my microSD gave me almost 200 gigs of space

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 13
Actually there's one I haven't seen mentioned yet: DX 50 has USB OTG capability.

You could hook up any type of portable external hard disk and carry with your DX 50 for virtually limitless storage. Back when I had mine I carried around an extra 128 Gig Jump drive. that coupled with my microSD gave me almost 200 gigs of space

I didn't mentioned the DX50 since the OP didn't want USB OTG storage but wants it internal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back