Custom Art FIBAE Black Announcement
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #361 of 552
Wow, you're fast :)

I just got them, for me, they are so fresh, I didn't even finish the burn-in period with Fibae Black to start writing :)

Man, I have to agree - Coming from a background of hearing a LOT of IEMs, and I just mean a lot, Fibae Black manages to somehow feel special, to somehow charm me. Which is funny, because it ain't nothing this magical on paper, it just ends up being so much fun in practice, you just feel the magic of music, you don't think it, you don't think about every detail, you simply enjoy them. I really need to find the proper words to describe them :)

I wouldn't use them for competitive shooters, but if you want to hear the mystical music in the background of a more complex game, like say, for Nier Automata, I'd totally recommend them. Also, Visual Novel Soundtracks sound awesome with Fibae Black

For movies, they have enough impact, and enough stage to feel fun. I tend to go for much bassier for movies watching usually :)

Fibae Black works well for anime though, they have an upper midrange emphasis, that brings certain voices closer to the listener, which makes the voices in anime feel really sweet~
My eyes went wide at the thought of Nier: Automata. That's a great suggestion! Spent many agonizingly beautiful but heart-tearing hours on that game. I'll bet that Breath of the Wild will sound good too, since you mention atmospheric games. In fact, I hope to do that on an upcoming trip - I'd like to see how CIEM's do on an airplane.

Say, @davidcotton, any word on when yours get back from the lab?

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #362 of 552
Wow, that looks wonderful. You timed that shot perfectly with your keyboard lighting. They complement each other perfectly. Do you game too, seeing as you have a Razer keyboard? Curious to know what the Black is like with gaming or movies.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to time the rainbow wave. I really do enjoy the color fades (reds, purples, blues) so I ended up doing a bunch of manual calculations to get that turquoise to red fade on the keyboard.

Anyways, I have to agree with Dobrescu. I don't personally recommend them for competitive games. Playing Rainbow Six, I struggled a bit to determine where footsteps are. Of course, R6's sound design is questionable in certain maps but none the less, I don't think you'll want these to help you with competitive stuff vs a headphone or an iem with a wider soundstage.

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #363 of 552
My eyes went wide at the thought of Nier: Automata. That's a great suggestion! Spent many agonizingly beautiful but heart-tearing hours on that game. I'll bet that Breath of the Wild will sound good too, since you mention atmospheric games. In fact, I hope to do that on an upcoming trip - I'd like to see how CIEM's do on an airplane.

Say, @davidcotton, any word on when yours get back from the lab?
Sorry only just seen this. No idea is the short answer. Long answer is that they've only just been delivered today (seems the average is 4 days which is pretty good from the uk), and I think there is some meeting or other happening overseas that might have most of Custom Arts attention right at the moment :p I also don't know how they are going to handle the refit given that Piotrus built them himself. Ie will they wait until he gets back (fair enough) or just go ahead with it. Either way I'm probably looking at least another 2-3 weeks without them :frowning2:

It was torture at work this week without a decent set of ciems that sealed and blocked the noise out :frowning2: I've been talking myself out of ordering something in the uk just to get something to listen to (universals and I really don't play well sadly) :p Thing is I'd rather put that money towards CA's next creation instead. Plus if that needed a refit (which it probably would) then that's a bit pointless anyway.

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #364 of 552
Sorry only just seen this. No idea is the short answer. Long answer is that they've only just been delivered today (seems the average is 4 days which is pretty good from the uk), and I think there is some meeting or other happening overseas that might have most of Custom Arts attention right at the moment :p I also don't know how they are going to handle the refit given that Piotrus built them himself. Ie will they wait until he gets back (fair enough) or just go ahead with it. Either way I'm probably looking at least another 2-3 weeks without them :frowning2:

It was torture at work this week without a decent set of ciems that sealed and blocked the noise out :frowning2: I've been talking myself out of ordering something in the uk just to get something to listen to (universals and I really don't play well sadly) :p Thing is I'd rather put that money towards CA's next creation instead. Plus if that needed a refit (which it probably would) then that's a bit pointless anyway.
You'd think that with "Can Jam Singapore" posters all over this website, I would have put two and two together that @piotrus-g and co would be busy. :upside_down: Don'y worry, I would expect that once they get your Black's sorted out, it will be forever engrained in their collective memory about your specific setup and the flagship will come to you perfectly fit out-of-the-box. That's kinda where my brain's at, at least: save pennies for the new flagship whenever it may come. Wednesday was my "eight weeks since confirmation" day so, hopefully, everything for my order is nearly ready to go and all that they have to do on Monday is drop it off at the post and send me an email :grin:. Glad to see other folks posting about their packages coming in!

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #365 of 552
Apologies for the terrible phone photo but I had to share this with y'all.

Black.jpg

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #367 of 552
Custom or universal?

@Wyville are the blacks universal the same shape and size as the ei3 you had done?
They are custom beauties My 3rd set of customs from CA and a perfect fit again. :couple_with_heart:

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #368 of 552
@Wyville are the blacks universal the same shape and size as the ei3 you had done?
They are very similar in size and shape, but for some reason I have been having an easier time using the double flange tips that were always a bit more tricky to get right with my Ei.3. Could be a tweak in the design, but could also have to do with the cable. I will probably take some pictures next week of them side by side (for the review) and can take a few extra to give an idea of how they compare.

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #369 of 552
They are very similar in size and shape, but for some reason I have been having an easier time using the double flange tips that were always a bit more tricky to get right with my Ei.3. Could be a tweak in the design, but could also have to do with the cable. I will probably take some pictures next week of them side by side (for the review) and can take a few extra to give an idea of how they compare.

Thanks, was just curious as they looked a little different. I noticed the same thing between my music two's and fibae 2's universal (still don't like double flanges though :frowning2: )

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #370 of 552
Maybe it's just me, but the stock double flanges that came with the blacks just weren't very comfortable. They stuck out a lot more in my ear than the other stock tips. Sounded less bassy because of that but boy, they felt weird. The RHA ones are a lot more comfortable for me.

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #371 of 552
Maybe it's just me, but the stock double flanges that came with the blacks just weren't very comfortable. They stuck out a lot more in my ear than the other stock tips. Sounded less bassy because of that but boy, they felt weird. The RHA ones are a lot more comfortable for me.
Yeah, the stock double flange tips are a bit tricky to get to sit right. I think because they are quite wide. If they are not sitting right you can really hear the difference, but if they are the sound is pretty close to the custom version. At least, that was what I found with my Ei.3. That is why I want to use the double flange tips for the Black, so I can give the best possible impressions of how they sound.

I haven't tried the RHA tips yet, are those shaped differently?

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #372 of 552
I haven't tried the RHA tips yet, are those shaped differently?

In terms of physical shape, they are almost the same. It looks like the RHA tips are just barely (barely as in barely noticeable) taller and wider than the stock ones. But what really separated the two is how deep the tips sit in your ear and how it sits over the iem's nozzle. The first image is just the two tips next to each other. Again, they more or less look the same in terms of height and width. The main difference is that eartip connector's placement (I don't know eartip terminology). The RHA connector sits more towards the center of the tip whereas the stock tip connector sits closer to the edge of the tip. The second image just shows what they look like on the iem itself. You'll notice that the RHA tip sits closer over the nozzle of the iem whereas the stock tip protrudes out more. For me personally, this leads to more comfort with the RHA since not only does the iem sit closer to my ear without as deep of an insertion, but the RHA tips are also squishier/ softer than the default. So in the long run, I'm not feeling the eartip pressure as much. But again, I really couldn't get a good fit with the stock tips. They just wanted to fall out or the seal wasn't that great, so I can't really say much about them.
DSC_0705.JPG DSC_0706.JPG

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #373 of 552
In terms of physical shape, they are almost the same. It looks like the RHA tips are just barely (barely as in barely noticeable) taller and wider than the stock ones. But what really separated the two is how deep the tips sit in your ear and how it sits over the iem's nozzle. The first image is just the two tips next to each other. Again, they more or less look the same in terms of height and width. The main difference is that eartip connector's placement (I don't know eartip terminology). The RHA connector sits more towards the center of the tip whereas the stock tip connector sits closer to the edge of the tip. The second image just shows what they look like on the iem itself. You'll notice that the RHA tip sits closer over the nozzle of the iem whereas the stock tip protrudes out more. For me personally, this leads to more comfort with the RHA since not only does the iem sit closer to my ear without as deep of an insertion, but the RHA tips are also squishier/ softer than the default. So in the long run, I'm not feeling the eartip pressure as much. But again, I really couldn't get a good fit with the stock tips. They just wanted to fall out or the seal wasn't that great, so I can't really say much about them.
Thanks for going through all that trouble! Had a look at Amazon (UK) yesterday, as I need to get some stuff ordered before Brexit happens anyway, but for some reason they can't ship those tips to the Netherlands. Will ask at a local store that sells RHA, as it looks like they are worth a try. Thanks again!

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #374 of 552
Thanks, was just curious as they looked a little different. I noticed the same thing between my music two's and fibae 2's universal (still don't like double flanges though :frowning2: )
Took a few pictures and as you can see the Ei3 shell has a more rounded shape:
_MG_8898.JPG
_MG_8900.JPG
_MG_8902.JPG
_MG_8904.JPG
So if I put them upright, you can see that the Ei.3 leans a little, while the Black has a flat underside.
_MG_8905.JPG
_MG_8906.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back