Custom IEM | $1200 | JH Angie, JH13 V2, UERM, 64 Ears A6 | U.S Based
Feb 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am looking for a $1200, U.S based Custom IEM. Neutral signature(with a touch of warmth), good low-end and top-end extension. Deep, textured, impactful Bass. Sub-bass that rumbles. Mids shouldn’t sound too forward. Smooth and airy Treble with a bit of sparkle.

What I am also particular about and am not able to comprehend from the reviews is the presentation: I like the presentation of my IE80. Large soundstage with a laid-back(distant) presentation. Like you are seated in the 5th row. So I am looking for such a presentation with larger soundstage and better imaging. #4 option in the picture below is what I am looking for.

I have been looking at UE Reference Monitor, 1964 A6, JH13 V2 and JH Angie.

- JH Angie - they just bumped the price to $1375 throwing it out of my budget. But if you think JH Angie is going to provide exactly what I am asking for, I won’t mind the extra $200.
- JH13 V2 - was just released, so I am waiting for more impressions
- UERM and 1964 A6 - Based on what I have read, these 2 may not have the low-end that fits my taste. And A6 could sound harsh in the treble region. But the presentation and soundstage seems to match my requirements.

Thanks for your help!

(#4 is what I am looking for)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 ​
Update 04/10/2016:

I had a chance to demo the 64 Audio A10 and A12 IEMs and ended up buying the A10 as I got a good deal. It has a presentation like the #4 in the picture. Although, A12 fit the description of the sound preference I described above, I ended up preferring the more balanced tuning of the A10.

Update 04/10/2016:

My A10 review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/64-audio-a10/reviews/16041

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 39
I'd also like to mention:

I had a chance to try a Westone W40 once and it sounded up-front. Close-to-your-face up-front. Like #1 in the picture above.  Also the mids sounded a bit too forward. It had intimacy, but just not my cup of tea.

I met a person at a Head-Fi meet recently who owned a Spiral Ear SE-5 Ultimate. He tried my IE80 and said that the SE-5 has a larger soundstage and sound that seems to come from a source(speaker) that is placed farther from the listener. From what he described, that seemed exactly what I am looking for. But Spiral Ear is located in Poland and at $1800 + shipping costs + import duty, SE-5 Ultimate is way beyond my budget.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 39
Free bump. Would like to read about comparisons myself. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 39
You mention a neutral signature but then say sub-bass that rumbles. Which would you lean more towards? For my money, all-BA IEMs just can't produce the bass of a DD (or hybrid). I personally would have said the Aurisonics AS-2.5 CIEM but they ditched the customs with the Fender acquisition :frowning2: I can't help with experience for the rest of your options but I think you may want to clarify your preferences before dropping that kind of cash.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 39
You mention a neutral signature but then say sub-bass that rumbles. Which would you lean more towards? For my money, all-BA IEMs just can't produce the bass of a DD (or hybrid). I personally would have said the Aurisonics AS-2.5 CIEM but they ditched the customs with the Fender acquisition
frown.gif
I can't help with experience for the rest of your options but I think you may want to clarify your preferences before dropping that kind of cash.

Thanks for your input. But I'd have to disagree with you on your first statement. A headphone can have a good sub-bass rumble and can still be neutral. Initially I was under the same impression that neutral headphones are bass-shy. Until I went to a head-fi meet recently and tried out some good neutral headphones. These cans although neutral, did a fantastic job in the low-end. Definitely wont satisfy bassheads though. But sufficient for my needs. So after trying out these headphones I seem to be in a better position now to describe the sound I am seeking, than I have ever been. And that is the reason I have decided to go all-in and invest $1.2k on this next pair. (my budget a couple of weeks back was $700)

And yes BA drivers cant move air like DDs. Manufacturers are now employing Dual and Quad BA drivers for the low end that come close to DDs but I still think that DDs have an edge when it comes to bass. I did consider the ASG 2.5. But after reading about it extensively, it seems to be bass heavy just like my IE80 which I am trying to avoid. It would have been my primary choice was I in the market for a Bass heavy IEM.

Quote:

Thanks. But based on what I have read, it seems to have a bit too much bass than what I need.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 39
Yes, the ASG-2.5 are absolute bass monsters. I have them in my ears right now :) You seem to know what you're looking for, I just wasn't sure based on your initial post. Your problem now is that most people don't put out that kind of money for one pair of headphones much less being able to compare multiple. Don't let the name scare you; check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club/

You won't be in the market for most of the top basshead IEMs but there are people in there that have owned many of your options. There are also people who aren't full-on basshead but want more bass than some Etymotics are going to offer so they head there.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 39
Yes, the ASG-2.5 are absolute bass monsters. I have them in my ears right now
smily_headphones1.gif
You seem to know what you're looking for, I just wasn't sure based on your initial post. Your problem now is that most people don't put out that kind of money for one pair of headphones much less being able to compare multiple. Don't let the name scare you; check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/the-best-iems-for-bass-are-the-iem-bass-club/

You won't be in the market for most of the top basshead IEMs but there are people in there that have owned many of your options. There are also people who aren't full-on basshead but want more bass than some Etymotics are going to offer so they head there.

Thanks
beerchug.gif
, I will check the thread out.

Actually, I have been to the thread on many occasions. And if I remember correctly I even shared a link to an article/video about 'why we love bass?' in the thread. I am not a bass head, but I can't stand headphones that do not have sufficient bass. So I was always on the lookout for IEMS with good bass. It shouldn't be a surprise that I own an IE80. In fact there was a point of time when I had actually decided that my upgrade was going to be a ASG 2.5. Things changed as I spent more time on Head-Fi and especially after trying those headphones out in the Head-Fi meet.  

It's a shame that Fender won't manufacture the Customs or the corresponding universals anymore. I have come across many who love their 2.5s. Bass community just lost a jewel.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 39
Almost didn't realize I had talked to you in an older thread you made about customs since you changed your name. I just received my A12s on Monday and haven't been able to stop listening to them. The soundstage is definitely amazing with the Adel module. I know A12s are way past your budget right now but... So were the customs you have listed above 2 months ago. Maybe if you were willing to wait a few more months? A12 isn't neutral though. I would say the A10 would be the most neutral from 1964 Ears, but I have read some people complaining that it isn't truly neutral. I think that the manual Adel modules would let you increase/decrease the bass but no idea how much soundstage you would have the sacrifice.

Sorry if that was hard to follow. It's late, and I'm still listening to my A12s.... Let me know if you have any questions about the A12s. And sorry about your wallet.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 39
Almost didn't realize I had talked to you in an older thread you made about customs since you changed your name. I just received my A12s on Monday and haven't been able to stop listening to them. The soundstage is definitely amazing with the Adel module. I know A12s are way past your budget right now but... So were the customs you have listed above 2 months ago. Maybe if you were willing to wait a few more months? A12 isn't neutral though. I would say the A10 would be the most neutral from 1964 Ears, but I have read some people complaining that it isn't truly neutral. I think that the manual Adel modules would let you increase/decrease the bass but no idea how much soundstage you would have the sacrifice.

Sorry if that was hard to follow. It's late, and I'm still listening to my A12s.... Let me know if you have any questions about the A12s. And sorry about your wallet.

@Kaye, Thanks for your input. Yes I had to change my name as I realized it was not wise to use one's actual name.  

As you can see, it is not just my name that has changed, my preferences too:
Silicone shell -> Acrylic shell
Bass Heavy -> Neutral Warmish
And yes the budget too,  $800 -> $1200 
biggrin.gif

Even at $1200, I am stretching my budget a bit too far. There is no way I could go beyond that. At least not in the near future. But the ADEL series has definitely piqued my interest (thanks to you). I am waiting for more impressions on the A6. I was seriously considering the V6-Stage but I have seen a few people who find the treble sibilant on the V6-S. One of the members here on Head-Fi did confirm that it is not sibilant. But I am trying to play safe. If A6 is also tuned just like the V6-S then I am dropping A6 too.

I am glad that you are enjoying your A12. Was my budget in the $2000 range, I definitely would have considered the A12. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 39
Angie is certainly neutral warm. The whole Siren series has bass-adjusting pots on the cable. Angie can sound anywhere from fairly dry, to wonderfully warm based on where you set the pots.

She also has an impressive soundstage, though the presentation maybe a little closer than you've specified.

Have a look at the Angie Impressions thread, and see if it sounds like what you want.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 39
Angie is certainly neutral warm. The whole Siren series has bass-adjusting pots on the cable. Angie can sound anywhere from fairly dry, to wonderfully warm based on where you set the pots.

She also has an impressive soundstage, though the presentation maybe a little closer than you've specified.

Have a look at the Angie Impressions thread, and see if it sounds like what you want.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Thank you. I have been frequenting the Angie thread lately and I really wish I could demo these somewhere. In fact, your review on it was one of the reasons I started considering the Angie seriously. But now that you mention that the presentation may be a little closer than what I am expecting, I think I am just going to take it off my list and just wait for more impression on the JH13 V2.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 39
You should check into Alclair Audio as well, they are based in Minnesota. They have a new 6 driver model that just came out, its not even on there website yet. I have the RSMs which are a 4 driver. I think you would like these a lot.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 39
You should check into Alclair Audio as well, they are based in Minnesota. They have a new 6 driver model that just came out, its not even on there website yet. I have the RSMs which are a 4 driver. I think you would like these a lot.

I was initially interested in the Alclair Reference Monitors($399). And from what I have read, these seem to offer that laid-back presentation with a wide soundstage I am looking for. But I dropped it when I started reading that it can have a bit of a sibilant top-end. Could you please share more impressions on your RSMs? These look like a great price/performance set of IEMs.

I just skimmed through the RSM thread to find more info on this new 6 driver IEM. Looks like I just have to wait it out. I am in no hurry anyways 
smily_headphones1.gif
. And thanks for bringing Alclair back on to my list.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 39
I have the RSMs ($650) and they are not sibilant in the slightest. I can not speak for the reference ones as I have never heard them. They are a great company with some of the best customer service anywhere. There should hopefully by some info on the 6 driver soon, I would say in the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back