Custom IEM DYNAMIC driver reshelling service ≤ Ø14mm - $220
Mar 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #107 of 118
Quote:
  Post of the day, someone with some common sense. Thank you and repped.

I think the project was mostly for those people curious about what a dynamic reshell would do to the sound; currently, as you know, there aren't many dynamic customs around, so kiteki was just trying to be pioneering and wanted to get a group of people crazy enough to try it out. I was one of the few silly enough to even consider it. No one ever said that this was a practical endeavor, or that it was going to make the existing dynamic earphone sound better; it was a project, as simple as that.

Also, I don't know about 'Post of the Day', seeing as the post raised a months' old thread from the dead...

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #109 of 118
Just an update, this project never really took off since most of the (limited) reshell requests were 16mm or Radius twin dynamic drivers.

The CIEM designer can't know for sure if it will work, since it depends on the size of your ear, and the complexity of the universal IEM which he'll have to dismantle.

So, I was skeptical to handle the logistics of a number of Sony EX1000's or complex universal IEM's, should the designer dismantle them and then the driver doesn't fit, and I don't speak Chinese.

I'm sure with the right amount of time and creativity you can turn any universal IEM into a successful custom IEM with potentially superior sound, so it is a sound pioneering project in theory, which I would definitely undertake if I made my own CIEM's.

Nonetheless tomscy2000 is a good bilingual CIEM ambassador if you feel like any exotic IEM's from the far east he may be able to help if you ask nicely.

Thousand Sound do speak proficient English and answer concisely, and Tomo at http://hfi.jp is the ambassador for Rooth.

On a seperate note, after extensive listening to the JH11 and JH16 I think more than 6 drivers is overrated, you need a very accurate crossover design to eliminate the phase shift.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #111 of 118
I think the best compromise solution would be to go with custom tips which is also a safe bet. But even with these tips the sound bore diameter and length maker huge difference.

The point is removing the high quality driver from it's sonic iron grid, and setting it free in a 100% synchronized acrylic fit with new freedom and zero resonance.

Tips and isolation only account for so much difference.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/614513/jvc-fx500-yellow-filter-black-filter-and-cotton-removal-review

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #112 of 118
Reviving this thread...

I have contacted INEARCUSTOMS. I haven't gotten an answer but I hope they are able to reshell universals with large (dynamic) drivers.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. If there are others who would like to get their DDMs or other dynamics reshelled, you may use this thread or contact me.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #114 of 118
I already received extra info.

They cannot garantue it will be possible. But because I have a broken pair (cable trashed by cat), I will send them in. I can get an impression kit and if somehow it IS possible, Ron will reshell. If not, he is pretty sure he can repair my IEM.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #116 of 118
Quote:
what IEm is it?

Radius DDM HP-TW11. I have 2 pairs, one par with a trashed cable and a fully working pair. Ron tells me he can fix the cable and sending an impression kit is not that expensive so I guess it's not a bad idea to send them along. There's always a chance he will be able to fit the drivers in the shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back