Custom-tipped SE215s don't have much sound isolation
Jul 24, 2017 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
I've been using the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for my Shure SE215s for several months now and am a little disappointed with how little sound they block. Is it because the sleeves are made of silicone? Actual CIEMs are made from a different material, aren't they? I can't afford (or justify spending, even if I could afford) the amount of money it would take to purchase an actual pair of CIEMs.

I've looked at the specs for custom molded products in the past and remember seeing products that claimed to isolate more ambient noise than noise cancelling headphones (although I did not look at the specs for my Sensaphonics), so I was expecting my custom sleeves to block a lot more sound than they do.

Also, this is a strange complaint, and not one that I ever thought I would make, but the cable that comes included with the SE215s is built like a tank. Seriously, when you are wearing these, it feels like the earpieces are attached to rope rather than a cable. Most people here on Head-Fi would probably find this to be a good thing (and it certainly is better than some flimsy Apple earbuds-like cable that is going to fray on you), but I actually feel like the cable is built a little too well. It is a little disconcerting actually, if that makes any sense at all. But probably about all of the products that are popular here on Head-Fi have ropes for cables. They certainly look like they do in photos anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 9
(TL;DR version is just the first, bolded sentence)

I've been using the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for my Shure SE215s for several months now and am a little disappointed with how little sound they block.
Is it because the sleeves are made from silicone? Actual CIEMs are made from a different material, aren't they? I can't afford (or justify spending, even if I could afford) the amount of money it would take to purchase an actual pair of CIEMs.

I've looked at the specs for custom molded products in the past and remember seeing products that claimed to isolate more ambient noise than noise cancelling headphones (although I did not look at the specs for my Sensaphonics), so I was expecting my custom sleeves to block a lot more sound than they do. I may have to sell my 215s (though they wouldn't sell for much, being entry-cost IEMs) and purchase a pair of Bose NC headphones when I can afford them.

Also, this is a strange complaint, and not one that I ever thought I would make, but the SE215s feel too rugged to me for consumer use. This product is built like a tank, and, to be perfectly honest, it kind of distracts me from the music a little. I like my SRH840s better I think (I feel like they are amazing headphones), but even those feel a little more bulky than I like. It would be expensive, but I think I would eventually like to replace my entire collection of products with a pair of Bose headphones, possibly a pair of B&W P7s for when things aren't too noisy and I don't want NC circuitry noises bleeding into my music (don't know if I'll be able to justify that purchase. I may just stick with my 840s), and finally a pair of headphones that are more on the audiophile side of the spectrum to be paired with a nice tube amp (if I test drive one and find that I like the sound).

I know, y'all are probably thinking "he can't justify buying a pair of CIEMs, but he wants to buy all that"?? You're right, it may be silly, but I just feel like earphones shouldn't be that expensive, even if they are fancy "IEM" earphones. I feel like earphones are supposed to be cheaper than headphones - something you use when you're going out in public and don't want the bulk of headphones.

The custom tips depend a lot on the IEM they are made for, I cannot remember what the isolation of the normal SE215 is like, but I'm pretty sure it isn't as good as the higher end SE425 or similar westone series.

Also just to let you know for the price of the custom tips + SE215, you could have got a pair of custom monitors from Cosmic Ears....

Even if the custom tips are fully sealing, the IEM's might have a vent and that is what is letting the outside noise in. And IEM's are not just for when out and about, and not just a cheaper alternative for headphones, many professionals use them on stage, and a lot of people don't have time to sit with a nice pair of headphones and a lot of listening is done on the go, so why not invest in something that gives you the sound quality you crave on the go.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 9
And IEM's are not just for when out and about, and not just a cheaper alternative for headphones, many professionals use them on stage, and a lot of people don't have time to sit with a nice pair of headphones and a lot of listening is done on the go, so why not invest in something that gives you the sound quality you crave on the go.
I realize that musicians wear them in concerts, but my point was that most consumers use earphones when they don't want to deal with the bulk of headphones. Since I am not a touring musician, I belong to this group. I usually use my 215s instead of my SRH840s, because the plug for the latter is so large that I have to remove my phone/iPad cases to connect it.

The 215s/Sensaphonics combo doesn't block enough ambient noise, and, for me, that is a deal killer. And I'd rather make the jump to active noise cancellation than spend another large sum of money to try another pair of IEMs with custom tips.

It was my mistake to buy products marketed as professional monitoring solutions when I only ever plug them into an iPhone and an iPad. But if I replace them with the P7 and QuietComfort 25, those are intended for use with the sort of sources that I own.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 9
I realize that musicians wear them in concerts, but my point was that most consumers use earphones when they don't want to deal with the bulk of headphones. Since I am not a touring musician, I belong to this group. I usually use my 215s instead of my SRH840s, because the plug for the latter is so large that I have to remove my phone/iPad cases to connect it.

The 215s/Sensaphonics combo doesn't block enough ambient noise, and, for me, that is a deal killer. And I'd rather make the jump to active noise cancellation than spend another large sum of money to try another pair of IEMs with custom tips.

It was my mistake to buy products marketed as professional monitoring solutions when I only ever plug them into an iPhone and an iPad. But if I replace them with the P7 and QuietComfort 25, those are intended for use with the sort of sources that I own.

Active noise cancellation isn't great, I've yet to hear a headphone that sounds good with it. Plus it is only good for things like plane noise as it's a constant, they won't work with sudden noises, and ANC does degrade audio quality.

Most consumers use IEM's yes, but are usually quite cheap with standard tips, I think maybe you bought the custom tips expecting them to block out more noise, and not realising the housing has a lot to play in isolation as well as the tips. Before spending the money on tips just because you read they increase isolation, you may have tried some other IEM's that may have been a cheaper option.

The P7 wireless is excellent, it doesn't have ANC but sounds better than the Sennheiser counterparts that do.

You could always try a different IEM, just with the standard tips, something like the new Westone UM1 will isolate better and the stock tips are some of the best and most comfortable tips I've tried, also comply foam will increase isolation.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Active noise cancellation isn't great, I've yet to hear a headphone that sounds good with it.
I would only use the QC25s when there is distracting ambient noise. But when things are quiet and I want to use headphones that sound nicer, I'll pull out my P7s.

Before spending the money on tips just because you read they increase isolation, you may have tried some other IEM's that may have been a cheaper option.
I decided to try the SE215s instead of something else because I liked my Shure headphones and because I believe they were rated #1 or close to #1 in IEMs in the Head Gear section at the time. This was using the old site's default display order, which I believe was sorted by popularity.

You could always try a different IEM, just with the standard tips, something like the new Westone UM1 will isolate better and the stock tips are some of the best and most comfortable tips I've tried, also comply foam will increase isolation.
Thank you for the suggestion, but if other IEMs are as tank-like in construction as the SE215s, then I wouldn't be interested in them. I don't know how best to explain my thoughts on that matter. The ruggedness of the SE215s make them seem almost "sterile", like they lack the "personality" that consumer products have. If that makes any sense whatsoever to you. I know, I'm finicky. I'm not saying that I don't like a solidly built product, but the construction quality of the 215s seems like too much of a good thing to me.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 9
The P7 wireless is excellent
That is good to hear. I, however, would be purchasing the wired variant of the P7, as I am somewhat of a technophobe who hasn't been warmed up to the idea of wireless headphones. In my mind, they would become just another battery needing to be charged. Sorry for the double post; for some reason that part of your reply wasn't added to my quotes list.

Another benefit to purchasing the wired variant is that it is cheaper than the wireless version.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 9
That is good to hear. I, however, would be purchasing the wired variant of the P7, as I am somewhat of a technophobe who hasn't been warmed up to the idea of wireless headphones. In my mind, they would become just another battery needing to be charged. Sorry for the double post; for some reason that part of your reply wasn't added to my quotes list.

Another benefit to purchasing the wired variant is that it is cheaper than the wireless version.

But there is a benefit to buying the wireless, even if you only use it in wired mode. The driver is completely different and they sound completely different, the P7 wireless is (by quite a margin) better than it's former wired only model.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm not super enthused with my Sensaphonics custom earplugs for sleeping either. My ears get sweaty during the night (I'm not sure if they have always done that, or if it is because the earplugs trap heat and make them sweat) and then my earplugs fall out while I'm asleep. I spent a lot of money on these and I'm waiting for the day when they fall out and I can't find them. I wish they weren't transparent . . .

Don't some custom earplugs have some sort of string or something connecting them? I wish my earplugs had that. It would probably make them easier to find when they fall out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back