CVJ IEMs thread
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi friends!

CVJ is a relatively new player in the CHIFI scene, they released a few sleeper hits this year that were quite well regarded in reviews, but their gear went under the radar for discussion in audio sites, including headfi. These are some of their releases here:

1) CVJ CSA (1BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csa-iem.24425/reviews
CVJ CSA.PNG

2) CVJ CSN (5BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csn.24411/reviews
11251604.png

3) CVJ CS8 (3 BA + 1DD):
Just released, their newest flagship. No reviews currently, but I've just received a review unit, will burn in and leave some impressions soon.
CVJ 2.PNG

More CHIFI companies equals more choices and competition, I can only see this as a good thing for us consumers, especially at the budget/midfi segment. I remember a few years back, KZ was all the rage for CHIFI, and though KZ are still one of the market leaders, I gotta say there are some CHIFI brands that have surpassed KZ in terms of sound quality and price to performance. I haven't tried CVJ's first 2 IEMs (CSA and CSN), but from reading the reviews, it seems this new setup may be on to something.

Anybody else tried their products? Please feel free to give your impressions on them!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 108
Hi friends!

CVJ is a relatively new player in the CHIFI scene, they released a few sleeper hits this year that were quite well regarded in reviews, but their gear went under the radar for discussion in audio sites, including headfi. These are some of their releases here:

1) CVJ CSA (1BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csa-iem.24425/reviews
CVJ CSA.PNG

2) CVJ CSN (5BA + 1DD):
Headfi reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cvj-csn.24411/reviews
11251604.png

3) CVJ CS8 (3 BA + 1DD):
Just released, their newest flagship. No reviews currently, but I've just received a review unit, will burn in and leave some impressions soon.

More CHIFI companies equals more choices and competition, I can only see this as a good thing for us consumers, especially at the budget/midfi segment. I remember a few years back, KZ was all the rage for CHIFI, and though KZ are still one of the market leaders, I gotta say there are some CHIFI brands that have surpassed KZ in terms of sound quality and price to performance. I haven't tried CVJ's first 2 IEMs (CSA and CSN), but from reading the reviews, it seems this new setup may be on to something.

Anybody else tried their products? Please feel free to give your impressions on them!

Are they actually related to KZ and CCA?
I mean their style, their IEMs like have KZ/CCA DNA injected there.
And what i realized from the very first was the font they are using, its the same font with CCA logo.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 108
Are they actually related to KZ and CCA?
I mean their style, their IEMs like have KZ/CCA DNA injected there.
And what i realized from the very first was the font they are using, its the same font with CCA logo.

Not sure man, but I wouldn't be surprised these CHIFI companies source their parts, shells and drivers from the same factories, or someone OEMs for them.

It does look like the CCA font now that u mention it LOL.

Though from the above reviews of the CSN and CSA, their tuning philosophy seems different from the run of the mill KZs. Reviews seem to report the CVJ stuff as being neutralish compared to the V shaped KZs?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 108
Not sure about the sound since I never listen to them, but IIRC, they are gaining quite positive reviews. How is your early impression about the CS8 btw?

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 108
Good thread to start. I have the CVJ CSA and it is a pleasant sounding IEM. I much prefer 1 DD + 1BA setups to multiple BA's. With my picky ears there is usually something not rhythmically correct with multi BA IEMs. I tried the CSA C10 and find it hard to listen to. My foot doesn't tap. Correct bass generally drives rhythm and DDs tend to do that for me. Anyway the CVJ CSA is listenable. Bass is a bit soft and without great impact, but it's a great starter IEM and CVJ have set their ball in motion. Actually the best under $50 DD + BA set I bought was ages ago, the BQEYZ KB100, that has good impact and is well thought out. I hope CVJ can bring out some inexpensive quality IEMs. I fear though their formula will be like CSA and KZ and they will stuff as many BAs in as they can. Groundhog day.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 108
Not sure about the sound since I never listen to them, but IIRC, they are gaining quite positive reviews. How is your early impression about the CS8 btw?

OOTB, CVJ CS8 is a mild V shaped set, fit and comfort is good. Isolation above average. Bass is north of neutral but not at basshead levels. Upper mids occasionally hot when played at louder volumes (Fletcher munson curve), but if played at moderate/soft volumes, it is not that harsh compared to the usual TRN/KZ fare. Occasional sibilance with some splashy cymbals, but timbre for acoustic instruments is otherwise good for a hybrid. Technicalities above average at the $25 - 30 price point.

A not too bad set for CHIFI beginners I suppose, definitely better in tonality than the TRN VX which costs 2 to 3 times more. I couldn't use the TRN VX in stock form (without EQ or micropore mods) for more than 5 minutes due to the super harsh treble/upper mids. You'll probably own something more refined in your IEM stable though.

I think the main competitors would be stuff like the CCA C12, KZ ZSX/KZ ZS10 Pro, TRN V90. CS8 is not too bad for price to performance ratio at $25.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 108
Am I the only that find the name "CVJ CS8" really hard to remember and difficult to say out loud? :joy:

Even the Urbanfun ISS014, Is very easy for me to remember lol.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 108
Am I the only that find the name "CVJ CS8" really hard to remember and difficult to say out loud? :joy:

Even the Urbanfun ISS014, Is very easy for me to remember lol.

Haha I think they called it CS8 due to a combined 8 drivers on both sides. The CHIFI companies sometimes like to add drivers on both sides in their naming convention to give a perceived higher driver count in the name.

I do think this is easier to remember than some CCA and KZ products though. Like for example CCA C16 (8 BA older model) vs CCA CA16 (new hybrid that was just released).

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 108
Haha I think they called it CS8 due to a combined 8 drivers on both sides. The CHIFI companies sometimes like to add drivers on both sides in their naming convention to give a perceived higher driver count in the name.

I do think this is easier to remember than some CCA and KZ products though. Like for example CCA C16 (8 BA older model) vs CCA CA16 (new hybrid that was just released).
I think it is the CVJ and CS8 that is throwing me for a loop.

I am getting so confused by all their names lol. Starting to wonder if the CCA C10 is called CS10...

If I were to name it I would call the CCA C10, the CCA H10 (Hybrid 10 drivers) and CCA C16, the B16 (ba 16 drivers).

Instead of using letters with no connection to the iem in question lol.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 108
Or even just a simply model number as its name. So the first iem is called 1 and the next 2. :joy:
(At least it will be super easy to keep track on how many iems they have made)

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 108
Or even just a simply model number as its name. So the first iem is called 1 and the next 2. :joy:
(At least it will be super easy to keep track on how many iems they have made)

Yeah or at least name it some nice sounding catchy name like (Moondrop) Starfield or (BLON) Cardinal or (KBEAR) Diamond, so people can remember it by.

Now I recall that KZ and CCA doesn't have the worse naming convention actually in CHIFI. The honour belongs to TFZ:
There's TFZ King Ltd, King Pro, King Edition, Exclusive King Edition, King II, King III, King Edition. Not to mention all the Queens, Secret Gardens and series 1 to infinity. They even have a Tequila1 which I own, but there isn't a Tequila 2 or 3 as far as I know.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 108
Great topic because these guys know how to tune! I have both CSA & CSN and the CSA is a good all rounder and inexpensive while the CSN surprised the heck out of me. Built like a tank and sounds excellent. Its right below my top 2 iems in 3rd place. T800, S8F, CSN! Amazing addictive sound, smooth, balanced and laid back but still musical as all get out. I’m using it daily and can’t put it down for very long.
I love it!! :thumbsup: :sunglasses:

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 108
I think it is the CVJ and CS8 that is throwing me for a loop.

I am getting so confused by all their names lol. Starting to wonder if the CCA C10 is called CS10...

If I were to name it I would call the CCA C10, the CCA H10 (Hybrid 10 drivers) and CCA C16, the B16 (ba 16 drivers).

Instead of using letters with no connection to the iem in question lol.

Looks like ISN guys not only know how to tune byt also know how to name

H40 = Hybrid, 4 drivers, 0 mistake
D10 = Dynamic, 1 driver, 0 regret

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 108
Looks like ISN guys not only know how to tune byt also know how to name

H40 = Hybrid, 4 drivers, 0 mistake
D10 = Dynamic, 1 driver, 0 regret

...and D02?? :relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back