D5000 like sound?
Mar 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikewr

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, just trying to find a headphone that suits me.

The main thing I'm concerned about is the bass and mids.  I'm looking for headphones with some mid bass hump, but is also very well extended.  The mids I'm looking for could best be described as the mids of the Denon D5000.  Whenever I read up on the Denon D5000, I always read some comment about "lush", "full" or even the word "organic" to describe female vocals.  Well... thats exactly what I'm looking for.  I don't listen to much classical or stuff like that, and female volcals are a real guilty pleasure for me, but the female vocals I listen too are mainly in rock or trance/dnb music.  

The only headphone I've read that offers the sound signiture that I'm looking for is the D5000.  Is there any headphone out there that offers a similar sound under $500?  I know there are times where the D5000 could be found on Ebay, I've seen it but I face some pretty stiff competition when bidding for one.  Maybe I'll get lucky.  I already own an amp (magni) and a dac (Odac) and don't mind if it's open of closed.  I'll be using them at home.  Some of my musical preferences are rock, electronic, trance, some epic orchestra music from films.

Some headphones I've been looking at are;
HE-400 (From what Ive read it sounds perfect for me, but what concerns me is the drop in the upper mids, which I find important for female vocalist.  I could always just eq this up, but I don't like using eq because I feel it alters the rest of the frequency too.)
Mad Dog by Mr.Speakers (what concerns me here is the bass.  I read it's lacking in the mid bass department.  The mids on them sound tempting but, for the same reason I haven't bought the HD650 for it's mids, I don't want a "boring" sound for my musical preferences.)
FA-011 (Sounds alright, but from what I've read it's bass extention isn't on par with the D2000/D5000.)
ATH-A900x (sounds pretty good as well, I've seen people recommend it as an alternative to the denons.)

I'm going to end up selling my old telescope soon, and I know I'm going to get at least $200 for it.  That will put my budget over $500, and once I get the money I'm just going to abuse Amazons return policy and just buy-and-try every headphone on my list to see which I like best.  Any other headphones you guys feel I should look at?

Thanks for checking this out.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Heya,

The Mad Dog and the A900X are pretty close to the D5000.

Then again there's the D600 you could try.

Very best,

Hello, thanks for the reply.  I've read mixed reviews about the D600 so I'm not to sure.  maybe I can give it a try when the time comes.  I actually think, out of the headphones I listed, that I'm leaning more towards the A900x.  Whats your opinion on the bass and treble compared to the D5000?  

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hello, thanks for the reply.  I've read mixed reviews about the D600 so I'm not to sure.  maybe I can give it a try when the time comes.  I actually think, out of the headphones I listed, that I'm leaning more towards the A900x.  Whats your opinion on the bass and treble compared to the D5000?  

The A900X has a very similar sound to the D5000. But the A900X is less comfortable, less wide on the sound stage, and a touch less bright. Bass is fantastic, mids are excellent, and treble is nice, not dull, but not too bright either. Great headphone really. My biggest complaint is always the pads and kind of shallow cups; if you can find pad replacements, it would be ideal. I always wanted to put some SR007 stax pads on them to see how that worked. Or some J$ pads.

Very best,

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks again for your input.  I've seen a few complaints about those little fairy wings too, not enough to sway me from buying though. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't see anything wrong with D5000's at all. I've listened to plenty of them and always come out satisfied with their sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back