D7000: Re-cable Or Sell?
Jun 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bigtim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. So, my Denon D7000's haven't been getting much attention lately. Which is a shame as they are awesome.

The two main things that stop them being used more:

1. Sound leak. If Mrs bigtim is in the room these don't come out 
frown.gif

2. Cable length. I only use a portable source so the long cable is kinda awkward

I've been toying with the idea of re-cabling the D7000's to get a shorter cable but doesn't solve the sound leak. So I figured I could sell them and go for something different like MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.

There's not many D7000s for sale so not sure what they sell for. Any suggestions on over-ears which don't leak and have replaceable cables? I want something with the big full sound like the D7000s. I currently also enjoy Sennheiser IE8 & HD-25 and more recently a pair of UM Merlins. They need to be driven by an iPod/ALO The National combo or an iBasso DX90.

All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance  
dt880smile.png

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Don't sell them. Keep your Denon's. I kept my D2000 regardless of what came and went. The Denon's to me are still the best pair of headphones for watching movies and TV shows. You'll most probably end up missing them when they are gone.

LOL if maybe you were near Toronto, I'd consider them…but still, I'd keep them.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Keep them.  Soon to be rare as hens teeth and quality unmatched by most.  Could sell it for around $800 if you wanted by the way.

Problem is they will always leak some sound.  It's the design.

Recable - the Q French Silk is a great cable (4' long) I put on my D7000 and TH900.

If you want to add to your collection tell us what your budget is.  I can suggest Denon D600 (new model of their venerable D2000 that does not leak), Ultrasone Pro900, M-Audio Q40 or HDH50 (just got this new one last night, love it). 

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Nice re-cable @Oregonian. Did I see that on one of the BTG threads? If so that would be a great way to go. Brian did an awesome job of the starlight CIEM cable for my Merlins. I had been looking at Forza Audioworks which would avoid the tax costs of getting something back from the USA. 

I'd be shot if I add another pair of headphones to the collection! I wanted the D7000s for a long time so it does seem crazy to sell them. Did the re-cable affect the sound at all?

Oh, and that vintage receiver is just fantastic 

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Nice re-cable @Oregonian
. Did I see that on one of the BTG threads? If so that would be a great way to go. Brian did an awesome job of the starlight CIEM cable for my Merlins. I had been looking at Forza Audioworks which would avoid the tax costs of getting something back from the USA. 

I'd be shot if I add another pair of headphones to the collection! I wanted the D7000s for a long time so it does seem crazy to sell them. Did the re-cable affect the sound at all?

Oh, and that vintage receiver is just fantastic 

Love my vintage amps. Have seven of them. :D

No sound change that I noticed, either way. Just so much better ergonomics and it's so light like it's not there.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 8
A retermination of the cable would also be a fine idea.  Cut it as short as you want and add a Switchcraft 35HD 3.5mm plug, then add a 3.5mm jack to the remaining cable to use as an extension if you want.  You can do it yourself or have someone do it for you.
If you feel up to getting it done yourself, there are guides here on how to and videos on youtube to teach you to solder.  Practice on some cheap, random cable or old cheap headphone then you work on your D7k.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 8
  A retermination of the cable would also be a fine idea.  Cut it as short as you want and add a Switchcraft 35HD 3.5mm plug, then add a 3.5mm jack to the remaining cable to use as an extension if you want.  You can do it yourself or have someone do it for you.
If you feel up to getting it done yourself, there are guides here on how to and videos on youtube to teach you to solder.  Practice on some cheap, random cable or old cheap headphone then you work on your D7k.

This!  I would probably have someone reterminate the cable for me if I knew this was a one time thing, just because the D7000 is so expensive haha

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 8
I had thought about doing it myself. I looked at a couple of guides for re terminating the d7000 cable but honestly I've never soldered before and with not the steadiest of hands I don't think I'll risk it (although I'm having to ignore the voice in my head telling me to man-up and do it lol)

Those Q French Silk cables look a lot more easy to get on with then the stock Denons. 

Thanks guys 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back