D7000 vs LCD-2 R1?
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
      ​
(I barely like them over the RS2, and by barely, I just put them on the other day and had to tell myself I didn't like them a little better for the sake of my credibility)​

This is what my head looks like.  :wink: 

Ok I'm just going to say it, I'm bored of the neutrality that the LCD-2 offers and I always have been. This is the second time I've owned them, I've had this pair for longer than I've had the first and the mids, although superior to almost every other can I've heard, the sound signature is not my thing. That is not to say that this is a bad headphone. The comfort goes from crap to awesome as soon as the pads have flattened, I have a sturdy neck from the weightlifting, so the 50lbs of planar magnetic headphone is unfelt, and the build quality is quite good to the point where it doesn't suck.

So the more I think about it, why wouldn't I like the D7000?

1. It's a prestigious can, so people will still take me seriously when I give solid advice on high end cans that would otherwise not be taken into consideration (you have to admit, a lot of people post about gear they will never hear)
  2. It's got wonderfully blooming bass that extends deep, without the boomyness or distraction of the earlier models
  3. It sounds akin to an open air headphone because of the size and porosity of the wood cups
  4. It's just a damn beautiful can
  5. Lawton Audio exists.
  6. I've confirmed it sounds amazing with a copper or silver recable, but the stock cable is of very high quality compared to the D2000
  7. I'm pretty sure I could just straight trade for D7000's without spending a dollar if I send my nudes with the headphone I'm trading

The only D7000 I heard was like 5 months ago when a gentleman mailed his in along with his cable order, and to be honest I had a really solid 5 hour listening session with it. I had the HE-500 at the time which was super awesome with the Schiit Lyr, but I don't think I really tried to evaluate it at all and I sort of forgot what it sounded like after I took it off. It also doesn't help that one of my hobbies is scotch whisky and I'm prone to fits of short term memory loss a couple times a week :D

Sooo aside from my usual morning hangover rambling, how much of what I'm saying do you guys with more experience actually agree with? I know the LCD-2 is a lot of people's favorite headphone in the world and something the rest of you guys wish you could have, so it might have hit a soft spot to hear that I'm not exactly 100% thrilled with it, but what else would you guys recommend? I was on an Ultrasone Edition 8 curiosity kick for a while, but I probably will never lay my hands on one for the money I'd be getting from a Rev 1 LCD-2.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Have you tried the LCD-2 Rev 2?

Yeah that was the first one I had. People strongly exaggerate the differences between the two. When I was looking for a new one to buy, I literally didn't care if it was R1 or R2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back