DAC/AMP (pre-amp? tubes?) for Grado HF-1 advice please.
Mar 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dan1son

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm going to use the great amount of knowledge and experience of head-fi to help me pick out a new amp/dac primarily for my HF-1s, secondarily for my ER-4Ps.  :)

I'm currently using a total bithead which I find a bit bright with the HF-1 and Ety ER-4S.  My fubar and mintish amp are at work used with my HF2s which I will likely keep the way it is as I find they work great together. 

I'm very interested in finding something with a tube headphone output circuit since I've never tried one before.  It'd also be handy if the DAC section (or tube section if it does) had a line-level out to plug into my speaker amp.  So basically a tube amp/dac with pre-amp.  Probably a bit much to ask for... but who knows. 

Price point <$300. 

Anyone know of anything that fits the bill?  Or know of something solid state in the price range that sounds great with the HF-1s? 

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

Anyone know of anything that fits the bill?  Or know of something solid state in the price range that sounds great with the HF-1s? 

I demoed the RS-1's with the HA-160, and it does preserve all the details on music, there's no lack on bass. 

IMO the sound was very balanced. 

You can also check this review, with grado GS-1000. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Interesting though, but definitely out of my price range.  I was hoping to find something in the <$200 point.  I've seen a couple of interesting bits like the Maverick Audio dac/amp on ebay, Xiang Pheng stuff, little dot has a couple of interesting devices etc.  Just not finding something quite with everything I wanted :)  Perhaps I'm too picky. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back