• Matrix mini i 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sma0815

Head-Fier
Hello headfiers,

I'm looking to upgrade my DAC.
Currently I'm using my ifi idsd micro signature, but I'm looking to an upgrade (around 1000€).

I already searched a lot, but maybe you have some good advice. Preference: warmer sounding and specially good (sub) bass, I like the xbass function on the ifi products.

Music: electronics, hip hop, indie rock

Headgear: HE6 4screw modded, meze empyrean, hifiman he1000se, audeze lcd-r

Amp: Auralic Taurus mk II

On my dac watch list:
RME ADI 2
denafrips aries II
Ifi pro idsd
SMSL VMV D1se

If you have any other advice, let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Sma0815

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 10
Do you have a separate amp already? Or, do you need an all in one unit?

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Think you'd dig that Ares, bud. Could also jump up a price bracket and go with a Holo Spring. Don't need the upgrades, really. That iFi is a great amp on its own, so it'll be tough jumping up instead of laterally.

Excited to see what you decide!

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Hello headfiers,

I'm looking to upgrade my DAC.
Currently I'm using my ifi idsd micro signature, but I'm looking to an upgrade (around 1000€).

I already searched a lot, but maybe you have some good advice. Preference: warmer sounding and specially good (sub) bass, I like the xbass function on the ifi products.

Music: electronics, hip hop, indie rock

Headgear: HE6 4screw modded, meze empyrean, hifiman he1000se, audeze lcd-r

Amp: Auralic Taurus mk II

On my dac watch list:
RME ADI 2
denafrips aries II
Ifi pro idsd
SMSL VMV D1se

If you have any other advice, let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Sma0815
If you want a warmer DAC I’d go for bifrost 2 or denafrips ares ii.

SMSL, RME, and Topping all measure very well and are neutral, detailed and transparent.

If you compare the SINAD of the SMSL you have to the Ares you'll notice the ares ii measures worse. But almost everyone that’s heard one will tell you it sounds warm and quite pleasant.

A lot of Multibit R2R DACs measure worse than Delta Sigma DACs like the RME or SMSL. However if you want warm sound that is typically a characteristic of a R2R DAC or one that measures a little worse.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 10
if you're able to find one in EU, i would highly recommend a bifrost 2!
Agreed, if it’s significantly more expensive than the Ares II is not a bad alternative but I do prefer the Bifrost 2 MB and the Gungnir MB (Gumby) over Denafrips.

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Have a Khadas Tone Board that measures very good and a Schiit Yggdrasil that measures very bad and not because I paid 23X as much for the Yggdrasil that I think it sounds better it just sounds better. I don’t listen to tones I listen to music which yes has those tones but also overtones and distortion as just about every sound you hear in the “ Real World “ has distortion in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back