Dac / Dap / Amp / Av receiver... I am very confused
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cowboy14

New Head-Fier
I am a website developer and i works from home. Everyday i seat at least for 10 hours and all those hours i listen to music.

And so i want a better experience. I researched a bit and now i am confused as hell... There is tons of things like sources, dac, dap, decoder, av receiver, amp etc etc...

I cant decide, if only a dap ( iBasso DX160 2020) and a good speakers should be enough or i need amp dac too?

Or i should go with a sony home theater??

Or i have Focusrite 2i2 Sound card already and only a studio monitor can give me a good output? Please suggest me.

This is my room shape , if this is an important factor...
Screenshot_20210123-154206.jpg

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 15
A DAP is a digital audio player. It’s like an iPod. You use it mostly for portability. If you listen through your computer you won’t need one, just get some active speakers as stated above. Genelecs and Adams are very good but very expensive.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Are you looking to power headphones, speakers, or both? Regardless, you’ll need a digital to analog converter (dac) to convert your computers digital signal into analog which will then go to your amplifier via rca cables (could be headphone amp or speaker amp).

I would not get a Sony home theater receiver for a two channel speaker setup. There are so many other good options out there. NAD d3020 for example sounds great and has a dac/speaker amp/ and headphone amp in one unit. The headphone amp is more of a bonus - it sounds really good but not the best.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 15
Are you looking to power headphones, speakers, or both? Regardless, you’ll need a digital to analog converter (dac) to convert your computers digital signal into analog which will then go to your amplifier via rca cables (could be headphone amp or speaker amp).

I would not get a Sony home theater receiver for a two channel speaker setup. There are so many other good options out there. NAD d3020 for example sounds great and has a dac/speaker amp/ and headphone amp in one unit. The headphone amp is more of a bonus - it sounds really good but not the best.
Thanks a lot bro f or your reply, i will check that.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 15
The 2i2 is a
ADC: Analog to Digital converter, you can use it to record
DAC: Digital to Analog converter as you can use it as a USB DAC
It has a headphone out and a line out.
It is a pre-amp as well.

From the line out you can go to
power-amp with passive speakers
Active speakers (speakers with build-in active crossover and power amps like the aforementioned Genelec etc.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 15
@Roseval @Fulci So sound card is enough and no need dac / amp between my computer and speaker , right ??

Thanks a a lot for your reply .

Yes - sorry I missed that. You can use the 2i2 as your dac and run it to powered speakers. Or if you bought unpowered speakers you would run it to the amp then the amp to your speakers.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 15
I am a website developer and i works from home. Everyday i seat at least for 10 hours and all those hours i listen to music.
And so i want a better experience. I researched a bit and now i am confused as hell... There is tons of things like sources, dac, dap, decoder, av receiver, amp etc etc...
I cant decide, if only a dap ( iBasso DX160 2020) and a good speakers should be enough or i need amp dac too?
Or I should go with a sony home theater??
i have Focusrite 2i2 Sound card already and only a studio monitor can give me a good output? Please suggest me.
This is my room shape , if this is an important factor...
It would help to know your budget?
Me, I would go for a pair of JBL LSR306 studio monitors (self powered speakers.
if you big on bass, add a subwoofer.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Check out the Samson Resolv SE6 studio monitors, I know little about them, but it's what I would be checking out, for your situation.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 15
You can use the soundcard as source, it has a dac inside. You will need an amplifier and speakers or active speakers which are speakers with amps inside. Studio monitors are active speakers and will work fine connected to the focusrite. The model depends on your budget. It goes from Edifier or Mackies to ATC, Genelecs or Focal for example. Look around Thomann or other instrument stores.
You can also get some passive speakers and an amp.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 15
You can use the soundcard as source, it has a dac inside. You will need an amplifier and speakers or active speakers which are speakers with amps inside. Studio monitors are active speakers and will work fine connected to the focusrite. The model depends on your budget. It goes from Edifier or Mackies to ATC, Genelecs or Focal for example. Look around Thomann or other instrument stores.
You can also get some passive speakers and an amp.
Thanks brother its clear now.. 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back