DAC power always on?
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JerseyD

1000+ Head-Fier
Have read numerous posts instructing that R2R dacs should remain powered on at all times (even when not in use) to assure they sound their best. Does the same hold true for delta-sigma dacs? If not, would any harm be done if it were left on all the time? Thank you.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 13
When I had a chip dac, I left it on all the time without issue.

I still leave everything on except for my amp... DDC, DAC, Lokius, always on.

When the ambient temperature is high and I'm not going to use them for any extended period of time, I'll shut everything off.

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 13
Have read numerous posts instructing that R2R dacs should remain powered on at all times (even when not in use) to assure they sound their best. Does the same hold true for delta-sigma dacs? If not, would any harm be done if it were left on all the time? Thank you.
Can you share where I can find that a "R2R dac should remain powered on at all times"? Thanks.

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 13
@JerseyD. Some R2R DACs need 30 minutes to achieve optimal sound. If you have discrete ladder version (most common now), then it is sufficient time to warm it up. There is no need for keeping device 'on' all the time if you use it regularly every day.

The other things is an initial burning-in period. Two weeks is needed for relaxing soldering joint tensions of resistors after a high-temperature shock during production. It could be also that our brain needs a time to remove false templates, as R2R sound is more natural. It is why is advisable listen to various types of music during this time even for 15 minutes. These is a moment when sound is opening and we really do enjoy music.

In the mid price bracket starting from $1k there is a longer burning-in period as DACs come with so called fem-to second (or ultra low noise) oscilators. These devices require longer period for full stabilisation (>500 hours), but after such period you can switch it off overnight with no negative effect.

In general, with more transparent system, our ears start to recognise more nuisances and then we become audiophiles, turning more our attention to SQ.
:)

Jun 28, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Can you share where I can find that a "R2R dac should remain powered on at all times"? Thanks.
Without extensive searching of the various r2r threads (Audio-GD, Border Patrol, Mojo, MHDT, Merason) I cannot recall specifically.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Have read numerous posts instructing that R2R dacs should remain powered on at all times (even when not in use) to assure they sound their best.
R2R is a relatively ancient design that was superseded in the late 1980’s. It was superseded because it inherently has higher distortion/lower fidelity and is more sensitive to thermal variations (and is more expensive). So depending on the exact design, an R2R DAC may require some amount of time to warm-up and perform optimally, therefore leaving it switched on *may* be beneficial in some cases.
Does the same hold true for delta-sigma dacs?
Delta-sigma is more stable. You should get optimal performance as soon as you switch it on.

G

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 13
R2R is a relatively ancient design that was superseded in the late 1980’s. It was superseded because it inherently has higher distortion/lower fidelity and is more sensitive to thermal variations (and is more expensive). So depending on the exact design, an R2R DAC may require some amount of time to warm-up and perform optimally, therefore leaving it switched on *may* be beneficial in some cases.
The only thing that matters in this subject is a longer warm-up. All other are presented in the form of spamming with scientology loaded propaganda.

R2R technology was first, now is back with discrete ladders. I am glad that I can still enjoy music after my PCM-63 CD player died. Tried i.e. Topping D30 which had the best measurements that time.

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 13
The only thing that matters in this subject is a longer warm-up.
Actually it was about leaving the DAC switched on.
All other are presented in the form of spamming with scientology loaded propaganda.
Then why did you present a load of religious propaganda/spam about burn-in?

G

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Actually it was about leaving the DAC switched on.
I think the answer about "longer warm-up" was a legitimate response to my initial question about always leaving it on - as in, "No, you don't need to leave it on, but you do need a 30-minute warm-up."

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 13
Yes if solid state, no if tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back