DAC rec under $500
Apr 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
Building a second system and looking for a dedicated DAC with SE output feeding into a speaker system. Doesn't need anything fancy at all.

Any recommendations?

Looking at:

Bifrost 4490
NAD D 1050
Musical Fidelity V-90
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

Would like a flat neutral sound

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 9
You cant go wrong with a Bifrost at that price range.

...and it's upgradeable if you ever want to do multibit or anything else Schiit has for it in the future.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Another option would be Zdac/Zdac v2. some people on this forum have preferred it even over Bifrost multibit. You can find it used for $300+. They are renowned for rich, analog-like, easy to listen to sound. Winners over much more expensive DACs. In addition it has balanced output and an amp (which is so-so, depending what headphones you have).

I have one for not so long, and it seems to match what reviews say. Will compare it to Modi and DX100 at some point, if I'll ever have time for that...

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 9
  Another option would be Zdac/Zdac v2. some people on this forum have preferred it even over Bifrost multibit. You can find it used for $300+. They are renowned for rich, analog-like, easy to listen to sound. Winners over much more expensive DACs. In addition it has balanced output and an amp (which is so-so, depending what headphones you have).

I have one for not so long, and it seems to match what reviews say. Will compare it to Modi and DX100 at some point, if I'll ever have time for that...

You cant go wrong with a Bifrost at that price range.

...and it's upgradeable if you ever want to do multibit or anything else Schiit has for it in the future.

Ordered both of those (Zdac v2, Bifrost 4490) and going to compare them this week!

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Good for you. Make sure to leave both DACs powered up continuously, and let em cook for a few days with music running through them before you do any serious comparisons.

I just noticed you own a Gungnir, so you already know this....

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Good for you. Make sure to leave both DACs powered up continuously, and let em cook for a few days with music running through them before you do any serious comparisons.

I just noticed you own a Gungnir, so you already know this....

Haha yeah the Gungnir MB is quite wonderful :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back