DAC recommendations for MKii + HD650?
Dec 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KukoCL

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I want to upgrade my current DAC (PCi-Express soundcard Creative SoundBlaster RX) to something more dedicated to audio quality, because this $70usd card points to other things also, like gaming, 5.1 audio and low latency recording. So i want a better DAC just for pure sound quality and not features.

I'm using a Little dot MKii with Mullard CV4010 tubes, and a pair of HD6XX (HD650) Headphones.

I do like a warm signature, since a listen to a lot of music genres and also use this setup for movies and games.
I was thinking on the Schiit Modi 3 or the Mimby, but maybe those warm DACs with my current setup would be a bit warmth overkill ?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 15
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 15
I think the Bifrost Multibit and Little Dot MkII would be a lovely pairing. I had the Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit a year or so ago, I also had the HD650's, it was a nice pairing. :thumbsup:

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 15
I think the Bifrost Multibit and Little Dot MkII would be a lovely pairing. I had the Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit a year or so ago, I also had the HD650's, it was a nice pairing. :thumbsup:
I'v seen in the Schiit website the Bifrost Multibit and the Modi 2 Multibit uses the same AD5547 Dac.
Is the feature to put modular upgrades the only difference?.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 15
I'v seen in the Schiit website the Bifrost Multibit and the Modi 2 Multibit uses the same AD5547 Dac.
Is the feature to put modular upgrades the only difference?.

There is a lot more to a DAC than just the chip inside. it's what you do with the chip that matters, the architecture you build around it. Which is why the Bifrost is more expensive than the Modi.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 15
Hi. I want to upgrade my current DAC (PCi-Express soundcard Creative SoundBlaster RX) to something more dedicated to audio quality, because this $70usd card points to other things also, like gaming, 5.1 audio and low latency recording. So i want a better DAC just for pure sound quality and not features.

I'm using a Little dot MKii with Mullard CV4010 tubes, and a pair of HD6XX (HD650) Headphones.

I do like a warm signature, since a listen to a lot of music genres and also use this setup for movies and games.
I was thinking on the Schiit Modi 3 or the Mimby, but maybe those warm DACs with my current setup would be a bit warmth overkill ?

I wouldn't really call the Modi "warm" unless it's being compared to something that sounds like a tin can.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Lol xD. The modi 3 or the modi 2 multibit?

Haven't heard the Modi3 but I wouldn't really bet on it making Norah Jones sound like her whole sinus is blocked. And I've only gotten that problem out of one Rega CDP. I've tried tube output stage Cayin CDPs and they were not deliberately made to give Norah Jones sinusities.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Isn't the audio already colored by my sound card when sending it through the optical?
Windows has a setting in the Sound > Playback tab, so optical signal going out of the sound card, bypasses the sound card functions.
Or leave sound card's optical functions to enabled and use the sound card's headphone surround sound feature.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 15
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back