DAC with USB in / XLR out?
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spork67

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers.
I'm in the process of upgrading some gear, and my new amp (Stax SRM-006ta, modded by Mjolnir audio) will have XLR inputs.
My source is PC.
Currently PC is connected to a little Grace m9xx DAC, and I have been happy enough with this.
I don't hear any hum or buzz or other interference, at least not at my usual listening levels.
But - Birgir hinted that there may be a benefit to using XLR input to amp as it provides a higher input voltage, resulting in a little more power.

So - without spending stupid $$$ (I'd like to keep it below ~ $400USD), what are my options for a decent DAC, with USB in and XLR out?
Happy for it to be a stand-alone DAC (no inbuilt amp) as I don't have any non-electrostatic HP's.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 4
But - Birgir hinted that there may be a benefit to using XLR input to amp as it provides a higher input voltage, resulting in a little more power.
It's not XLR that provides "higher input voltage" but rather balanced audio. Doesn't matter whether the connector is XLR or TRS or something else :)

Unless the amp is not very well designed, increasing the level available at the input will probably at most improve the SNR. If that's what you mean by "more power" (I guess you could perceive it that way), by all means go for it.

If your main consideration is balanced output, you may want to take a look at pro audio gear (interfaces) - there's a lot of great sounding gear out there up to $400.

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 4
The added power from a balanced DAC is nice for planar magnetic headphones, mainly to stay in low/med gain on those for less distortion. If you don't need it I'd hold off, but the SMSL M300SE I have is $119 and has XLR out and a mild amp which can power up to a pair of Hifiman he5xx on the balanced 4.4mm plug, but nothing more demanding than that. Nice for IEMs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back