DACport LX or ODAC (or UD100 / HifiMeDiy Sabre DAC / similar)?
Jul 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

VanellopeVS

New Head-Fier
Hey, guys! This is my first post, although I have been a longtime lurker of this forum and as well as other audio / hi-fi sites. I rarely find a need to post my questions online since the existing literature (reviews and discussions) has usually proven sufficient in helping me make informed purchases. In this case, however, I've found myself stumped even after substantial research.

I will be putting together a portable amp + DAC stack for my laptop later this year. I'd prefer separate amp and DAC units for the potential to mix and match components down the road. The idea of having a transparent source and leaving coloration to the headphones and amp makes sense to me. From what I’ve read, it seems like the CEntrance DACport LX and or an ES9023-based DAC like Voldemort’s (I still find this epithet hilarious) ODAC would be the best choice for transparency.

It generally seems that they all sound quite similar – clear, detailed, neutral and transparent. However, the (more expensive) DACport LX seems to be the popular favorite, with many citing its “natural” sound and ability to avoid “digititis” as the ace up its sleeve. It is said to sound unlike most other USB DACs, which are “brittle and lightweight”.

While the LX is virtually universally praised, the ODAC in particular seems to be a controversial and polarizing unit. (I wonder why?) There are many conflicting opinions on the unit (detailed below) -- some say it is lacking in dynamics and has a digital sheen, and others say it sounds smooth and natural.

I’ve thus been unable to come to a solid consensus as to how different these DACs really sound, and in which particular sonic aspects they differ. I’d be grateful if someone could share a more definitive or clearer assessment.

In the meantime, I’ve pasted below a list of links to noteworthy impressions that I compiled to help me in my choice, in case others are interested in these DACs.

CEntrance DACport LX ($250)
  1. wushuliu rates it above the Music Streamer II+ and VDAC MK2, based on qualities such as avoidance of top-end tizziness and "digititis". (10/13/11)
  2. Voldemort himself admits that it is at least on par with the ODAC ("both are transparent DACs"). 
  3. wushuliu says that LX is the only USB DAC he has tried that did not sound "brittle and lightweight". (6/29/12)
  4. zilch0md rates it above the ODAC and DB2 in his comparison. (9/3/12)
  5. zilch0md again rates it above the ODAC and also the UD100, on the grounds that the latter two are thinner ("less dynamics, swing, punch, slam, aggressiveness") and brighter ("more treble energy"). (1/31/13)
  6. madriz calls it “quite an improvement" over the UD100, but unfortunately does not elaborate further. (2/16/13)
  7. It has been known to run hot, to the point that zilch0md (and perhaps others) have taken to using an aftermarket heatsink. (link)
Voldemort ODAC ($100+)
  1. average_joe's portable amp comparison praises it quite highly, giving it high marks in clarity, resolution, transparency and imaging, and contradicting “digititis” notions by saying it has excellent dynamics and smoothness (scores of 9.5 and 9.0 respectively). He calls the performance "exceptional for the price"; and says that while it is less "resolving, spacious, clear and concise" than the Anedio D1 DAC, it "comes closer than anticipated". (link)
  2. rmj's review praised the ODAC's clean sound and low noise floor but criticized it for being flat (dynamically and spatially) and synthetic. (6/23/12)
  3. zilch0md's comment on the above review agrees on the ODAC's digititis and ranks it behind the DB2 and the LX.
  4. zilch0md ranked it behind the DACport LX, but this time ahead of the DB2 in his comparison. He said that it was overall similar in sound signature to the LX, and that he could tell them apart mainly because of the screeching fits the ODAC threw during complex passages. (9/3/12)
  5. Some users have attempted to remedy this issue using an external power supply. (page 2 of above comparison)
Stoner Acoustics UD100 / HifiMeDiy Sabre DAC ($40+)
  1. These were both implied to sound similar to ODAC, at even lower prices and smaller footprints.
  2. ClieOS said that the UD100 was difficult to distinguish from an ODAC in his review. (9/9/12)
  3. In the comments section, he also clarified that the UD100 and HifiMeDiy DAC were not the same product, and that the latter was closer to ODAC, at least in design.
  4. zilch0md agreed that the UD100 sounded similar to the ODAC, with the added benefit of eliminating the screeching problems. (1/31/13)
  5. The UD100 only accepts 16/48, while the HifiMeDiy DAC accepts 24/96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back