Dali Headphones
Nov 8, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #286 of 1,056
Are they shutting down, while you are playing? Is it 10 minutes after, you turn them on? Then it could be that it for some reason thinks it's not receiving any signal and shuts down.

I just had this as well - was using them as a conference headset on my W10 laptop in a conf call, with ANC off, the audio device is listed as "DALI IO-6 Hands-Free AG Audio"

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #287 of 1,056
I’m like you, every headphone I get is in the hope of matching my p7w but to my ears at least they fall short. It does sound at least that you are considering the Dalis a genuine challenger although I must say I had the m60’s and returned them very quickly so with you not being sure on first listen if the Dalis better the masters that’s a worry, I must admit I am still on the fence. If they had a full rich sound like the p7w then it would be a no brainer for me, I look forward to your final thoughts
I'll need some days. Anyway, consider 1) that the Mw65 are supposed to be different from the mw60, with more clarity, more controlled bass and better separation. I'm sure the Dalis sound better, but size and other things also count 2) I wouldn't want to confuse you. P7w has more punch and roars stronger (however next to the Dalis can sound uncontrolled). If i'm delighted for the moment with the Dalis, is "against my principles", accepting and enjoying a different tuning, to my ears a more impressive one in terms of clarity, soundstage and that strange thing called "musicality". Yesterday i had a lot of work but when i began with them i just couldn't stop trying new songs. My advice was to express that considering myself a shy basshead (I definitely prefer a well controlled bass emphasis with strong subbass) i find the Dalis more solid than expected (specially after reading some users considering them too light in that department). I'd prefer a little bit more of it, but "it's there", it moves air, it's dynamic and the rest of the sound, expansive and precise, compensates it for me.
Anyway I deeply recommend you to try them before discarding or buying them, it's a very personal thing.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #288 of 1,056
Anyway I deeply recommend you to try them before discarding or buying them, it's a very personal thing.

And if your supplier allows a trial/grace period, then certainly take advantage of that .. (Hifi-Klubben NL offers 6 weeks, so I am using that to the fullest .. including properly burning them in with pink brown and white noise ..)

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #289 of 1,056
By the way .. did anyone notice how these cans show almost no sound leakage? The PX7 in comparison are like a sieve, even worse than the original PX .. And I believe the MW65 also do leak quite a lot ...

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #290 of 1,056
By the way .. did anyone notice how these cans show almost no sound leakage? The PX7 in comparison are like a sieve, even worse than the original PX .. And I believe the MW65 also do leak quite a lot ...
Yes. Sitting next to my wife who was trying them listen to the Rite of Spring and heard just the faintest sound. And, only at the louder sections in a completely silent room. Very happy about that. Conversely, although they don't have ANC, they do block out a reasonable amount of external sounds just by virtue of the way they fit and the material.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #291 of 1,056
And if your supplier allows a trial/grace period, then certainly take advantage of that .. (Hifi-Klubben NL offers 6 weeks, so I am using that to the fullest .. including properly burning them in with pink brown and white noise ..)

Hmm. I'm also in NL. Can you return and get your money back after 6 weeks or do you get a voucher towards something else? Cheers, Alastair

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #292 of 1,056
Not so easy in the UK with the few suppliers that sell them, Richer Sounds for example one of the larger dealers will not allow you to try headphones and return them “for hygiene reasons” pretty pathetic really. Your 6 week trial sounds fantastic wish we had that option over here I’d jump at it

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #293 of 1,056
Nov 8, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #294 of 1,056

Yes, and it's a huge plus for me.
They have the smallest sound leakage of all I've recently tested and I had Sony XM3, Momentum 3, Jabra 85H, PX7, MW65.

The only negative is comfort. Headband puts pressure on top of my head and unfortunately most headphones cause it.

In addition, IO6 meets all my requirements. They fit into the backpack with the pouch, have good battery life, and a small sound leakage

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #295 of 1,056
Not so easy in the UK with the few suppliers that sell them, Richer Sounds for example one of the larger dealers will not allow you to try headphones and return them “for hygiene reasons” pretty pathetic really. Your 6 week trial sounds fantastic wish we had that option over here I’d jump at it

Does Amazon uk sell it?
Almost all the cans i've tried these months were used under amazon return conditions...

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #296 of 1,056
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #297 of 1,056
They have the smallest sound leakage of all I've recently tested and I had Sony XM3, Momentum 3, Jabra 85H, PX7, MW65.

I rather have cans with great PNC .. because that means that ANC can be less aggressive .. and therefore have as little impact on the internal audio reproduction as possible ..

Having said that .. I also prefer cans to be light and sleek .. Unfortunately that usually is mutually exclusive .. I think DALI struck a nice balance with the IO's .. They're not exactly sleek, but all and all quite acceptable ..

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #298 of 1,056

The only negative is comfort. Headband puts pressure on top of my head and unfortunately most headphones cause it.

In addition, IO6 meets all my requirements. They fit into the backpack with the pouch, have good battery life, and a small sound leakage

I don't understand how people are finding these uncomfortable. I've had them on for 3,4 hours sometimes and forget I got headphones on. But some people seem to be having this issue for whatever reason.

The sound leakage, even with and extra few db's on with eq fx Pro they are pretty silent on the leakage. Fantastic.

Also, not sure how many hours in I am but they get alot better over time, especially the low end.

I've noticed production value is a thing with these which is unusual for dalis. Ikons, zensors and Oberon are all forgiving on this point which is why I kept the Oberon even though I have some ATC 7s now because they are not forgiving on production/mastering side. Still, not bad with lower production but noticeable.

88khz/24 bit/44. 1khz really makes a difference too but don't have too much that high quality

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #299 of 1,056
I would love to hear Kate Bush or Tori Amos with these headphones, hopefully the clarity of those unique voices will shine and I’m pretty sure the smooth jazz rock of my favourite Steely Dan album Aja would sound delicious. I do listen to a lot of classic 70’s and 80’s rock and 80s pop also but I’m sure there will be enough bass for my tastes, I’m not really into modern bassy music but do like to let my hair down with a bit of metal from the likes of Iron Maiden

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #300 of 1,056
I don't understand how people are finding these uncomfortable. I've had them on for 3,4 hours sometimes and forget I got headphones on. But some people seem to be having this issue for whatever reason.

Unfortunately human heads come in an infinite number of shapes and human skin comes with any kind of different sensitivity .. I actually have a few spots on my head where I can't bear a headphone band for more than 30 mins and I have a few spots where it can stay for hours in a row .. And I also noticed that my old PX triggered other areas than the PX7 or the DALI .. So it's all about trial and error I guess .. and a bit of luck :)

I've noticed production value is a thing with these which is unusual for dalis. Ikons, zensors and Oberon are all forgiving on this point which is why I kept the Oberon even though I have some ATC 7s now because they are not forgiving on production/mastering side. Still, not bad with lower production but noticeable.

88khz/24 bit/44. 1khz really makes a difference too but don't have too much that high quality

I also noticed that. It probably is because of their relative neutral character and great(er) level of detail and clarity .. As a result they can be a tad more unforgiving than others ...
Cans with for instance some bass emphasis sometimes have a way of hiding sound artifacts, noise, distortion etc .. Ironically it can be an asset, contributing to what some people tend to call the fun factor in headphones. The original Bowers P7 Wireless were a bit like that, but that also made them fun on-the-go cans for mobile use and travel ...

And to be really really honest .. Even with my preference for more realistic and neutral sound characteristics .. There are times that I love to play Gino Vanelli's Powerful People on my Ether's for their insight and there are times that I prefer to play that same song on my Powers P9 to give it more punch ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back