Damaged my headphones playing at maximum?
Sep 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JudgmentZefhyr

New Head-Fier
I accidentally left my Sennheiser HD555 playing at an absurdly loud volume for about 10 minutes. By loud, I mean, it was hooked up to a Little Dot MK IV SE Amp with the knob turned to the max...computer volume turned to the max...and winamp's volume turned to the max. I could hear the volume beating from the headphones from all the way outside the house...and the room with the headphones was totally closed off too.

Would I have done any damage to it?

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm, 10 minutes?  It's possible, have you noticed any change in the sound quality?

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Wow..thats a lot of volume. Probably the drivers were affected in some way. 

Be more careful..

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
you did that accidentally?

If you dont hear any new static or ratteling then you're probably good.  Grado's would be long gone so you got lucky.

Tell me about it -- I have to send my RS2's back to replace a blown driver.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 10
There's no static or rattling...the only difference I can see is that the sound seems...sharper. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but it seems the treble got higher and the bass appears to be "heavier". Can playing at that volume do that or is this just me imagining things?

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 10
In the past I've been convinced that after playing video games on my nice headphones they didn't sound right. Using other headphones for a day or so fixed the "problem." Could just be in your head. However, if you really blasted the daylights out of them there could be some damage i'd guess, but I'm not an expert. My guess is that if you don't use them for a bit and they still sound off there's something wrong.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I dont think that model has a particularly stiff driver or big need to be broken in but if so, you may have just loosed up a stiff driver.  Some may complain that your hp's are now colored but if you like the new sound then it's win-win.  If you've done real damage, I think you'd know it by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back