Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,816 of 1,887
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #1,817 of 1,887
What would be another headphone in open-back that would complement E3 well?

Either that, or I'd start saving up for Immanis setup for now since I believe the next headphones have to be a big step up from these sound wise.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,818 of 1,887

Either that, or I'd start saving up for Immanis setup for now since I believe the next headphones have to be a big step up from these sound wise.
Caldera?

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #1,819 of 1,887

Nutopia, Caldera, Diana MR, Susvara. Depends on what you listen to.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #1,820 of 1,887
I went with HD800s. E3 for closed back, perfectly flat, mixing studio monitor-level clarity and accuracy. And the HD800s for less than perfectly flat, but the most open, wide, fun sound there is. I'd say "immersive" but that implies immersion, which closed backs do well. The HS800s are more "transportive", as in I feel like I'm in a difference space entirely, not in an isolation tank with my imagination.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #1,826 of 1,887
I fell off my chair after my jaw dropped and found cleaning up after myself 🤣

Seriously, the E3 on the CFA3 was god tier. The grip, control and authority the pairing displayed was like watching an intense dance of tango performed vigorously or in short.. it left me speechless and reaching for my wallet 😅

IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg
Then CAF3 + Playback Designs dac is god tier+ :)

The only rig at AXOPNA (including the $100k+ ATH rig) that sounded objective better than my rig was the Warwick Aperio and even then it's a toss up due to the inferior dac in the Aperio. But Aperio headphones and amp combo was beyond god tier and is at a level beyond HE-1 :gs1000smile:

I guess you do get what you pay for ... you just have to pay alot :money_mouth:

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,828 of 1,887
Can anyone suggest an AIO amp/dac to drive these with? I've got limited desk space and would like something compact. Was close to pulling the trigger on the Violectric 226, but decided to keep looking after reading about how the DAC in it may not be so great. Budget under 2k.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,829 of 1,887
All these references lauding E3 for studio mixing is making me (a mere music listener) less hyped about trying a friend's E3 (hopefully in a couple months when I visit during a business trip), LOL.

I "LOL" because when I started in audio (2-channel speaker as a pre-teen, and not too long thereafter joined head-fi looking for earbuds/IEMs) I was all about neutrality as it was pounded into my head by my uncle and his friends (the guys who got me interested in audio). Over my time at head-fi, and growing into my own preferences, I've distinctly moved away from neutrality for *my* music enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back