Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 23, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #436 of 1,945
I wear plastic frames with 1/8" thick temples, which closely hug the contour of my head. I've auditioned the Stealth probably 7-8 times, and never found removing my glasses to affect its sound perceptibly. I'm listening to the E3 as I type, and also don't find wearing (or not) my glasses to make any difference. I will say that the level of bass I perceived in any given Stealth session seemed to vary quite a bit (more than would be expected from different amps, etc.), so perhaps there were other seal issues unrelated to my glasses. I haven't noticed any variance in E3 performance across the frequency spectrum in the time I've owned them (ten days). FWIW.

The E3 has a rather different presentation from Stealth or any other DCA headphone, and features punchy, extended bass that is by no means thin or anemic.
I have been made fun of a bit for this but this is a problem I discovered with any closed back. My solution was to get dedicated headphone glasses. I did this specific for the stealth and use it for these: Gunnar Lightning glasses. It’s prescription glasses with a nylon head wrap. Wife and kids think I’m crazy, but with increase in sound quality I also get a big increase in comfort. No more pressure on my nose and sides.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #437 of 1,945
Could anyone wearing glasses chime in? Stealth sounded thin and anemic to me potentially due to bad seal. Don’t know if E3 is just as sensitive to fit.
Just raiser your glasses above the pads. The glasses still work fine and problem solved. It is what I do with all my phones.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #438 of 1,945
I went out and tried the E3 with a Kann Max and the Fiio R7.

My only other pair of closed back is an Atrium Closed (Olivewood) and I found the E3 to be a very different presentation. I enjoyed the staging and layering I liked the level of detail that I am getting. They do sound like one or the best closed backs out there currently. I do prefer the E3 over the Stealth. I tried the Sony MDR-Z1 that same day and also preferred the E3 over that. From memory, I prefer E3 over Radiance (which is not as detailed and layered) and Stellia (which sounds metallic). That said, I am preferring the AC’s weightier presentation and perhaps that’s just me needing more time to adjust to the E3’s new sound.
IMG_1300.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #439 of 1,945
*duplicate post

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #440 of 1,945

My only other pair of closed back is an Atrium Closed (Olivewood) and I found the E3 to be a very different presentation. I enjoyed the staging and layering I liked the level of detail that I am getting. They do sound like one or the best closed backs out there currently. I do prefer the E3 over the Stealth. I tried the Sony MDR-Z1 that same day and also preferred the E3 over that. From memory, I prefer E3 over Radiance (which is not as detailed and layered) and Stellia (which sounds metallic). That said, I am preferring the AC’s weightier presentation and perhaps that’s just me needing more time to adjust to the E3’s new sound.
IMG_1300.jpeg
Could be the pads need time to mold to your head. Also, are they getting enough power?

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #441 of 1,945
I own Meze Lirics and have tried the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Dan Clark ÆON II Noire, and just recently got the Dan Clark E3 to see if they can convince me to return the Lirics. I tested them all with the JSD Labs Element II Mk. 2 + a MacBook Pro + Apple Music Lossless 24 bit 192kHz tracks. Here are my anecdotal findings, if anyone is interested.

Meze Liric (1st)
The best closed-back headphones in the world under $2,000
  • Pros
    • Extremely "clear" sounding
    • Amazing timbre
    • Best treble I've ever heard without being harsh
    • No mid "bloat"
    • No muddiness, everything is clear and separate
    • Extremely lightweight and comfortable, I can wear for hours
    • Easy to drive, loud even when connected to MacBook Pro directly
  • Cons
    • Upper-mid bass slightly lacking (but a good DAC/AMP will fix this)
    • Comes with bad cables (but that's everyone)
    • Earcups not user-replaceable
Sony MDR-Z1R (tie for 3rd)
The best performing dynamic driver closed back headphones in the world, limited only by their technology
  • Pros
    • Legendary Sony materials and quality
    • Probably the best non-planar headphone I've ever heard
    • Bass and treble both fantastic
  • Cons
    • They look hella goofy when worn on calls (which I am on all day)
    • Just don't provide the separation that a planar can provide
    • Detail is a slight notch below the Liric
    • Simply can't keep up with a planar — and although this is a work of art at this price, it's just not excusable

Dan Clark ÆON II Noire (tie for 3rd)
This isn't the most fair comparison since the other headphones all cost 2-3x more than this, but that's a testament to how good DC headphones are.
  • Pros
    • Love the folding mechanism and portability
    • Easy to drive as well
    • Sounded very intimate and closed (in a good way)
    • Decent sounding headphones, great for the price
  • Cons
    • The resolution and soundstage just isn't there, to be honest
    • Bass was nice and warm
    • Treble detail was missing

Dan Clark E3 (2nd)
After trying the ÆON II, I had no expectations from E3, but was pleasantly surprised. A solid headphone.
  • Pros
    • Love the folding mechanism and (slightly worse than Æ II but still good) portability
    • Beautiful design
    • Good comfort
    • Amazing soundstage
  • Cons
    • Was just 10% shy of the Liric in resolving capability and detail
    • Difficult to drive, relatively
    • Headband auto-adjusting was cool at first, but just got old after the 10th+ time

Needless to say, I will be returning all the headphones except the Meze Liric. The Lirics are clear, well-resolving, fast, and have a crazy extension into both the sub-bass and the upper treble that was unmatched by anything. They're also the smallest and most comfortable "audiophile" headphones I've ever test, no bigger than some mid-grade bluetooth portable headphones and make the Bathys look huge.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #442 of 1,945
Could be the pads need time to mold to your head. Also, are they getting enough power?
The R7 is quite powerful, and so is the Max. The pairing may likely not be the best, the E3 being planar (and I have no idea how the current output of either sources are). But I was looking at the E3 as a portable option only because I’m quite set on my desktop set up already, and the Kann Max is my portable gear of choice atm. So that was going to be my target use case.

BTW personally, I prefer the E3 over the Liric.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #443 of 1,945
Listened the E3 at the dealership for 3 hours today and placed the order right after listening sessions.

Oh boy! These sound good! Very good! But the downside is this thing loves power. A lot of power. As anticipated, my AK kann alpha does not work well on E3 even on high gain. The sound will distort above I will say 80db. Which is another headache for my portable setup. But it still works well on chord mojo. Not as good as Hugo 2, but no distortion, still quite detailed and engaging as a portable setup.

It works perfectly on desktop setup.
For E3 on Hugo 2, It's very good. A noticeable step up from chord mojo.
The sound is even more detailed, slightly edged out Stellia. and the soundstage opens up, almost like an open headphone, which is quite remarkable at this price point.
Compare to Lric at the same price point at the dealer, I won't say E3 blow Lric out of water, but sound better than Lric in almost every way.
Even on Chord Hugo 2, my comfortable listening volume is blue (which is around 85%). I believe Nomax said is true. E3 really needs 1.5W to reach its full potential. Certainly need to hook an portable amp on the dap or source. Fortunately I don't travel recent days so I am ok with my current setup.

After today's listen, E3 will definitely replaced my old Celestee. Still looking for a powerful flagship DAP to replace my kann alpha. It has to give E3 1.5W power and sound as good AK SP3000. I really wish to have just one dap do everything rather than hook portable dap and amp together. (M17 is too huge. I wish it is pocketable like kann max, dx320 with more power)

IMG_1827.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #444 of 1,945
I own Meze Lirics and have tried the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Dan Clark ÆON II Noire, and just recently got the Dan Clark E3 to see if they can convince me to return the Lirics. I tested them all with the JSD Labs Element II Mk. 2 + a MacBook Pro + Apple Music Lossless 24 bit 192kHz tracks. Here are my anecdotal findings, if anyone is interested.

Meze Liric (1st)
  • Pros
    • Amazing timbre
    • No mid "bloat"
  • Cons
The best performing dynamic driver closed back headphones in the world, limited only by their technology
  • Pros
  • Cons
    • Simply can't keep up with a planar — and although this is a work of art at this price, it's just not excusable

This isn't the most fair comparison since the other headphones all cost 2-3x more than this, but that's a testament to how good DC headphones are.
  • Pros
    • Easy to drive as well
  • Cons
    • Bass was nice and warm

Dan Clark E3 (2nd)
After trying the ÆON II, I had no expectations from E3, but was pleasantly surprised. A solid headphone.
  • Pros
    • Love the folding mechanism and (slightly worse than Æ II but still good) portability
    • Beautiful design
    • Good comfort
    • Amazing soundstage
  • Cons
    • Headband auto-adjusting was cool at first, but just got old after the 10th+ time

Needless to say, I will be returning all the headphones except the Meze Liric. The Lirics are clear, well-resolving, fast, and have a crazy extension into both the sub-bass and the upper treble that was unmatched by anything. They're also the smallest and most comfortable "audiophile" headphones I've ever test, no bigger than some mid-grade bluetooth portable headphones and make the Bathys look huge.
How long did you burn in the E3 before you did the shootout? Also, how long have you owned the Liric?

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #445 of 1,945

Meze Liric (1st)
  • Pros
    • Amazing timbre
    • No mid "bloat"
  • Cons
  • Pros
  • Cons

• Pros
    • Easy to drive as well
  • Cons
    • Bass was nice and warm

Dan Clark E3 (2nd)
  • Pros
    • Beautiful design
    • Good comfort
    • Amazing soundstage
  • Cons

The Sonys have such a skewed FR - and you rank them as best in world in dynamics.... = preference for a character tuning vs audiophile tuning then.

Then you have no expectations of E3 given the tech advances over the Aeon 2 generation.... The A2 are know to lack (a main gripe) macrodynamic heft - as they would say on here - from the threads ...and from impressions so far that dynamic heft/kick seems to be nailed on E3 generation.

From external review sites - the E3 edge out Liric on microdetail/imaging and Liric retains the lead in body/musicality.
I just find what you say to be polarised from wider opinions.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #446 of 1,945
Listened the E3 at the dealership for 3 hours today and placed the order right after listening sessions.

Oh boy! These sound good! Very good! But the downside is this thing loves power. A lot of power. As anticipated, my AK kann alpha does not work well on E3 even on high gain. The sound will distort above I will say 80db. Which is another headache for my portable setup. But it still works well on chord mojo. Not as good as Hugo 2, but no distortion, still quite detailed and engaging as a portable setup.

The sound is even more detailed, slightly edged out Stellia. and the soundstage opens up, almost like an open headphone, which is quite remarkable at this price point.
Compare to Lric at the same price point at the dealer, I won't say E3 blow Lric out of water, but sound better than Lric in almost every way.
Even on Chord Hugo 2, my comfortable listening volume is blue (which is around 85%). I believe Nomax said is true. E3 really needs 1.5W to reach its full potential. Certainly need to hook an portable amp on the dap or source. Fortunately I don't travel recent days so I am ok with my current setup.

After today's listen, E3 will definitely replaced my old Celestee. Still looking for a powerful flagship DAP to replace my kann alpha. It has to give E3 1.5W power and sound as good AK SP3000. I really wish to have just one dap do everything rather than hook portable dap and amp together.

You got the Chord2 add-on module there for H2 and also there is the much cheaper xDuoo X10T II transport device option + Hiby for untethered music control. Fantastic DAP alternative. Not pocketable but transportable at least for E3 chain.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #447 of 1,945

After today's listen, E3 will definitely replaced my old Celestee. Still looking for a powerful flagship DAP to replace my kann alpha. It has to give E3 1.5W power and sound as good AK SP3000. I really wish to have just one dap do everything rather than hook portable dap and amp together.

IMG_1827.jpg
If you’re ok with carrying around a brick, the M17 does work very well with the E3 in my experience.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #448 of 1,945

IMG_1300.jpeg
I would say it took me about 3 weeks, ~1-2 hrs a day, demoing many different genre to finally discover how awesome the E3 are. Going back to my LCD-2C now makes me sad, those were my first nirvana headphone, but my brain wants E3 for everything now.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #449 of 1,945
The Sonys have such a skewed FR - and you rank them as best in world in dynamics.... = preference for a character tuning vs audiophile tuning then.

Then you have no expectations of E3 given the tech advances over the Aeon 2 generation.... The A2 are know to lack (a main gripe) macrodynamic heft - as they would say on here - from the threads ...and from impressions so far that dynamic heft/kick seems to be nailed on E3 generation.

From external review sites - the E3 edge out Liric on microdetail/imaging and Liric retains the lead in body/musicality.
I just find what you say to be polarised from wider opinions.
I see what you're saying, but I literally have zero to no influence from others. I tried these headphones for many hours and I wrote up what I think. Of course, they are only my opinions! I do prefer a slight V-shaped sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back