Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #781 of 1,958
Was I?🤔 If you absolute need closed, don’t care about hearing outside noise, have strong enough amp and don’t want to shell out mega bucks for some antique rare wood closed cans from 30yrs ago, if that’s you, E3 is pretty much the best choice based on sound.
Ok. So E3 you've tested as having bad outside noise leak in? Seems like a big point of contention how you repeat it. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #782 of 1,958
Ok. So E3 you've tested as having bad outside noise leak in? Seems like a big point of contention how you repeat it. Thanks.
I figured if you are buying closed you want silence; I have other issues with E3, but I am picky and don‘t have absolute need for a closed. ETA closed has better noise isolation but doesnt sound as open with smaller sound stage and lower res - pretty good for $400 however.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #783 of 1,958
The E3 isolates reasonably well from outside noise, within the limits of a passive headphone without ANC.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #784 of 1,958
The E3 isolates reasonably well from outside noise, within the limits of a passive headphone without ANC.
My ETA and NAD all have better isolation and neither has ANC.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #786 of 1,958
You can only judge for yourself by using them. Reviews and recommendations are useful but irrelevant. Everyone is hot now for Empyrean II but I dislike Meze fit. Also the Abyss MR but I feel like they are going to fall off my head they are so loose so the sound doesn’t matter. I may try out the Modhouse Tungsten but waiting 12 weeks and then possibly being let down may not be worth it.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #788 of 1,958
Theres no shot your gear list is to many to list, also how does one use the emojis on the site?
I'd say your question is off topic to the E3...and my gear list needs reworked on my profile fwiw 🤷‍♂️ (emojis are above when you are typing). Let's stay on track of the E3. :peace:
Also I definitely agree that anytime you can judge on a headphone/gear yourself is the most useful way to do so. Shame it's not that easy to do.
:)

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #790 of 1,958
Do any of the E3 owners wear glasses? What impact does it have on seal, isolation, bass, etc. ?
Yes. Minimal difference on bass. Seal and isolation are both not strong regardless of glasses. E3 is a significant upgrade from stealth in terms of bass response when wearing glasses - could never get good bass from stealth.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #791 of 1,958
Been told the LessFox BX2-Pro is an amazing amp in itself - hopefully someone out there has it and can pair with E3...
Headroom way beyond any bottleneck for E3 at something near 6watts per channel....using a fraction of that.

I think BX2-Pro (£1300) + Mojo 2 with a nudge towards warmth vs H2 (£400) in DAC-out mode with balanced out port (£100) add-on is about same price as Hugo 2 (£1800) all-in.

Desktop grade contender that is transportable at least anyway.
Think it goes well with Diana iterations which are as hard to drive to full potential as E3.
59f9f0_61ebe8a970104b71bce49dc9913d67a4~mv2.jpg

I guess we can see Aeon 3's in future - but can't wait that long - so E3 it is in the meantime....
My E3 currently sitting in my local post office due to missed Saturday delivery...itching to test it out.

E3 with Stealth exterior would be perfect...not so into the flat side panel look on E3....

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #792 of 1,958
Been told the LessFox BX2-Pro is an amazing amp in itself - hopefully someone out there has it and can pair with E3...
Headroom way beyond any bottleneck for E3 at something near 6watts per channel....using a fraction of that.

I think BX2-Pro (£1300) + Mojo 2 with a nudge towards warmth vs H2 (£400) in DAC-out mode with balanced out port (£100) add-on is about same price as Hugo 2 (£1800) all-in.

Desktop grade contender that is transportable at least anyway.
Think it goes well with Diana iterations which are as hard to drive to full potential as E3.
59f9f0_61ebe8a970104b71bce49dc9913d67a4~mv2.jpg

I guess we can see Aeon 3's in future - but can't wait that long - so E3 it is in the meantime....
My E3 currently sitting in my local post office due to missed Saturday delivery...itching to test it out.

E3 with Stealth exterior would be perfect...not so into the flat side panel look on E3....
The RME Adi-2 DAC works great with it and has hardware eq. Also the FluxLabs FA-10 from Ukraine is an amazing amp with 16watts and is only $799

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #793 of 1,958
The RME Adi-2 DAC works great with it and has hardware eq. Also the FluxLabs FA-10 from Ukraine is an amazing amp with 16watts and is only $799
Only thing with FA-10 with some cans was the volume incline increments became too sensitive after a certain point..you had decent play and then around 1pm or something the slightest movement ramped too loud..that was my exp. with a few cans.
FA-22 was supposed to have an ever sweeter tonality towards lush if I remember..but yes apart from that niggle..great amp tone.

Edit : I see FA-22 is now gone in the line-up for whatever reason and they have a double amp stack called Mentor...not visited them in a while !

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #794 of 1,958
Curious about noise isolation for air travel. I’m also wondering if sound leaks from the bass port?

I’d be looking to use the E3 for home use in the morning to go along with my Atrium Closed as well as traveling with it but if sound leaks it’s a no go.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the E3 yet at my local store but don’t really want to go down there and spend considerable time with it if I’m not ready to pull the trigger. I have budget to only buy two headphones this year as I’m limiting myself to $6000. So I’ve got 5-6 headphones on my shortlist.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #795 of 1,958
Curious about noise isolation for air travel. I’m also wondering if sound leaks from the bass port?

I’d be looking to use the E3 for home use in the morning to go along with my Atrium Closed as well as traveling with it but if sound leaks it’s a no go.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the E3 yet at my local store but don’t really want to go down there and spend considerable time with it if I’m not ready to pull the trigger. I have budget to only buy two headphones this year as I’m limiting myself to $6000. So I’ve got 5-6 headphones on my shortlist.
The sound does leak a bit. It's nothing near an open back leak and I do think it's through the bass port. Even the Atrium Closed can slightly link through the holes at the bottom of the cups though. I'm getting the E3 in a couple of days as I did buy it. So I can A/B the leak to the Atrium if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back