Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #1,502 of 1,933
Shanling M9 Plus
OK, AKM AK4499EX DAC chips.
Not familiar with their core tone or the internal amp characteristics myself on that one.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #1,504 of 1,933
With R2-R it sounds much better but can’t find any DAP powerful enough with this chip.
What about a portable DAC/Amp like the iDSD Black label? It's not quite a pocket device but... Another option our team likes is a Poly/Mojo 2 as you get lossless on WiFi...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,506 of 1,933
With R2-R it sounds much better but can’t find any DAP powerful enough with this chip.
Hiby RS8 or RS6 if cost is issue. Add a PB5 amp if necessary, but I’ve had both the RS6 and the RS8 and seeing as how the DC elite dongle can power these E3 I would think both the RS6 in the RS8 would have plenty of power and they’re both great R2R dacs in a dap format.

I have the XDUOO xd05 pro and it powers them very well, the r2r dac chip isn’t out yet but should be soon. It has an 4499EX though and it’s great. Make sure to pay attention to amp output impedance And headphone impedance matching. For Instance on this unit the single ended output impedance is 50 ohms but the balanced output impedance is less than equal to .4 ohms so it’s a much better match out of balanced for the E3. This should apply to all amplifiers. Make sure you check their specs, considering these are 27 or 28 ohm headphone impedance.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,507 of 1,933
was recommended the iBassoDX320 and love it and it drives the E3 fantastically. there is a DX320 Max now with a limited supply.
dx320 max will drive E3 with no problem. But it is too large and can't fit into the pocket. Regular dx320 is the largest size DAP I will take on the go. Although it can drive E3 better than AK kann ultra, it is not loud enough to fully enjoy the E3. Waiting ibasso release a new DAP replacing dx320. Hope it can drive E3 even better.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #1,512 of 1,933
+1 for mojo2/poly
I’m a big fan of the Mojo2 and poly combo I’ve had it twice, but I did just sell it recently deciding to go to a dap so that I could just control the music right from my one device instead of having to use my phone or tablet as a controller for the mojo combo when moving around and I found the new 4499EX to be at least equal sonically and likely better to my ears.

I should add that I’ve had both versions of the PWaudio 4.4 mm adapter for the Mojo2 and it’s definitely usable even though it doesn’t convert to balanced, but it does make the length of the mojo two with the poly longer than I would like. a Mojo3 with a 4.4 mm out and a poly would be be a definite buy & try though for me.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,513 of 1,933
I have ie600 so am noticing but don't know tje context of what you are saying can u explain real quick thanks... are saying the ie600 improves with this dac?
I’m not saying the 4499EX chip improves the IE600 per se but I’m saying I prefer the sound of these three earphones/headphones (ie600/ie900/E3) devices (that can be a little bit spicy up top) with the 4499EX over the new sabre chips. The 4499EX brings a fuller subbase and bit warmer mids along with toning down a little bit of that top end spice to my ears.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,514 of 1,933
I’m not saying the 4499EX chip improves the IE600 per se but I’m saying I prefer the sound of these three earphones/headphones devices (that can be a little bit spicy up top) with the 4499EX over the new sabre chips. The 4499EX brings a fuller subbase and bit warmer mids along with toning down a little bit of that top end spice to my ears.
Ok.. I'm looking for a portable dac to see if I need it for them, I would spend 100usd for example if Qudelix 5k did something good for them... using my phone im digitally boosting the volume so maybe at least a cheap dac could give me "real head room" ?

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,515 of 1,933
Ok.. I'm looking for a portable dac to see if I need it for them, I would spend 100usd for example if Qudelix 5k did something good for them... using my phone im digitally boosting the volume so maybe at least a cheap dac could give me "real head room" ?
I have a qudelix 5k here. I’ll try it with the E3 but I’m not holding my breath. 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back